Anime and/or manga lovers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtooellen

New Yorker
Don't hate on the cartoons speaking in different languages. :wink:
Perhaps good recommendations?

Right now, I watch Bleach and Naruto-- the only two shows that I'm always updated with.
Other shows I saw/recommend:

- Death Note (Japanese version is beyond better than the shitty American rendition)
- Elfien Lied (incredible show... so fucking twisted that it's great)
- Serial Experiments Lain (similar to the Matrix concept but pretty intense; slow show but very thought-provoking)
- Paranoia Agent (I haven't watched it yet but it sounds pretty cool, a lot of people recommend it, so I thought about recommending it.. haha)

A bunch that I have on my 'Anime to watch' list are: One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Gantz, Chobits, Gunslinger Girl, and so on.

I searched the threads in the past and found one anime-related topic.... from 2003. I thought about bumping it, but I figured I could just start an updated version.

So any fans out here?

(If you want to insult the topic, please, leave this thread. There are some who thoroughly enjoy it.)

:)

I likes me some Anime...

I have barely seen any of the newer ones but off the top of my head besides the holy trilogy of Anime (Akira, Ghost In The Shell and Princess Mononoke) I have seen:

-Berserk
-Rurouni Kenshin
-X
-Fruits Basket
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Escaflowne
-Trigun
-Blue Seed
-Helsing
-Lain
-Countless others...

I know a couple of others around here watch it; Lance, Beav, Unico and LJT come to mind.

^ nice!

I've never heard of the holy trinity... :hmm:

You've seen (Serial Experiments?) Lain? (same Lain as the one I previously mentioned or something different?)

I don't think I'll ever get over Death Note though... fucking crazy ass shit. :up: If you haven't watched that, I strongly suggest you do. :up: :up:

I've never heard of the holy trinity... :hmm:

:shocked:

You've never watched Akira, Ghost In The Shell or Princess Mononoke?? You should watch those ones.

You've seen (Serial Experiments?) Lain? (same Lain as the one I previously mentioned or something different?)

Same thing, it was alright, a little too slow paced for my taste.

I don't think I'll ever get over Death Note though... fucking crazy ass shit. :up: If you haven't watched that, I strongly suggest you do. :up: :up:

My friend was mentioning this one, I think I will check it out.

Grave of the Fireflies and Porco Rosso are pretty much my two favourite anime movies, both from Studio Ghibli . The former in particular is a must watch.

*points to av and sig* :drool:

I love me some anime too. Ghost in the Shell is just... :combust:

And Miyazaki is virtually a god.

I'm a huge Miyazaki/Ghibli fan, favorites are Nausicaa and Spirited Away, also Grave of the Fireflies.

Another great who hasn't been mentioned is Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue).

Cowboy Bebop is a must-see, Evangelion was fantastic, and anyone watch the old Robotech/Macross stuff?

I've seen a little Satoshi Kon. Fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing more.

Seen a little Bebop too. Funky stuff.

Guess it's worth mentioning Nausicaa is my favorite Miyazaki film. Maybe even favorite anime feature all together. :up:

A lot of the anime mentioned are stuff that I never heard of. I'm so very happy ya'lls be recommendin' shiettt.

I just watched episode 13 of Chobits. It's kind of lame, but I'm really enjoying it. Some funny stuff in there. One of the great things about anime is that they overexaggerate certain emotions (like embarrassment) and I absolutely love it. :love: Those moments always bring out a chuckle from me.

Just a quick question:

If it is a Japanese movie with American voices is it still Anime?

Yes, but it is called "the horrendous American remake"... :crack:

I hate it when it's dubbed with English. I can't stand the monotonous voices and the terrible lack of enthusiasm.

Is it animated and was it made in Japan but now has English dubbed dialogue?

I'm not to sure, when I did japanese in school we watched a movie called Spirited away, and another one with Dekota Fanning doing the voice over, which i can't remeber the name.

We also watched Salior Moon, which has english dialouge. Is that classed as anime?

I would consider any animation of a certain type that happened to have been made in Japan (and occasionally other nearby countries) to be anime, even if it has English dub-overs for international editions - Sailor Moon and Spirited Away were originally in Japanese, for instance, Zoobaby.

SP is right, both are considered anime because they were made in Japan and originally dubbed in Japanese. Almost all anime nowadays comes with both the English dub track and the original (and superior in most cases) Japanese track thanks to DVD.

The only time I can stand an English track now is if I originally was exposed to the movie or show in English first. When I first saw Akira, Ghost In The Shell and Princess Mononoke they were all in English. While I think the Japanese track is better, I can handle them in English.

Speaking of, Lance, have you ever watched Battle Angel in English? I bought a VHS copy years ago for a bargain price but when I got home and started watching I realized why – it was in English :doh: After seeing it first in Japanese it was terrible, I only managed to watch the first 10 minutes before turning it off.

Actually, on that note, sometimes dubs can be better than the original... I honestly found the Mexican dub of Dragon Ball Z more tolerable than the Japanese one.

^ my friend was telling me that in the Japanese one the voices are high pitched, whereas the English one the voices are masculine. :|

^ my friend was telling me that in the Japanese one the voices are high pitched, whereas the English one the voices are masculine. :|

Yes, they do sound rather high-pitched, but I can't say the English ones are much more "masculine" - rather comically exaggerated. The script changes in the English version tended to be shitty, too.

Speaking of, Lance, have you ever watched Battle Angel in English? I bought a VHS copy years ago for a bargain price but when I got home and started watching I realized why – it was in English :doh: After seeing it first in Japanese it was terrible, I only managed to watch the first 10 minutes before turning it off.

I actually think it's sort of terrible in both languages. :eek:

The original 9 volumes of the graphic novel are unbelievable though.

Bokurano is excellent if you like twistedness...basically about a bunch of kids that get tricked into piloting a giant mecha to protect the world. Each has to pilot it as it uses your life to power it, so they die after each battle...tis incredibly depressing, but each kid is characterised pretty well, even the ones that go early on.

I can't recommend Mushishi enough, if you like your mystery/myth type stories...it's very episodic but beautifully animated, tis a slow burner but a great one. Just magical.

I heard Dalton has a pretty extensive collective of hentai.

I can't recommend Mushishi enough, if you like your mystery/myth type stories...it's very episodic but beautifully animated, tis a slow burner but a great one. Just magical.

There's a pretty attractive complete series set of this, but it's like $40 used. I did find a used copy of volume 1 for only $4, so I'm going to check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

You won't be disappointed. It really is a one of a kind series. Each episode focuses on a 'mushi'...best I can describe them as, is a spirit like creature that can be beneficial, parasitic or has in general no effect on the local people or towns. But when they conflict with the humans, it's up to a Mushishi (a mushi expert) to come sort it out...without necessarily harming the mushi. Some of the conflicts are quite interesting. The story follows Ginko the Mushishi, and the story especially about how he lost his eye and came to be (towards the end) is really quite brilliant.

Most of how the mushi come about seem to stem from Japanese folk myths...there's just something so enigmatic about the series. It's such a peaceful show but there always seems to be some kinda tension that winds up in the later episodes.

I've heard excellent things about...tis meant to be again episodic but they are interconnecting stories. It's rated quite highly on anidb.net which is where I usually go to find out about anime, as I used to download direct fansubs and what not. Still go to a few sites which stream the fansubs as well.

Anyway to wet your appetite for Mushishi I found an excellent AMV for it and instead of the usual shitty emo song they stick over these things, someone put it to There There by Radiohead.

YouTube - Mushishi AMV

I would also like to point out Noein is an incredible series. Sci-fi/parallel universe setting. Extremely unique art direction, and some of the best action animation and direction i've seen in any medium. Physics geeks should love it as well, but the characterisation and story in general is top notch. I came close to crying a few times in it, there's something about kids making tough decisions or put in really awful situations that sets me off.

In fact anime seems to be the only visual art form that has brought me close to tears...Grave of Fireflies, the end of Cowboy Bebop and Chrno Crusade (that's engrish btw not my bad spelling)

Anyway a taster of Noein.

YouTube - Noein Amv

Back
Top Bottom