Bad Movie Sequels- The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
Movie sequels: Some are awesome. Some are horseshit. I loved the first Hangover movie, but the second one was awful. I loved the first Ace Ventura movie, but Ace 2 made Hangover 2 look like the Godfather 2. :wink: Summer is in full swing, so what better time to list some of your baddest movie sequels.

Here are my 5 bad movie sequels (that come to mind right at this moment :wink:)

-Jaws 4- Jaws follows the Brody family all the way down to the Bahamas. Thankfully, I didn't see this in the movies and caught it the next year when there was nothing on premium cable.

-Another 48 Hours- This one came out during Eddie Murphy's run of bad movies from the late 80's into the 90's. Unfortunately, I saw this one in the movies and I definitely wanted my money back.

-Caddyshack 2- No Bill Murray. No Rodney. No way.

-Batman and Robin- Batman 4 was the worst of the Batman movies from 89-97. In this one, it seems like Arnold's Mr. Freeze is in the movie a whole lot more than George Clooney's Batman. I could deal with George's intepretation of Batman. I couldn't deal with Arnold dominating the film.

-Weekend at Bernie's 2- Bernie is still dead, but thanks to Voodoo, he's been revived. I remember seeing this one in the dog days of Summer when I had seen all the other good movies and there was nothing left to see.

Ok, folks, what are some of your baddest sequels? My criteria is that the you had to at least find the original movie good. Examples: Rocky was great, but Rocky 5 sucked. Vacation was great, but European Vacation was horseshit.

I've always liked Bowfinger. Completely beats the odds of being crap as it not only has him playing a dual role, but also being a recent Steve Martin film.

My crap sequels:
Men in Black II
It's as if everyone involved had a lobotomy between this and the original, as well as Will Smith's character (forget if he's J or K). Probably the worst movie I've ever paid money for.

Terminator 3
I hate this movie more than any other, I really do. But the bathroom fight and subsequent Arnie reprogramming elevate it to just above MiB II. It's also the one film I've seen at Grauman's Chinese Theatre, so I can never forget it.

Die Another Day
Along with Batman and Robin and Spider-man 3, an example of how a truly bad film can sink a franchise and necessitate a reboot. After an awesome debut in Goldeneye it was such a shame to see Brosnan become a latter day-Moore, with CGI seemingly from the same era.

The Matrix Reloaded
And I was so looking forward to this one. But all I got was a mumbo jumbo plot and uninvolving, emotionless CGI fight scenes where nothing is at stake. Pass.

Interesting choices. I gave up on MIB after the first one. I gave up on Matrix after the second one. I did actually like T3, but it was the weakest one of the franchise. Never saw DAD. Gave up on the Pierce 007's after Goldeneye. I liked Spidey 3. Thought it was better than Spidey 2, but I liked that one also.

I liked MIB III as well. MIB II was kinda shit, just a braindead version of the first with a plot I can't even recall.

Jaws 4 is fucking depressing. It looks more like a straight-to-video flick than 3, which is funnier and probably worse, though at least more ambitious.

I've always liked Bowfinger. Completely beats the odds of being crap as it not only has him playing a dual role, but also being a recent Steve Martin film.

Die Another Day
Along with Batman and Robin and Spider-man 3, an example of how a truly bad film can sink a franchise and necessitate a reboot. After an awesome debut in Goldeneye it was such a shame to see Brosnan become a latter day-Moore, with CGI seemingly from the same era.

The Matrix Reloaded
And I was so looking forward to this one. But all I got was a mumbo jumbo plot and uninvolving, emotionless CGI fight scenes where nothing is at stake. Pass.
I actually liked Bowfinger, but it alone can't undo all the crap Murphy has done, Pluto Nash alone should be enough to send him into exile forever.

Die Another Day almost seemed more interested in promoting Madonna than being a Bond Film, I'll add that the last few Roger Moore Bond films were as bad or in the case of A View to a Kill, far worse...sad when the best part of a movie from a storied franchise is a Duran Duran song (and Tanya Roberts...oh how awful)

And both Matrix sequels were such complete letdowns. Word that Larry Wachowski wanted a sex change was probably just a cover for the fact that he was forced by the movie gods to be castrated for providing the world with such horrible sequels.

Jaws 4 is fucking depressing. It looks more like a straight-to-video flick than 3, which is funnier and probably worse, though at least more ambitious.

The premise alone was a signal that we were in for something "special"...did no Hollywood exec think the idea that a shark would follow Ellen Brody from Amity Island to the Bahamas sounded just a tad too preposterous? What, old Bruce the shark just knew flight schedules out of Logan and headed south to enjoy some tasty Brody snacking?

The premise alone was a signal that we were in for something "special"...did no Hollywood exec think the idea that a shark would follow Ellen Brody from Amity Island to the Bahamas sounded just a tad too preposterous? What, old Bruce the shark just knew flight schedules out of Logan and headed south to enjoy some tasty Brody snacking?

I saw Jaws 3-D in the movies with those shitty paper 3-D glasses. That same Summer I went down to Sea World and saw the mechanical shark there. I think we even took a picture with him. Jaws Revenge was the worst of the bunch though. I remember reading a review for it and they mentioned the exact same thing that you did about the shark going from Amity to the Bahamas. Bruce was led there by the smell of Brody blood. That and the chance to see Michael Caine star in another shitty movie.

Men in Black II is fucking horrendous. It's also incredibly funny in a number of stupid ways only my girlfriend and I find amusing, I'm sure.

I adore it.

Diehard 2
Terminator Salvation (fucking horrible :lol:)
Exorcist sequels
A view to a kill
Jaws sequels
The Lost World Jurassic Park 2 (Wholly crap that was bad!)
Batman and Robin (Unfortunately I saw this monstrosity in the theatre :reject:)
Ernest sequels
Psycho remake (Van Sant should go to the wood chipper for that one)
Star Trek Insurrection
Star Trek Nemesis

I'll assume the new Totall Recall will suck ass, but I hope I'm wrong.

There are so many! :madwife:

1. The Next Karate Kid
2. Ocean's Twelve
3. Legally Blonde 2
4. Battle Of the Planet of the Apes
5. Mean Girls 2
6. The Fly II
7. Friday the Thirteenth VIII
8. Every 'Halloween' movie after the first one. (Including that gory re-make)

1. The Next Karate Kid

Karate Kid 3 was pretty shitty. I'd say even worse than Next. Why? Cuz at least in Next they got rid of Ralph Macchio pretending to be a "kid' and got some young blood in there instead. Plus, Daniel was a huge dumbass in 3. Good thing he was reasonably good looking or the chicks would have ignored him cuz he was such a dipshit.

MrPryck2U said:
Karate Kid 3 was pretty shitty. I'd say even worse than Next. Why? Cuz at least in Next they got rid of Ralph Macchio pretending to be a "kid' and got some young blood in there instead. Plus, Daniel was a huge dumbass in 3. Good thing he was reasonably good looking or the chicks would have ignored him cuz he was such a dipshit.

I didn't even SEE 3.
Is it worth watching, to get a good laugh?
I'm kind of curious now...

Did you like the first one?

Yes actually I did, the concept was intiguing and the acting was surprisingly good.

Hostel 2 was just a rehash, without the element of surprise and I didn't enjoy it.

.....and don't even get me started on Hostel 3....lol. I don't think ANYONE saw it except the director....I personally saw the trailer and didn't even bother to see the movie (maybe cos it didn't even reach movie screens....).

A rare exception to the "bad sequel" syndrome (in my opinion) is the SAW franchise. I have seen parts 1 through 6 and as an avid horror movie buff I have to say that each movie was better than the previous one (which was good to start with). The first movie was very good (and the only one that actually had a saw IN it...lol), and parts 2-6 were also very good and could be watched independently of each other.

To get back on topic....anyone see "Grease 2"?....heehee.

Back
Top Bottom