Battlestar Galactica Seasons 4 & 4.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally watched this last night. Quite the intense episode. Didn't expect them to make it to Earth that quickly.

Interesting theories, melon, although I'm not sure if the fifth cylon is someone who is already dead, based on that quick preview we got at the end with Tigh's quote. And although deep posted the picture that could possibly support that theory, I don't know how significant the missing person from the table is. I don't think it necessarily means that it refers to someone who has already died - it just could have been their way of filling in the space with who you think the fifth cylon is.

Although I do agree that it is most likely a female.

Interesting theories, melon, although I'm not sure if the fifth cylon is someone who is already dead, based on that quick preview we got at the end with Tigh's quote.

The point of arguing that it could be someone already "dead" is that this person would have been resurrected, like one would expect from a Cylon, and that he/she was resurrected on this planet. Hence, a resurrected "Fifth Cylon" could be what Tigh finds.

The point of arguing that it could be someone already "dead" is that this person would have been resurrected, like one would expect from Cylon, and that he/she was resurrected on this planet. Hence, a resurrected "Fifth Cylon" could be what Tigh finds.

Ah yes, I forgot that part.

Sure is possible. I guess the question is if the original five had the ability to be resurrected.

It's a cool show, and I just started watching it this season (and getting caught up via the SciFi chan reruns).

I was eager to see how the writers would handle finding earth because they seem really creative and unlikely to do something boring and predictable, like have them find a dead, post-apocalyptic, nuked-out earth. I mean with all the plot twists and unexpected things the show's given us, I couldn't imagine what the final episodes would be like.

So you can imagine my disappointment when they finally find... a dead, post-apocalyptic, nuked-out earth. :rolleyes: How original. :yawn: I guess when you're under a tight budget, and don't want to hire more cast members, the easy and predictable ending wins out.

But I guess there are a bunch of episodes left, so maybe they'll pull out a good ending after all. I just hope it's not something else cheap and predictable.

The curse word 'Battlestar Galactica' created - CNN.com

The curse word 'Battlestar Galactica' created

NEW YORK (AP) -- Lee Goldberg thinks Glen A. Larson is a genius, and not because the prolific television writer and producer gave us "Knight Rider" and "B.J. and the Bear."

It was Larson who first used the faux curse word "frak" in the original "Battlestar Galactica." The word was mostly overlooked back in the '70s series but is working its way into popular vocabulary as SciFi's modern update winds down production.

"All joking aside, say what you will about what you might call the lowbrow nature of many of his shows, he did something truly amazing and subversive, up there with what Steven Bochco gets credit for, with 'frak,' " Goldberg said.

There's no question what the word stands for and it's used gleefully, as many as 20 times in some episodes.

"And he was saying it 30 years ago in the original goofy, god-awful 'Battlestar Galactica,' " said Goldberg, a television writer and novelist whose credits include "Monk" and "Diagnosis Murder."

The word is showing up everywhere -- on T-shirts, in sit-coms, best-selling novels and regular conversation.

"I have to start by saying that I'm drinking coffee out of a mug that says 'frak off' on the side of it, so much has it seeped into my life," "Galactica" star Jamie Bamber said.

The word is insinuating its way into popular vocabulary for a simple reason.

You can't get in trouble. It's a made-up word.

"It may have been the great George Carlin who talked about these things so cleverly," Larson said. "He'd say, 'Mother would say shoot, but she meant ... when she reached in and burned her fingers on the crocker.' And the child says, 'I know what you meant, Mom.' "

The word has slipped the bonds that tethered other pretenders like Mork's "shazbot" in "Mork & Mindy" or Col. Sherman T. Potter's "horse hockey" in "M*A*S*H." Its usage has moved from the small but fervent group of "Galactica" fans into everyday language. It's shown up in very mainstream shows like "The Office," "Gossip Girl" and "Scrubs." One YouTube posting has 2 minutes of sound bites that cover the gamut.

"I'm in my own little cocoon of science fictiondom, but it is certainly used around here and amongst the people I know," said Irene Gallo, art director at the sci-fi imprint Tor Books, where employees held a "frak party" to watch the season premiere. "It's sort of a way to be able to use a four-letter word without really getting into any kind of HR trouble or with people you're really not quite comfortable being yourself with."

The word has even appeared in the funny pages where Dilbert muttered a disconsolate "frack" -- the original spelling before producers of the current show changed it to a four-letter word -- after a particularly dumb order from his evil twit of a boss.

"Dilbert" creator Scott Adams calls the word "pure genius."

"At first I thought 'frak' was too contrived and it bothered me to hear it," Adams said. "Over time it merged in my mind with its coarser cousin and totally worked. The creators ingeniously found a way to make viewers curse in their own heads -- you tend to translate the word -- and yet the show is not profane."

Best-selling novelist Robert Crais slips the word into the prologue of his latest Elvis Cole mystery, "Chasing Darkness." He did it because "Galactica" is his favorite show, like calling out in the wilderness to his fellow fans. But he sees the word popping up everywhere, even among those who have never watched the show.

"It's viral, it spreads like a virus," Crais said. "That first wave of people who use it are all fans. They use it because they're tickled by it and like me they're paying an homage to the show. When they're using it, they're probably doing it with a sly wink. But as it gets heard and people use it, it spreads."

The re-imagined "Battlestar Galactica" tells the story of the human survivors of a war with a robotic race known as the Cylons. Fewer than 40,000 humans remain in a ragtag fleet being pursued across space by the Cylons, who wiped out the 12 colonies in a surprise nuclear holocaust.

Their destination is the mythical planet Earth, a legend passed down in religious texts. Shooting wrapped in July and the final 10 episodes will appear beginning in January.

Larson, one of television's most prolific and successful writers, doesn't much care for the new series. He used "frack" and its cousin "feldergarb" as alternates for curse words because the original "Battlestar" was family friendly and appeared on Sunday nights. The words fit in with his philosophy that while the show was about humans, it shouldn't have an Earthly feel.

In what he said was his first interview about the series, Larson says there were no red fire extinguishers on his Battlestar Galactica and characters wore original costumes, not suits and ties.

"Our point was to whenever possible make it a departure like you're visiting somewhere else," Larson said. "And we did coin certain phrases for use in expletive situations, but we tried to carry that over into a lot of other stuff, even push brooms and the coin of the realm."

When new series producer Ron Moore first introduced "frak" in early scripts, Bamber said the actors were dubious. But as writers expanded its use, they caught on to the possibilities.

"I mean why are we not offended by 'frak' because it means exactly the same thing as the other thing?" said Bamber, who plays fighter pilot-turned-president Lee "Apollo" Adama. "So it raises questions about language and why certain words are offensive. Is it their meaning? ... Clearly it's not their meaning. Clearly it's literally their sound."

Co-executive producer and writer Michael Angeli, an Emmy nominee for the episode "Six of One," said using the word in scripts is satisfying for anyone who's been censored over the years.

"It's a great way to do something naughty and get away with it," Angeli said. "One of the things that television shows do constantly is they battle with Standards and Practices over what can be seen and what can't be seen, what can be said and what can't be said.

"A lot of our characters are soldiers. That whole sort of view and that subculture, that's how they speak. They're rough and tumble, and they're bawdy and they swear."

He said producers have gotten no complaints from SciFi owner NBC Universal or the Federal Communications Commission.

Goldberg believes Larson should get more credit for "frak" and has posted an appreciation on his Web site. He even sought out Larson to let him know how he feels: "I told him, 'Frak is fraking brilliant, Glen.' "

The politically insightful Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5

The twice Emmy-nominated and Peabody award-winning new Battlestar Galactica is the most politically-insightful show EVER in the history of American pop culture -- far more complex and dramatically-realistic than 24 or The West Wing. This re-imagined show (which is nothing like the usual escapist sci-fi, let alone the atrocious 1970s show from which it derives only vaguely its premise) intelligently explores themes ranging from terrorism, torture, war, religious faith, political campaigns, the tension between civilian and military authority in a fragile democracy, abortion, stem-cell research, genocide, marital problems, labor disputes, and, most recently throughout Season 3, the complicated politics of collaboration in an occupied regime and the meting out of justice afterward.

While the writing never feels too aping of current world issues, Ronald D. Moore and his staff show greater understanding of history and world affairs than most of the US media (except PBS) with its short-term sense of causality and American nationalist leanings that have led most recently to a war in Iraq that went largely unquestioned until it was too late.

It challenges conventional perceptions in US culture in very thoughtful ways. For example, the third season premiere – for which the show has been nominated with an Emmy for Outstanding Writing -- had the "heroes" engage in suicide bombings against the "villains" because, unlike most of the US media, the head writer understands that terrorism is a means, and not morally worse than war since both are terrible and violent means of solving political problems. This is not to say I agree with anything resembling Al Qaeda or its followers, but the American Revolution (especially in the South, where US soldiers would engage in hit and run attacks and use deceptive propaganda about British-allied natives raping white women) and French Resistance in WWII were terrorism, and Hitler used war, proving that war can be just as deplorable as terrorism in its goals and means.

There are two definitions of “terrorism” as far as I can tell. The scale definition relates to extreme strategies adopted by a weaker actor against state actors; the latter are able to enforce unjust laws and use overwhelming, selectively-targeted force to achieve their ends. American Revolutionaries shocked Britons by violating “civilized” warfare protocol with their guerrilla warfare. This definition provides no moral distinction from state violence, but is the real reason states object to terrorism: it challenges their authority.

The other definition is a behavioral one of using fear to provoke compliance. State actors like Blair or Bush – Putin or Pinochet -- claim this as their justification for opposing terrorism. Yet the history shows that terrorists can and do use restraint, as in the case of Hamas, which is not nearly as brutal as Al Qaeda-type groups in its goals and methods, no matter what Sen. McCain says in implying that all terrorism is equal. History is full of examples of states using coercion – terror – to carry out their objectives, including brutal violence, even if that damage is collateral. For Sen. McCain to claim Israel’s mostly civilian killings in Lebanon in 2006 [insert present Israeli massacre of Palestinians in Gaza, now over 800 and mounting] were morally superior to the 100 [insert present Israeli death toll of 15 or so] or so military officer killings carried out by Hezbollah because they fall under the convenient rubric of “collateral damage” does not excuse them any more. We all know that when we wage war, innocents die. In this light, America criticizing Iran for sponsoring Hezbollah is hypocritical against America’s decades-long support for Israel’s terrorism against Palestinians, let alone its role in the brutality of Latin American regimes against leftist discontent in the name of the Cold War.

What is equally impressive with how these issues are discussed on Battlestar Galactica is how the characters are portrayed. There is not one hero on this show who doesn't occasionally do "the wrong thing", but feels no guilt about it because they don't realize how wrong they are; there is not one character ("good guy" or "bad") who does not show both dark and heroic traits in a way that is similar to human nature.

Without presenting simple answers, this show is so real that it can change how we traditionally look at our societies. I firmly believe this insight can reduce conflict in this world. What this program depicts so well is that “the other” is not as homogeneously terrible as we might think and that “we” are not necessarily as good or as true to our principles as we’d like to believe; each side stereotypes the other and prejudges its individuals based on what the group has done. There is no pure good or evil person in this series, only what is in-between – that we all have the capacity for kindness and selfishness, for clarity and mistakes -- which is far truer to human nature.

I am a student of history and have been disillusioned and saddened to learn from many university professors that the biographical and other works (including many on the genius of the US founders) written by many historians are actually deceptive hagiographies, as are the high school history books that seek only to uphold those on "our" side while completely denigrating those on the other. It is my strong feeling that this approach to history has harmed societies, including the US and the rest of the West. It is only when we learn about the capacity for fault and kindness in all of us, and of our great heroes’ abilities to make mistakes that we may better judge our past and plan for the future as peoples and voters.

"Battlestar Galactica" is the kind of show that best resembles the reality of human relations. Perhaps its one slightly weak area is its exploration of romance, but the painful side of love is written beautifully. It deserves attention, despite losing to formulaic shows in televised award shows. It also features an impeccable cast of actors, including Academy Award Nominees Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell.

Here is an excellent interview with the head writer about how he approaches dealing with political issues and writing morally-ambiguous characters.

The man behind "Battlestar Galactica" | Salon Arts & Entertainment

First the Season premiere this Friday January 16th will be 3.5 minutes longer so set your VCRs or Tivos or in-front-of-the-tv plans accordingly.

Second, here's Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama) expressing my opinion about why the show is so great in terms of exploring the human condition, as opposed to J.J. Abrams' garbage:

Question:There’s been so much talk about how Battlestar redefined the sci fi genre. In your opinion, why was it that the genre was in such dire need of a makeover in the first place?

Jamie Bamber: I’m not a genre expert, but what I would say is that television sci fi had perhaps been going down a slightly repetitive route of fancy, really. It was conjecture for the hell of it. Stories weren’t really shaped to really ask any profound questions or pertinent questions about the way we live our lives today, which is really what sci fi exists to do. Most fantasies and most allegories – it’s about trying to make a salient story that makes salient points about what it is to be a human being. If you forget that, or if you become fixated on the trappings of sci fi, and forget the importance of really powerful stories and that we’re really [examining] what it is to be a human being on this particular planet, then you risk being sort of irrelevant and escapist, and certainly most sci fi on TV had gone down that road…..

Full interview here, though I would avoid it to keep up the surprises; I've skimmed over parts discussing future events in the show:
http://thebiz.fancast.com/2008/12/jamie_bamber_on_the_end_of_bat.html

I would add that Mr. Bamber's quote reminds us that we should view present events from the perspective of BSG. So, the massacre of Palestinians in Israel is nearly as bad as the Cylon occupation of New Caprica. Though, admittedly, it's not a direct parallel to that continuing conflict alone, but an amalgam of it, Iraq, Israel's occupation of Lebanon, Nazi occupation of Vichy France, and numerous colonial exercises in "civilization" and "coexistence". It's unacceptable that most American politicians and the mainstream media are endorsing this kind of "security". That's the same excuse the Founders used on Deep Space Nine and Stalin used after WWII -- security at the cost of others' freedoms and lives. Disgusting.

The most up-to-date tracking of interviews and all BSG news is best found here:
http://galacticasitrep.blogspot.com/

What you had before was fine - Battlestar Galactica - The Final Season, or what elfa said.

Or something like that.

No offense to Muldfeld, but he gets mocked a lot when overusing "politically insightful".

I've yet to watch them....they serve as bridges between 4.0 and 4.5?

24, now this, then fucking Lost is back.

Yeah, it's a mini story about Gaeta and Number 8 / Athena. Racetrack is in parts of it so there's that too. And Gaeta is rather aptly named.

I cannot stand 24. I don't get how people love it so much. It just seems so goofy to me.

I'm looking forward to Lost.

Yeah, it's a mini story about Gaeta and Number 8 / Athena. Racetrack is in parts of it so there's that too. And Gaeta is rather aptly named.

I cannot stand 24. I don't get how people love it so much. It just seems so goofy to me.

I'm looking forward to Lost.

24 is not everyone's cup of tea, I understand.

Think of how many people will not watch BSG cos it's "Sci-Fi".

Thanks for the downlow on the webisodes. I'll watch tonight or tomorrow.

I hope to get to my sib's house tomorrow (well, later today), and watch at least 50% of the BSG Marathon of reruns.... :hyper: :drool: I have no cavble TV.

I have only seen up to season 3, missed the websodes . My friend has seen the websodes, and made VHS tapes for me from Season 3 DVD's she borrowed from the library b/c my portable DVD player is not working, and my VRC is.

I did get spoiled looking at (?) Sci FI Now latest cover :grumpy: re Earth about 2 weeks back.

have a good time watching the new episode. I suspect my sib will be back home before 10PM and i'll have to leave.

Back
Top Bottom