2014 Oscars Extravaganza!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone have a strong opinion about Sound Editing and Sound Mixing? Trying to fill out a bracket and not simply deferring to Gravity as Most Obvious Use of Sound.

As someone who was enamored with 12 Years a Slave, I wasn't especially impressed by Lupita's performance. She conveyed pain extremely well and she played a very sympathetic character, but there wasn't a great deal of range there. I wish she had more to do than simply be a punching bag for a half hour.

Otherwise, I think 12 Years a Slave probably deserves to sweep.

Last edited:
You have to upload it to Photobucket or another site and post the link using the IMG tag.

I guess I haven't seen a picture of Bill Murray for a while, but Jesus ... did he age 20 years in the past year or so?

Hamish Hamilton is still getting directing gigs? Hasn't he caused enough seizures already?

Best Actor field is really deep this year. I've only seen American Hustle of all the nominated films, but just from clips and people talking about them, you could make an argument for any of McConaughey/DiCaprio/Ejiofor winning. Maybe even Bale. You could even give Dern the sentimental 'old guy who probably won't get another chance' vote.

That said, McConaughey will probably win.

Bhw8a_-IEAAFANk.jpg

THERE'S WALLACE STRlNG

There are rumors that many Academy voters refused to watch 12 Years A Slave due to its "difficult" subject matter. Apparently these people didn't have a problem with Schindler's List, but there's your typical subconsciously racist position. If you're not willing to see all the BP nominees, then you shouldn't be voting, and should relinquish your membership in the Academy.

I hope the film manages to overcome this disgusting slight and manages to take top honors anyway.

That's kinda funny, in a way, because I was just telling Travis that one of the small problems I had with 12 Years a Slave was that it was almost a little too happy. I never felt that the protagonist was in any danger, everyone in the film just seemed to naturally like him and so it felt a little Hollywood in that way. But, still, I expect it to win tonight.

How I thought it shook out:

12 Years a Slave
Gravity
The Wolf of Wall Street
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Her

I'm kind of hoping for a Director/Picture split between Cuaron and 12 Years.

And this year's Harvey Weinstein Memorial "WTF is this movie doing here?" Award is awarded to...Harvey Weinstein, for Philomena.

I love Philomena a lot, actually. Not my favorite movie this year, but it was good.

Anyways, this is the first year I've seen every BP nom. So proud of myself :happy:

I'd like us all to take a moment to let it settle that the lead singer of 30 Seconds to Mars just won an academy award.

Back
Top Bottom