American Idol - Season 8: Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Adam would have been the upset.

"After the third one leaves, you wonder where do the votes go from that third contestant," Paula Abdul said backstage after Tuesday's singing showdown.

Allen seemed the likely candidate for those viewers' affections, for on- and offstage reasons. Allen and Gokey, 29, of Milwaukee, were downright conservative when compared to Lambert's elaborate staging and wardrobe choices. Allen is a married college student and has worked as a church worship leader. Gokey, a widower, is a church music director.

I posted yesterday that Kris would take most all Gokey's vote and Cori got mad at me. :huh:

I don't care that he was gay.

I think he would have won, based on his talent, if he dialed it in a bit.

teenangel.jpg

Taylor Hicks had a big personality too.

He went further when he dialed in back a bit.

Just my thoughts.

I think many people wanted Adam's gayness to break a boundary and are blaming homophobia for him not winning.

With a little less screech I would have been 100 per cent behind Adam.

Taylor bugged me too, sometimes.

I wish Ryan would have told us the breakdown of the votes and/or if it was even close. He didn't, which makes me think it wasn't because if it was, he surely would have mentioned it for the drama. :shrug:

Loved Kara showing up bikini girl and her new friends :wink:
Tatiana was definitely staged too :up:
Norman or Nelson or whatever his name is :lol:
I liked the Mraz group sing. That song may be overplayed, but it's just fun and I like to sing along to it :)
David Cook :up: Didn't care for the lighter hair color, but that's just me.
Queen :up:
Rod Stewart - I love Maggie May, but tonight it just sucked and was lackluster. Don't know if that's Rod's fault or the band's fault, or a combination of the two. Meh.
BlackEyed Peas were energetic. Bleeped out one of Fergie's words (Maddy said it was "shit").

Adam with Kiss :rockon: I heard Adam in a post-show interview on Fox News say that the Kiss boots were his own, and that he had painted them himself. Later in the broadcast they reported that they had asked Adam who he'd like to work with in the future. He said..... Madonna!

I am taping the AI aftershow that airs on one of the Fox cable channels. They usually film this after the regular AI show, so it will be interesting to see. And I believe the top 13 are supposed to be on Larry King in the coming days, with Seacrest as host (I think).

Overall - a good show I thought. Not the outcome I wanted. I like Kris too, but thought the "crown" should have gone to Adam. Some people just love him or hate him, and apparently some are homophobic. Best of luck to them both :up:

and yeah - I think Kris benefitted most from Danny's fans/votes

America fucked this one up.

I'm not going to watch another episode of American Idol until next January.

I'd even go so far as to say that he disliked Adam even more than Tiger Edge does. :ohmy:

:up:

I only tuned into the news for about .5 seconds this morning to hear NBC interviewing someone on why Adam lost because of the Christian conservative vote.
That doesn't explain anything. If the Christian conservatives are so strong in this country, how did Obama win the election?
Two things cost Adam his crown:
a) The constant boasting of the judges. For months we were told that Adam was the king of all music. Every note sounded like a symphony and he was just perfect of the perfect of the perfect. There were times where Adam came out and sang first and the judges said, "Welp, no one's gonna top that tonight!"
How does that make the other contestants feel? I'm not in the "I think everyone's a winner" category, but I'm also not going to stand for the judges outright abuse of other contestants. If I came up after Adam I would hand the microphone back to Ryan and say, "It's obvious who you want the winner to be, so there's no point in singing here anymore," and I would have walked offstage. Where else would any of this fly? If an umpire came to the game and gave an interview on how much he wants the thinks the Brewers should win. Obviously the game is going to be thrown, no matter how hard you play. It would have been fine if they did it once or twice, but it was week after week after week. I think Kris gained all the votes of all the people who have been voted off weeks before. Including Gokey, Anoop, Allison, etc...

b) Danny Gokey voters. As I said before, those who voted for Gokey voted for Kris based on musical style. Not because ministers in churches all bonded together last Sunday and asked the good Bible folk to vote for the heterosexual on American Idol.

I think many people wanted Adam's gayness to break a boundary and are blaming homophobia for him not winning.

With a little less screech I would have been 100 per cent behind Adam.

American Idol already has its gay star, mmkay?
clay_aiken-baby-pics.jpg

Everyone knew he was gay way back when and it certainly didn't impede on his chances. As I recall correctly, Clay held the good country Southern old momma and pre-teen vote.

I needed a lot less screech for me to be behind Adam. And less of the tongue sticking out.
I'm still not sure why he auditioned for American Idol in the first place. His voice is theatrical, he should have stuck to Broadway. I thought he was already successful there? This show is about finding undiscovered talent.

Shit, man, I didn't even want Kris to win. :angry:

When Seacrest was making the announcement I knew it would be Kris. Meh, he's so cookie cutter..(John Mayer without the smug toolishness comes to mind for me). I do agree, Adam's screeching was a big problem. I honestly don't think it had much/anything to do with his sexual orientation-sure he's "flamboyant" and all that but so are other performers. He's a natural born performer, and I think he's actually more of a performer than a singer. With the right career path I think Adam could be a big star-Kris, not really. Unless he goes country.

America fucked this one up.

I'm not going to watch another episode of American Idol until next January.

hee.... I'm with you. I'm boycotting Idol until January! Of course now I have more time to watch So you think you can dance?

I agree with deep. While I personally love the screeching, Adam was very polarizing. There were quite a few people who would vote for Kris because they disliked Adam. Kris, being adorable with a singer/songwriter vibe, didn't have people motivated enough to vote against him. Couple this with the fact that apparently Arkansas is the master of powervoting and I don't believe this was close.

I will say that looking at iTunes right now, Adam has 10 songs in the top 100 including Mad World at 4, Kris has 7 with Heartless at 5. Adam also has 2 video packages in the top 10 videos.

Adam and Kris about each other.:love: from Entertainment Weekly
EW:Your friendship with Kris has been pretty amazing to watch. On paper, you don't necessarily have a lot in common. What brought you guys together?

Adam: Yeah. We were roommates, so we were kind thrown in together, and he's just like a really open minded, good person. He's got a great view of the world. We share a lot of philosophies on the world, even though we have different backgrounds. You know, I've learned a lot about his relationship with his wife. She's great. We've hung out. He's just a good guy, you know?

So you're happy he won?
I'm so happy for him. He deserves it. He's so talented, and he's a good person

EW- your friendship with Adam has been really great to watch over the course of the season. On paper, you don't necessarily have a lot in common. How did you guys find that common ground?

Kris: For me, I feel like I relate to a lot of people. And we got to be roommates. It was just like this closeness, you know? I don't know what happened. I think we just felt each other's energy, and it was nice. It just became this really good friendship. Yeah, I adore the guy. I think he's a really great guy. I'm proud of him.

I posted yesterday that Kris would take most all Gokey's vote and Cori got mad at me. :huh:

Did I? I'm sorry. :hug:

I am crushed.

:hug: to you, too.

But don't you fret. Adam will be juuuuuuuust fine. And probably even better off.

I think last year was a bit of an upset as well, with Cook winning over Archie. Not as big as an upset as this year, but still.

When Seacrest was making the announcement I knew it would be Kris. Meh, he's so cookie cutter..(John Mayer without the smug toolishness comes to mind for me). I do agree, Adam's screeching was a big problem. I honestly don't think it had much/anything to do with his sexual orientation-sure he's "flamboyant" and all that but so are other performers. He's a natural born performer, and I think he's actually more of a performer than a singer. With the right career path I think Adam could be a big star-Kris, not really. Unless he goes country.

I too had a pretty strong feeling it was going to be Kris - he simply has more mainstream appeal. Adam will go on to do much bigger things, I think. I also don't think it had anything to do with his sexuality. My officemate, for example, is in her 60s and doesn't watch Idol but she's an ol' 60s rock & roll hippie at heart, and founded an organization years ago that deals with AIDS/HIV awareness and health care - i.e., doesn't have a homophobic cell in her body. I had her watch two of the best performances by each of them, and while she thought they could both sing, she found Adam's screaming annoying. I think there were a lot of voters like that.

I also think a lot of people just related to Kris more. Adam exuded confidence and was so comfortable in his skin and onstage, and people went for the underdog, the humble guy next door they related to.

But I disagree with deep that Adam should have toned it down. I think it's great that he was himself throughout the show and I think he knew that by being true to himself he'd get the attention (and thus, the record deal) he really wanted. Now he's not all locked into the Idol contract and can entertain probably more attractive offers that are closer to what he really wants to do.

ETA: Also, most of my gay male friends preferred Kris. :shrug:

Kris will make a boring record. I hope Adam will put out something interesting. I'd rather hear something different than just some straight-forward rock where he does too much screeching.

Was it just me, or did he not really start doing the too-much-screeching until further into the competition? I thought I remembered him keeping it subtle and being much more awesome earlier in the show. Then it seemed like he started doing the screeching more and more frequently.

I think when the Idols actually release their respective (physical) CDs, it should include their Idol performances as a bonus, or released in two versions with the performances part of the "deluxe" version. It would help sales too. Just my two cents. :tongue:

Both Kris & Adam were on the local Fox News affiliate this morning. Kris had about 2 hours of sleep, Adam about 45 minutes. Not much new to add to the conversation though.

Lambert was over sold. For EW to put him on the cover two weeks ago, practically crowning him as the Idol, was ridiculous. Americans like the underdog, pure and simple.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom