Animation of the 20's, 30's, 40's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
and perhaps a little of the 50's, we were discussing old Disney/Looney Tunes/Whatever cartoons in the superthread, and realized that the conversation might be a bit more interesting if it was taken to Zoo Station. I absolutely love cartoons from this time period, and I'm curious what other people's favorites are.

To start things off, this is probably mine:

YouTube - Donald Duck - Duck Pimples

probably as out there as Disney gets.

I was always told to check out Minnie the Moocher, just never got around to it. That was....odd. But worth it.

Here's a few more Disney stuff I think you should check out. Especially the first one, even before I loved music, and playing it, this was one of my favorite cartoons:

YouTube - Disney Silly Symphony - Music Land

This one wasn't on youtube! Video Animatie - Silly Symphony - Old King Cole (1933)

and one of the many art of...Goofy cartoons, they are some great things, kind of like the Looney Tunes A Day at the Zoo type cartoons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4nBVgFQfK8

and with that, I bid you a good night.

Duck Pimples is a really weird cartoon (obviously) and I enjoyed it a lot - I just haven't gotten around to watching that many Disney cartoons. And as well as the surreal genre was done there, it didn't feel quite as fulfilling as when the Fleischers or Robert Clampett would do it, to me anyway.

Duck Pimples is a really weird cartoon (obviously) and I enjoyed it a lot - I just haven't gotten around to watching that many Disney cartoons. And as well as the surreal genre was done there, it didn't feel quite as fulfilling as when the Fleischers or Robert Clampett would do it, to me anyway.

I think the reason I like it so much is that being surreal was not their intention. I have never looked into it, but I don't know. I think I also like it cause it's still kinda cute, and, like Mel said, it's got a plot to an extent. Yeah, Bob Clampett has a tendency to do some really weird stuff. Bugs burying Elmer alive, for example.

So, I said that Book Revue was my favourite cartoon in the Superthread, but it's too close to really give it a call. I'd say it ties with another Clampett cartoon:

I'm ashamed to say that I think Hitler is really likable in this. And that last facial expression he does after the Lew Lehr impression just kills me.

The drawing of Hitler as a jackass at the 6:00 mark may be the greatest thing ever.

The drawing of Hitler as a jackass at the 6:00 mark may be the greatest thing ever.

HAmazing:

jackass.jpg

The cartoons back then were amazing. I have old cassette tapes of them that I still watch every now and then. Todays cartoons give me the creeps.

Well to be fair, cartoons from that era were designed specifically as part of full theater programs, whose audiences ranged from young children to seniors. The short cartoons were really one of the most essential components of the program in appealing to all demographics, so as such they are incredibly appealing... to just about everyone. Digestible and goofy enough for kids, and smart enough for adults.

There's really very little need for modern cartoons and animation to follow such a broad design methodology, as the theater program no longer exists as it once did. You get purely child-focused cartoons on television that have very little appeal for adults... but they don't need to, they aren't being marketed for them. And likewise you have a more discreet mature audience consuming an entirely different type of animation these days, with mature themes and more radical animation styles and such (think adult anime and adult swim type programing). I see a lot of distress from people over the loss of the widely-appealing animation like the Warner Bros and Disney products from that time period these days, but there's really a much-declined market for that these days, though Pixar seems to still maintain that ideal and are remarkably successful in that (now) niche approach.

Sorry, that was kind of a tangentially related rant, but there you have it.

I get what you're saying Lance. On the other hand, I think maybe some of the "parents and children don't spend time together anymore" could have something to do with the idea that TV is catering to them separately these days.

I get what you're saying Lance. On the other hand, I think maybe some of the "parents and children don't spend time together anymore" could have something to do with the idea that TV is catering to them separately these days.

That is, if you consider staring at a box to be spending quality time with one another. :wink:

That's absolutely true. I wasn't making any judgment on the rightness of it, merely acknowledging the reason for the change, that there merely is a difference in animation design because of the move from cinemas to the television.

Back
Top Bottom