83rd Annual Acadamy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Nominations are out!

Best picture
"Black Swan"
"The Fighter"
"Inception"
"The Kids Are All Right"
"The King’s Speech"
"127 Hours"
"The Social Network"
"Toy Story 3"
"True Grit"
"Winter’s Bone"

Actor

Javier Bardem, "Biutiful"
Jeff Bridges, "True Grit"
Jesse Eisenberg, "The Social Network"
Colin Firth, "The King's Speech"
James Franco, "127 Hours"

Actress
Annette Bening, "The Kids Are All Right"
Nicole Kidman, "Rabbit Hole"
Jennifer Lawrence, "Winter's Bone"
Natalie Portman, "Black Swan"
Michelle Williams, "Blue Valentine"

Supporting actor
Christian Bale, "The Fighter"
John Hawkes, "Winter's Bone"
Jeremy Renner, "The Town"
Mark Ruffalo, "The Kids Are All Right"
Geoffrey Rush, "The King's Speech"

Supporting actress
Amy Adams, "The Fighter"
Helena Bonham Carter, "The King's Speech"
Melissa Leo, "The Fighter"
Hailee Steinfeld, "True Grit"
Jacki Weaver, "Animal Kingdom"

Director

Darren Aronofsky, "Black Swan"
David O. Russell, "The Fighter"
Tom Hooper, "The King's Speech"
David Fincher, "The Social Network"
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "True Grit"

Animated feature
"How to Train Your Dragon"
"The Illusionist"
"Toy Story 3"

Adapted screenplay
"127 Hours"
"The Social Network"
"Toy Story 3"
"True Grit"
"Winter’s Bone"

Original screenplay
"Another Year"
"The Fighter"
"Inception"
"The Kids Are All Right"
"The King’s Speech"

Foreign language film
"Biutiful"
"Dogtooth"
"In a Better world"
"Incendies"
"Outside the Law"

Art direction
"Alice in Wonderland"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I"
"Inception"
"The King's Speech"
"True Grit"

Cinematography
“Black Swan”
“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“The Social Network”
“True Grit”

Costume design
"Alice in Wonderland"
"I Am Love"
"The King's Speech"
"The Tempest"
"True Grit"

Documentary feature
"Exit Through the Gift Shop"
"Gasland"
"Inside Job"
"Restrepo"
"Waste Land"

Documentary short
"Killing in the Name"
"Poster Girl"
"Strangers No More"
"Sun Come Up"
"The Warriors of Qiugang"

Film editing
"Black Swan"
"The Fighter"
"The King's Speech"
"127 Hours"
"The Social Network"

Makeup
“Barney's Version”
“The Way Back”
“The Wolfman”

Sound mixing
“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“Salt”
“The Social Network”
“True Grit”

Original score
“How to Train Your Dragon”
“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”

Visual effects
“Alice in Wonderland”
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”
“Hereafter”
“Inception”
“Iron Man 2”

Original song
“Coming Home” from “Country Strong”
“I See the Light” from “Tangled”
“If I Rise” from “127 Hours”
“We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3"

Sound editing
"Inception"
"Toy Story 3"
"Tron: Legacy"
"True Grit"
"Unstoppable"

Animated short film
"Day & Night"
"The Gruffalo"
"Let's Pollute"
"The Lost Thing"
"Madagascar, carnet de voyage" ("Madagascar, a Journey Diary")

Live action short film
"The Confession"
"The Crush"
"God of Love"
"Na Wewe"
"Wish 143"

OK, that is a fine BP lineup (and I've seen all 10), and Darren Aronofsky is finally recognized by these twats, but they remain totally irrelevant for some bonehead moves, snubbing: Andrew Garfield, Danny Boyle, Ryan Gosling, Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Chris Nolan, oh and Tron Legacy's technical categories.

While I haven't seen Winter's Bone, it's nice to see a relative-unknown like John Hawkes make it to the big stage. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's the first actor from LOST to get an Oscar nom.

Also nice to see Bardem get in with a groundswell of outspoken supporters after getting ignored for most of the season.

My favorite nom overall? The Illusionist. By far, as it's currently my #2 for the year.

Hawkes nom was well deserved, and while I liked what Ruffalo did with his role, but not over Garfield.

Yay True Grit! :hyper:

I was thinking that The Social Network was going to take the cake but The King's Speech is looking better and better. Winter's Bone was ho-hum and easily could be replaced by Inception or Shutter Island, but Hawkes was good and disturbing in his performance. I really need to see The Fighter and Biutiful.

The potential BP winners are the ones with a film editing nom, there's (almost) never a winner without a nod in that category.

12 nominations for an unremarkable film hardly anyone gives a shit about is the major story here, even though it was inevitable (for some unholy reason... as these boring populist circle-jerks tend to be).

My support in each category should be fairly obvious. Black Swan in the majors, True Grit practically everywhere else (including cinematography). TSN for editing, mixing, and score. The Illusionist for animated feature of course, though I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it yet.

Otherwise the single most unexpected and happy nomination here is Unstoppable in sound mixing. Huzzah.

Oh also, the foreign language category is at least slightly less painful than usual. Dogtooth the favorite, Biutiful the requisite eye-rolly shoe-in, two films nobody I know has probably heard anything about (with good reason likely), and Incendies which I've at least heard of but don't recall the kinds of reactions that went with it. I think they were favorable if I'm remembering right.

I'm assuming by "favorite" you meant your favorite for Dogtooth, because while many were holing for it to make the final cut, it wasn't a given. Pretty awesome news and it may very well be the most fucked-up film to ever compete for an Oscar. It's also one of my favorite films of the year.

who picks the songs for the oscars these days? eddie vedder gets the shaft again.

not as big a shafting as with into the wild, but a shafting none the less.

good to know randy newman got nominated for the 10,273rd time. :rolleyes:

Maybe so, but Randy Newman's song deserved a nom, as did "If I Rise". Of course I'd give that award to "Furry Walls" from Get Him to the Greek :lol:.

I'm assuming by "favorite" you meant your favorite for Dogtooth, because while many were holing for it to make the final cut, it wasn't a given. Pretty awesome news and it may very well be the most fucked-up film to ever compete for an Oscar. It's also one of my favorite films of the year.

Yeah, poor word choice given the discussion. Personal favorite, as with all my "picks." Not a fan of Oscar prognosticating myself.

Eduardo Saverin, screwed over again.

I just don't get it. I really feel like he carried that entire movie, to the point where I'd've given him lead actor over Eisenberg. Jesse doesn't DO anything in the movie, he just sits there and looks sulky. I love him to death, but the reason he works in movies is because he's the straight man that everyone plays off of. He doesn't do much of anything.

I think Eisenberg's nom was deserved, but if I were to only nominate 1 actor from the movie it'd be Garfield, and yeah he's the heart of the movie.

From personal experience it's a boring ass pretentious movie that will put you sleep. :giggle: I know there are fans of it in this forum but I thought it didn't come close to its hype.

A major work from arguably the most essential filmmaker to emerge in the past 10 years. Otherwise, right on.

I think Eisenberg's nom was deserved, but if I were to only nominate 1 actor from the movie it'd be Garfield, and yeah he's the heart of the movie.

I'm mostly just so dumbfounded that I'm giving Eisenberg a bit of undeserved shit, but I just don't think of him as a great actor, much as I enjoy pretty much every film I've ever seen him in. (all three of them)

A major work from arguably the most essential filmmaker to emerge in the past 10 years. Otherwise, right on.

I would rather read the Lotus Sutra or the Dhammapada then another somnambulating movie like that again. At least I'll learn something about this life. :sexywink:

From personal experience it's a boring ass pretentious movie that will put you sleep. :giggle: I know there are fans of it in this forum but I thought it didn't come close to its hype.

I'm not a fan of the film either.
But to say it's pretentious is a hell of a mistake, sorry. Also, don't think it's boring.

Now to download those mothafuckas I haven't seen.

Tonight a doubt befalls over me: more Haneke or Dogtooth?

I know it's already been mentioned, but just looking at the original song category again and I'm just mystified. Was original music really that painfully bad this year? Country Strong got anything nominated? What the hell.

It wasn't eligible this year, from what I remember reading.

and besides each country has a jury or something that selects one film as their official entry. And there have been complications, concerning more than one country involved in the production.

So the award is not the really The Best Non-English language film. But, rather the best of this narrow selection offering.

Back
Top Bottom