American Idol - Season 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Faves for me were also Crystal & Lilly. I actually licked Siobhan too. I said to Maddy during Katie's song that they were gonna say it was too old for her. I thought she sang it fine, but it was indeed too old of a song for her. Many other performances were just meh or boring and/or bad choices of song.

So that was underwhelming.

In order of awesomeness.
1) Crystal - Yeah she rocked the Alanis. She also displayed some nice personality in responding to Simon without sounding snotty.
2) Lily - Just a beautiful rendition of an obscure Beatles song. I really love her voice.
3) Siobhan - Another beautiful voice.
4) Didi - Her voice is distinctive and I really liked her phrasing. Yeah its Adele-lite but still enjoyable.
5) Lacey- Didn't screw up Fleetwood Mac so there's that. I actually liked it but wanted to bitchslap Randy for bringing up the f'ing Dixie Chicks.

Honestly didn't like the others enough to comment. I will say I was pleasantly surprised at Kara, she had very salient points. It was weird.

First of all, there's no such thing as an obscure song off of Sgt. Peppers. Everyone in the world knows every song off of that record. Anyway, some notes on all the girls:

Paige Miles - Simon says she has the best voice of the group. Really? If she's got the best voice, we're in for a long season. Nothing great here.

Ashley Rodriguez - Better. You can tell she's got a lot of talent. I'm not a huge fan, personally, but I think she could go far in this thing.

Janell Wheeler - Mmmph. Total sweetheart, great smile. Not a very strong performance, though. As the judges said, the song was too big for her.

Lilly Scott - Very cool. Excellent song choice. Not sure if this is the right show for her, though.

Katelyn Epperly - This is where it's at. This is my girl, for sure. Very nice and controlled version of one of my favorite McCartney tracks. Such a beautiful girl, though I have to agree with Kara that she looks even better without the red lipstick and all the makeup.

Haeley Vaughn - Very likable girl, but this wasn't on point. I've heard people do stripped down, rearranged versions of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" that worked so much better than this. The arrangement was too scattered.

Lacey Brown - So boring.

Michelle Delamor - Meh. Another bad arrangement, I thought.

Siobhan Magnus - Good name. Seems like she's got an interesting personality. Not sure what to make of her yet. She's got potential, but this wasn't anything special.

DiDi Benami - Ouch. I was very disappointed that when she opened her mouth, out came another Adele wannabe. I'm gettin sick of that shit. I thought I remembered her sounding different in Hollywood week? Damn. Cute girl, though.

Crystal Bowersox - Yes. Probably the most memorable and recognizable girl in the group. She's going far in this competition. Agreed with the judges that this might not have been the best choice/her best moment, but she's gonna do good things this year. Legit baller.

Katie Stevens - Shaky performance, but I think she might have the strongest natural singing voice of the girls. She just needs to let it out. I like her.

All in all, this was a bit disappointing. Nothing too exciting, yet, but I do like a lot of these girls (especially Katelyn) and this was just the first show...so I'm hoping they can keep stepping it up and improving.

Who I would like to see go home - Lacey and Michelle. As for who actually will be going home, I have no fucking clue.

Everyone seems to like Lilly a lot more than I do. She could get annoying. In fact, that's the problem with a lot of them. Most of them seem a fine line away from getting annoying. I'm not crazy about any of them but Crystal is the obvious talent for me even though I'm not crazy about the singer-songwriter dreadlock type. Simon's advice for her was right on and I like her personality.

Here's what they're singing... seems it's not such a hot night for the boys (so far)
Todrick Hall - “Since You Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson
Aaron Kelly – “Here Comes Goodbye” by Rascall Flatts
Jermaine Sellers – “Get Here”
Tim Urban – “Apologize” by OneRepublic
Joe Munoz – “You and I” by Jason Mraz
Tyler Grady – “American Woman” by the Guess Who
Lee Dewyze – “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol
John Park – “God Bless the Child”
Michael Lynche – “This Love” by Maroon Five
Alex Lambert – “Wonderful World” by James Morrison

Apparently Casey is 11th and Andrew Garcia gets the pimp spot

For the 3rd season in a row, the guys, for the most part, are better than the girls.

Todrick was amazing. He took a huge risk creating his own arrangment for "Since U Been Gone", and I think it paid off. The judges (other than Ellen) must've been dipping in Paula's left-overs before the show. It did sound like a completely different song, and i liked it just as much if not better than Kelly's version. He sounded great, and if he really did come up with the arrangement, I'm extremely impressed. Plus, he's gorgeous.:drool: I also liked Tyler. His voice does remind me of Jim Morrison, who's one of my favorite rock vocalists ever. I do agree with the judges that some of stage moves come off as a bit copy cat, but I disagree that he needs to change his style up, at least at this stage. Um, Kara the reason he prefers music from that era is because most of it is better than the top 40 drivel you write. I think his love for classic rock is genuine, and I hope he sticks around. Apparently Simon has moved on to crack because Lee was one of the first performances of the night. There's an example of when switching up a song doesn't work. He murdered "Chasing Cars". Also, I hate his voice. It reminds me of the lead singer from LifeHouse, and I loathe that guy's voice. I hated Casey's song choice, but I still love his voice and him. He reminds me of Ray LaMontagne, but he puts his own spin on it. It's obvious he loves music, and he's soooooooo hot.:combust: I see Kara's moved on from Matt. I'll have to ask him how he feels about that.:lol: Andrew may as well be crowned the winner right now. He made me like a Fall Out Boy song. That's never happened before, and I doubt it ever will again. His voice is just awesome.

This season of American Idol worries me. I'm hoping there are some slow burners like Cook and Kris Allen or else this is going to be a loooong season.

The boys had issues. The ones I liked were Todrick. I loved that he completely re-arranged Since U Been Gone, and really hated that the judges slammed it. All they've been harping on this year is originality at now they turn on him? Weird.

Other than that, I surprisingly liked Casey James and not just because he was hot. He's got a nice voice and the guitar part was pretty good. He doesn't just sit there with his guitar.

I liked Andrew too, even if he's singing Fall Out Boy.

I think Tyler Grady has potential, but the judges are right that he needs to put a modern twist on his throwback look and sound. The same with Lee Dewize, he started out good but then got all shouty. Hopefully he can improve.

I also enjoyed Big Mike, but mostly because of his personality. Another one with personality is John Park, who was quite charming but sang the most boring song ever.

The less said about the rest of them the better. They were either horribly off pitch (Urban) or horribly awkward (Alex Lambert).

The judges really annoy me. They sit there and rag on all of them for being too boring or trying to sound too much like the original artist and they tell them to be original, to make the song unique, add their own style to them, then Toddrick comes out and does just that (totally wow'd me) and they tell him he changed the song too much and it was unrecognizable, fail blah blah. Well isn't that what you asked for? Make up your minds! I loved his performance. And then, Lee .. made me literally cringe at certain parts of his song. I thought he was off key yet Simon gives him a raving review? Yes, they must have all gotten into Paula’s crack stash. I am much more into the happy fun upbeat songs like Michael Lynch’s performance. Most of the others just bored me.

The judges really annoy me. They sit there and rag on all of them for being too boring or trying to sound too much like the original artist and they tell them to be original, to make the song unique, add their own style to them, then Toddrick comes out and does just that (totally wow'd me) and they tell him he changed the song too much and it was unrecognizable, fail blah blah. Well isn't that what you asked for? Make up your minds! I loved his performance. And then, Lee .. made me literally cringe at certain parts of his song. I thought he was off key yet Simon gives him a raving review? Yes, they must have all gotten into Paula’s crack stash. I am much more into the happy fun upbeat songs like Michael Lynch’s performance. Most of the others just bored me.

I totally agree! After they trashed Toddrick I thought maybe I liked it because I didn't know the song :reject: (I really don't listen to pop music) and so it wasn't weird for me. And then during Lee's performance I was kind of screaming at the TV that he was hurting my ears. I think that was one of those situations where what we heard at home was way different from what they heard there.

Joe Munoz is just too adorable to look at but then I have a weakness for Mexicans. I wish he sang better. Casey is so not my thing but he is far better at what he does than most of them are - at least last night. Tyler Grady is an annoying one trick pony.

I didn't like her nearly as much tonight as I did in Hollywood week. Weird song choice, although honestly, nice change from the stuff you usually hear on the show.

I agree she's a nice change and I think she's kind of adorable. But vocally she can get annoying - that's what I meant. I like her personality and I still want her to do well, and I liked her in Hollywood week, too. Just seems that a lot of the girls seemed interesting-quirky at first and then this week, just more quirky than interesting.

I didn't really like any of the guys last night. I thought they were way too hard on ... uh ... the gentleman of Asian descent whose name I can't remember and who sang God Bless the Child. I liked his low range and thought he was good.

There were a few that were just awful, and the judges rightly called them on it. Both of them had awful hair, I remember that much.

And the 70s guy creeps me out in a bad way - he looks like a serial killer.

Casey was good, but HOLY GOD they need to drop that "Kara loves Casey" schtick. It was kind of cute at the last Hollywood show (the leg-lift hug! :lol: ) but now it's just irritating and a little creepy. Poor Casey.

Casey was good, but HOLY GOD they need to drop that "Kara loves Casey" schtick. It was kind of cute at the last Hollywood show (the leg-lift hug! :lol: ) but now it's just irritating and a little creepy. Poor Casey.

I agree-no question in my mind that the guy is quite hot..but enough already. Time to focus on his singing. I kept thinking if it was Simon or Randy and a female contestant and how that would be perceived. Of course Simon has had looks (that the camera obviously focuses on) and comments about female contestants-and remember last season when they zoomed in on that woman's butt, the one who was auditioning? Not necessary-but they are up against the Olympics this time so I guess it's time to pull out all the stops.

Spoilers!!!

These four are out :wave:
Janell Wheeler
Ashley Rodriguez
Joe Munoz
Tyler Grady

I don't mind anyone who's gone except Tyler. I genuinely liked his voice and his personality. Allison and Kris both performed. Allison is amazing. Her voice blows me away every time, and I actually really liked the song she sang. She's just genuine. And I actually liked Kris' version of "Let It Be". He's grown on me since the competition, but I think that's because I'm such a fan of his bromance with Adam. Kradam 4E:love:

Do we need spoilers now that it's done on the west coast?

I was shocked with the men - not so much who went home, but who didn't go home. Alex and Tim should be thanking their lucky stars - they were both just awful. I thought Tim was going to vomit out of shock when he found out he was staying.

Not going to miss Serial Killer Tyler.

I didn't like the song Alison sang tonight, but it's a goddamn shame this wasn't a huge hit.

I totally agree. I don't understand how her album isn't selling. The songs are catchy, she's adorable and actually can sing.

Oh and I do believe American tweens are tone deaf. This might explain the appeal of Taylor Swift. The only reason Urban didn't get voted off is because the younger set think he's cute. :doh:

At this point I'm not really invested in anyone much, but I'd have been curious to see if Tyler Grady could update things a bit because he has a decent voice, not as good as Cook, but still.

Wow, I'm surprised that Ashley Rodriguez got the boot. I didn't like her much at all, but I actually thought she was ticketed for the Top 12. Shame about Janell, but she wasn't going to last very long anyway.

I missed the guys show the other night, so I can't comment on that really. But Tyler is the dude who looks like (and totally wants to be) the lead singer of the Hives? Yeah, not too mad about him leaving. And I have no clue who Joe Munoz is.

And I just watched that "Friday I'll Be Over You" video, and I think I really liked the song. Had never checked it out before for some reason. Good for Allison.

That's the best song on the album by a loooong shot, but that one song is so good, I bought the album anyway.

Alright, holy shit, I'm finally watching the guys episode from this week right now. Tim Urban, my brother, why the fuck would you pick a song with a recurring falsetto note that you can't even come close to hitting? Yowza. That's gotta be one of the worst Top 24 performances in Idol history.

Also, like Sicy and others said, the Lee Dewyze dude that Simon complimented was wayyyy pitchy, dawg.

I don't like Big Mike.

Casey had one of the better performances of the night.

I like Todrick, and I liked a few things about his little Since U Been Done redux, but the whole wasn't greater than the sum of its parts. It ended up being a bit of a mess.

They gave Andrew Garcia (star of The Untouchables and Godfather Part III) too much of a hard time. I actually thought his little acoustic Fall Out Boy song was pretty cool, all things considered. He's probably the most talented of the boys.

The girls are better than the boys, I think, overall. If only because none of the girls are as bad as Tim Urban or were as off key as Lee Dewyze.

Did you see Tim Urban's face when Joe got the boot? He was shocked, as he should be :rolleyes:

This season seems to be full of meh. :|

Gird your loins people. American Idol has had to switch the order of performances so the boys go tonight and the girls tomorrow. Word on the street is one of the girls is sick.

Link.

I wonder how this will affect some of the more fragile contestants *cough* Alex Lambert *cough*.

ETA: Crap, according to Michael Slezak at EW the contestant with the medical issue is Crystal Bowersox. Seriously, if she can't perform Wednesday I'm done with this season.

Just watched Michael. Liked it! :up:
Hope Crystal is alright! I wonder if they would have switched nights if it were another contestant :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom