1. 2. 3. Lists.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd feel like a douchebag if I called it Philosophers. We don't call it that here.

There was no Quidditch in GoF, was that a joke? :sad:

I will say this for Azkaban, having now been separated from my last reading of the book by more than a few years: As a film, I can see the appeal, it's tight and it's good. I appreciate it's existence, but that is one of my favorite books ever and I really don't think they did the ending justice. Nor the character introductions really.

a sorcerer kicks the shit out of the a philosopher. Get with it, rest of the world.

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1
3. Order of the Phoenix
4. Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2

5. Half-Blood Prince
6. Goblet of Fire

7. Chamber of Secrets
8. Sorcerer's Stone

The last two movies may very have been comprised of 60% close-ups or two shots.

Agree 100% with YLB's list.

Cuaron brought his assigned book to life. The denouement in the Shrieking Shack may have been a bit rushed, but he captured the page turning flurry that those three short chapters caused in readers. He couldn't exactly take a scene break where the chapters ended. Also the best book on my opinion.

Yates took Phoenix which was (at the time) the most bloated and tedious book, cut out all the fat and showed some real flair with what was left. Textbook adaptation. To then go on and make Deathly Hallows immensely watchable (an abortion of a final book) wipes the slate clean of the mediocre HBP. Guy deserves all the credit in the world for elevating 2 out of 3 sub par novels.

Goblet of Fire is a mess but has a bunch if fun set pieces. Horrible as a narrative, great as spectacle. Shame, I really like the book.

The first two are functional at best but reflect the relative lightness of the books. Making them family friendly and cookie cutter at least gave the series the opportunity to take risks later on. However, there is no excuse for the final scene in Chamber of Secrets.

Do they actually refer to it as the Sorceror's Stone in the movie? Just wondering if they had to film alternate scenes just for you lot.

They do refer to it as the Sorcerer's Stone. Cool that we see eye-to-eye on this. Half-Blood Prince is leaps and bounds my favorite book in the series, particularly in how it upends narrative expectations with Harry/his family, Dumbledore/Snape, Malfoy, etc... Extremely disappointing that the film covers a lot of the teen hijinks already highlighted in Goblet of Fire instead of opting for the Empire Strikes Back treatment the adaptation deserved.

That's my biggest issue with the film series: leaving purposeful holes in the narrative for those who read the books to fill-in themselves. Azkaban mostly transcends that, but it's also the one to take the most risks and have an authorial voice.

I've read the books and seen the films as well. The films:

1 - Azkaban
2 - Hallows 1

3 - Hallows 2

4 - Phoenix
5 - Goblet
6 - Half Blood

7 - Chamber
8 - Stone

a sorcerer kicks the shit out of the a philosopher. Get with it, rest of the world.

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1
3. Order of the Phoenix
4. Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2

5. Half-Blood Prince
6. Goblet of Fire

7. Chamber of Secrets
8. Sorcerer's Stone

The last two movies may very have been comprised of 60% close-ups or two shots.

Agree 100% with YLB's list.

And my axe! Well, my #1 and #2 are the same, as are the bottom 2.

The rest I don't remember well enough or care to give more thought to, but Goblet Of Fire would probably be last of those remaining.

I've only seen up to what I've read, Order of the Phoenix. I never read 6 or 7, and so haven't seen the films. I hope to finish it someday.

Azkaban was the best film, although the Quidditch scenes in Goblet of Fire nearly had it covered.

:barf:

Wait, you didn't start reading them at deathly hallows? How un-cobbler of you.

In a few weeks, I'll be starting the 4-6 week horror movie binge I enjoy every year. In the meantime, I made this list of my favorite horror films for posterity, to see if anything has changed by the end of October. My definition of "horror" is rather broad in order to increase the quality of the movies on the list.

1. Psycho (Hitchcock, 1960)
2. The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
3. Repulsion (Polanski, 1965)
4. The Innocents (Clayton, 1961)
5. The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)
6. The Sixth Sense (Shyamalan, 1999)
7. Audition (Miike, 1999)
8. Diabolique (Clouzot, 1955)
9. Alien (Scott, 1979)
10. The Omen (Donner, 1976)
11. The Evil Dead (Raimi, 1981)
12. Jaws (Spielberg, 1975)
13. House (Obayashi, 1977)
14. Shaun of the Dead (Wright, 2004)
15. Jacob's Ladder (Lyne, 1990)
16. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Aldrich, 1962)
17. The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973)
18. The Others (Amenábar, 2001)
19. The Haunting (Wise, 1963)
20. Don't Look Now (Roeg, 1973)
21. Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008)
22. The Wicker Man (Hardy, 1973)
23. Rosemary's Baby (Polanski, 1968)
24. Peeping Tom (Powell, 1960)
25. Eyes Without a Face (Franju, 1960)

1960 and 1973 dominate this list. Awesome years.

The last 20 minutes of Rosemary's Baby in particular :heart::love::combust:

Polanski is the best at memorable endings. I was undecided on The Tenant until the epic last half hour.

You've definitely covered some cinephile essentials there: esp. The Innocents, The Haunting, and the Franju.

If you haven't delved into the Val Lewton RKO productions, you should soon. Primarily the collaborations with Jacques Tourneur (Cat People, I Walked With A Zombie, The Leopard Man), but also Mark Robson's The Seventh Guest. Great atmosphere on minimal budgets.

Other stuff I'd recommend is the British anthology film Dead Of Night (Scorsese is a big fan), Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone, and whatever pre-2000s John Carpenter horror you haven't seen yet, particularly Prince Of Darkness, In The Mouth Of Madness, and The Fog (I'm going to assume you're already familiar with Halloween).

Thank you for the recommendations. A number of those I had in mind already, including Dead of Night and The Devil's Backbone. There is a shocking amount of classic horror that I've overlooked. I've maybe seen a half dozen horror films released prior to 1950.

Very good film, nearly made my list.

Polanski's Apartment Trilogy is fantastic. The Tenant is one of my favourite horror films.

Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects, Lords of Salem, and his Halloween flicks (if you feel so bold) are worth checking out as well.

Also, Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce & Texas Chainsaw II, featuring Dennis Hooper wield two mini chainsaws, are gems.

Re-Animator, From Beyond, and Dolls from Stuart Gordon make up a wonderfully varied and under-discussed thematic horror trilogy.

I don't know about the cinematic virtues but if you're talking about a horror classic, I don't know how the original Texas Chainsaw can't at least get an honorable mention.

No, it's amazing. Leatherface's sun-soaked chainsaw ballet at the end is equal parts heartbreaking, terrifying, and gorgeous.

You'd be surprised at how little gore is in it - pretty much non-existant. And it's markedly different than Hooper's more classically-constructed, amped-up throwback features that he did in the '80s like The Funhouse, Poltergeist, or Lifeforce. Seriously, everyone needs to see Lifeforce.

Driving from Austin to El Paso I was horrified of the car breaking down... more due to No Country than TCM, though they're both equally as outlandish.

I've never even seen TCM and every drive to my uncle's house at night had me white-knuckeled on the steering wheel. Part of this is because my dad and my uncle locked me in the horror portion of the house if wax in Grand Prarie when I was a kid, right next to the leatherface set-up.

Sorry I wrote that on my phone: *House of wax.

Funny enough, I'm cool with that movie...well, the remake anyways, I've never seen the original...probably should throw that on the Septober Horror Movie List I'm making.

I forced myself to go through the wax museum a couple of times while I was in college, because it was silly to be afraid of wax dummies, but that memory is still shudder-worthy.

I've only seen the Vincent Price one and it's a gimmicky 3D treat, as well as a simple and affecting take on the Phantom of the Opera story.

I can't bring myself to watch that movie.

Probably the last movie (in that vein) I saw that legitimately disturbed me.
Of course, I was like 20 at the time, and completely fucking high as a kite.

And yeah, there is actually only a little gore in it. More suspenseful than anything. Especially at the dinner table. Holy balls.

The remake with Jessica Biel was poo. Although she looked about as hot as a woman can look in that movie. So there's that.

I may have to make the leap and watch it this year. But I'm afraid. Hold my hand, Interference :reject:

Back
Top Bottom