Blade Runner (and Philip K Dick)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
I watched this film the first time on Friday. It was the final cut. I loved this film and it gets 5/5. There was a documentary afterwards about this film and they said that there were 5 different versions of this film.

A guy from work said that he's read the book by Philip K. Dick called Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? He said the book and the film are both completely different but he loves them both. I know that the vast majority of books are better than the film adaptation but I think that with a film like this it can depend on whether you've seen the film before you read the book to decide which story you prefer. If you're adapting a book for the silver screen I personally think that the film should offer something different that the book doesn't or couldn't achieve through visuals. Besides films are subjective and we all have different likes and dislikes.

I also know that Philip wrote Minority Report. Now this another of one of my all time favourite films. When I read about Philip it said that he questioned the existence of reality and the role of capitalism. It seems that he was a hugely influential writer, because although The Matrix was an original screenplay and They Live was based on a short story by another author, these films both come up with similar themes. I can also see influences in another sci-fi film called The Island with Ewan Mcgreggor. I haven't seen the other films based on his books called Total Recall or a Scanner Darkly.

Blade Runner is now my favourite sci-fi film followed by They Live, 2001 A Space odyssey and Minority Report.

Back
Top Bottom