American Idol - Season 10: New judges. Same amount of awesome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I've seen that book at our store. May have to skim through it sometime.

So, uh, last night's show, anyone? Freakin' BIZARRE. That guy who had the compilation CD and stuff...dear Christ, what a strange dude :coocoo:.

And I don't know who was more obnoxious, the girl who chased Randy or the guy at the end. I just sat there thinking, "Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up...".

Angela

Are we at Hollywood week yet?

I finished that Idol book, and it was very entertaining. I skimmed the bits about how the show came to be and how it came to the US because I'd read a lot of it in Simon Cowell's book a few years ago, but I dug the behind the scenes stuff.

It talked about a lot of the scandals (small and large) throughout the years, and I'd forgotten about most of them. There were also some juicier tidbits that amused me.

Apparently Crystal Bowersox was a bit of a pain in the ass. And Taylor Hicks was not there to make friends - that dude was there to win and did what he could to get there! And Kelly Clarkson's awesomeness snuck up on everyone.

Anyway, it reminded me of what I used to love about the show (and yes, love to hate). I might try giving it another go when Hollywood week comes around. I always liked those episodes and wished they spent more time on them.

Hollywood week is here. I do not know the rest of you, but what the hell is with all the "stage mom" support for that one 15 and 16 year old group??? How is that fair to everyone else who did not get that support these kids got during the most stressful stage of Hollywood Week?

15 year olds are minors, smart to have the parents there for legal reasons, these kids can not sign contracts or releases

over 18, you are an adult.

I watched last night. I wanted to smack several of those kids very hard.

Oh so irritating. But very glad that Jersey chick got sent packing.

I wanted to see more performances, not a rehash of the drama so far after every fucking commercial break.

So, Idol has officially sucked me back in after last year's snore-fest. Casey Abrams was incredible with that bass. I also really enjoyed Brett (with the curly hair, played guitar) and Colton (piano, fauxhawk). Of the girls, I loved Ashton (and I am Telling You) and Sophia (blond, bangs sang God Bless the Child).

The only one I really, really liked was Casey with the bass.

That Jordan guy has great range, but he was so over the top that I couldn't take much of it.

I can only tell myself that they must be saving some of these mediocre contestants to create drama in next week's show, because good lord they are awful. How can you let that crazy chick go through who couldn't even remember the lyrics. I thought that used to be a death nail for you. And the deep-voice country dude who keeps singing that same song went through too? The guy is so one-dimensional.

Plus I'm driving myself crazy because I can't stop randomly singing...

"baby lock the door and turn the lights down looooooow"

:crazy:

I can only tell myself that they must be saving some of these mediocre contestants to create drama in next week's show, because good lord they are awful. How can you let that crazy chick go through who couldn't even remember the lyrics. I thought that used to be a death nail for you. And the deep-voice country dude who keeps singing that same song went through too? The guy is so one-dimensional.

Fully agreed. My sister and mom were sitting there commenting on all the drama-it's so funny how immature and obnoxious these people can start getting once the group stuff starts happening. And also, there's some people who are good singers, but I don't know if they really have the stage presence that would've kept them going and would've drawn people to see them. That's another thing people have to consider, too-yeah, you may be able to belt with the best of them, but you also have to have a wow factor on stage, too.

Plus I'm driving myself crazy because I can't stop randomly singing...

"baby lock the door and turn the lights down looooooow"

:crazy:

Hahaha, no kidding. Good lord, seriously, dude...

Angela

So, first night, with the guys-thoughts, all?

My favorites were Clint Jun Gamboa, Paul McDonald (he had kind of a Paolo Nutini vibe going during "Maggie May", which I liked), Jacob Lusk...

...and Casey's performance at the end? Damn.

Jovany's performance wasn't the strongest, but he'll get some female votes, I'm sure.

And never, ever, would I have thought I'd see the day when Judas Priest got played on "Idol". Seriously.

Angela

I love Paul. He performed a miracle, made me like a Rod Stewart song. ;)

Jacob killed. I was happy he didn't over sing. He's got an incredible voice.

My other fave was Casey. Keep in mind, he had just been released from the hospital that day when he performed and was apparently still in a bit of pain.

I didn't hate James, which was progress. Didn't really get Brett's performance. And I thought Clint sounded great for a country singer. Just not my cup o tea.

I can't believe that Scotty kid got put into the top 24. What a one-trick pony.

I've only heard a little of Jacob in a few episodes, but from that I'm not feeling what he's laying down. A bit over the top for me.

Jacob toned it down a bit this week. Didn't get all the way to church, just half-way down the street. :lol:

I agree about Scotty, but again, he showed a smidge more range this week. I preferred the John Wayne guy, but that might just be because he sang Landslide. I love me some Fleetwood Mac.

I'm waaaaaay behind on this show. This is easily the least I've ever watched a season of American Idol. Haven't seen an episode in 3 or 4 weeks.

I will watch tomorrow to check out the Top 12 girls. Any hotties?

It's certainly one of their less cracking seasons overall, yeah...

I'm sure there's probably a girl or two in the list tomorrow night you'll like :wink:. I'd need to recall the names again (that's another thing, I'm having trouble remembering a lot of these people's names-when I mentioned the ones in my last post, it was because I saw the names on the bottom of the screen as I was typing :p. When I see them sing, then I remember them better, but it's taking me a long time to match the names to the faces). I know there's a dark-haired girl who's...15, I believe, who I've found to be really good.

Jacob toned it down a bit this week. Didn't get all the way to church, just half-way down the street. :lol:

Haha, nice way of putting it. Yeah, there's a few people in here that are a bit...showy, to put it mildly.

And then there were some that were just out and out bad. My sister and I watched the show back later 'cause she'd been out this evening and I recorded it for her, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, that "OMG" performance... Worst one of the night. No question. We were both cringing and my sister was like, "STOOOOOOOOOOP...".

I agree about Scotty, but again, he showed a smidge more range this week. I preferred the John Wayne guy, but that might just be because he sang Landslide. I love me some Fleetwood Mac.

"Landslide" is lovely. Fleetwood Mac had some great songs, definitely :).

I'm still amazed that that voice is coming out of Scotty at the age of 15. And if he were to just stick to country music, he'd have a nice career, he's got the old throwback country sound (which I tend to like on occasion).

But yes, how he'll fare when he has to really step out of his range, that remains to be seen. He's definitely got a limited appeal.

In other news, I'm betting Steven's liberal use of swear words will be a bit of a topic tomorrow. I think that's the most swearing I've ever heard within one episode of this show, and lord knows we hear quite a bit of it when people are storming out after being rejected.

Angela

1) If there is a God, Durbin will not be coming back next week :pray: I can only take so much 2nd-rate Lambert singing.

2) Did the last girl tonight really warrant a standing ovation from all 3 judges? :huh:

1) If there is a God, Durbin will not be coming back next week :pray: I can only take so much 2nd-rate Lambert singing.

2) Did the last girl tonight really warrant a standing ovation from all 3 judges? :huh:

1, you would get on well with my mom on that statement.
2, you would get on well with my sister :p. She was wondering the same thing. The girl was good, yes, and if she gets into the top 12, I won't mind-she can sing. But a bit of overkill praise, perhaps. And her constant hand gestures were distracting.

Honestly, if anyone deserved such an ovation tonight, it'd be Thia. She's the girl I alluded to last night who I said I liked-so far she is my favorite of all the people, male and female, combined. I've yet to NOT be impressed by her. The song itself was all right, but she sang it wonderfully, particularly the first half, when there was no music, just her.

I also really liked Lauren Turner's performance. Love the way she sang her song. And the girl who sang some of "Hero" in Spanish was nice, too, even if it did come across a wee bit "Miss America" pageant-y.

And I kinda liked the girl who sang "Criminal", personally, her take on the song was interesting. She was certainly better than the first girl who sang the Rhianna song, whom Jennifer and Steven were fawning all over.

Also, speaking of Steven, my sister and I were having a great time laughing at and giving running commentary on his ramblings or weird facial expressions and whatnot. We were sitting there like this sometimes after some of his comments: :huh:?

Angela

I haven't watched them all yet, but I really liked Lauren Turner and Karen Rodriguez, although I'd agree with the Pageant comment.

Rachel singing Criminal was really, really awful. I hated the arrangement, she didn't sound good, and she looked ridiculously uncomfortable attempting to slink around the stage.

Naima was pretty good, although her version of the song was a little too upbeat for me. That ending note was spectacular, though.

I'm gonna be all Steven Tyler, lustful leering and all.

Ms Ashthon Jones...ohh Ms Jones......:sigh: You are heaven. Please just proceed to the final round. If you fail you will break my heart. I know what you're talkin about...love all over you...yeah! /awkwardgushingmoment :lmao:

Ms Rodriguez. Hero? HERO? For the love of god never again should we have to sit thru someone's rendition of it. Not only was it uninspiring, you sang it the same way I've heard a bajillion Mariah Carey sound-alikes sing it Karaoke bars...till the last 10 seconds anyways, and by that time I had tuned you out. I know you're not going to get voted off just yet, so you better come wicked next time.

Thia (Randy voice): A lil pitchy, dawg. We'll give you another shot though.

Naima you are a rock goddess if you don't already know it. You're going all the way.

Im sorry Lauren (both of you), that was enough. Enough to get you voted off.

Buh-bye Pia and Rachel, see you on Broadway. Or Vegas. But not on the radio.

Haley you do absolutely nothing for me.

Ta-Tynisa - I don't even know what to say. I know you can sing. You're also a pretty hot number. But you're going to have to lose the cheese to move forward. Way too showtunish, and please just hit the notes and hold them and don't push any higher, it doesn't become you.

Note to all contestants: Can this please PLEASE be the end of the sultry jazz lounge act Broadway showtunish numbers? Tanks.

I can't remember the name of the girl a few years ago who got voted out after singing "Feelin' Good," and during her farewell sing-out, she changed the lyrics.

"WHY DIDN'T I REMEMBER THAT AMERICA HATES JAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZ!"

It was awesome.

Julie Zorrilla is stunning. She looks like Freida Pinto. Unfortunately, though, she probably doesn't sing any better than Freida Pinto. She had the worst performance last night.

I looooove "I'll Stand By You" and Pia is pretty cute, and sang the thing well, but it definitely was not deserving of the big words Randy gave it. One of the best Idol performances ever? Uhhhhh, no.

Yeah, a lot of the song choices seemed to be very strange, very old-timey lounge act stuff. Simon would have been ripping into these girls for not being "current" enough. At least the one girl picked Rihanna, although she didn't sing it very well.

Ashthon is also very cute, and could be very successful. What a ridiculous name, and spelling of that name, though.

Haley...I can't tell yet what I think of Haley. She's either totally my favorite, or...I don't know. I'll get back to you guys on that one.

One of the Laurens sucks. The other Lauren, the country one, has talent. As one of the judges said, that genre/style of singing seems to come very naturally to her. And we all know that a girl singing country always has a chance to do very well on this show.

Naimi can sing. No doubt.

I don't hate jazz, far from it. It just doesn't fit the format of the show imo. Jazz is for a REAL talent show. ;)

Yes, well, what she meant was "Americans watching and voting for American Idol hate jazz," which is a correct statement.

I am also baffled by the love Pia got. It was just okay. (It doesn't help that I hate that song.)

Back
Top Bottom