1. 2. 3. Lists.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Polanski's apartment trilogy is probably the most harrowing psychoanalytic projects undertaken by any auteur in the history of cinema. Fantastic stuff.

The Innocents and Dead of Night are essential horror movies as well.

Last Action Hero is great.

#vulgarauteurism

Post screencaps of their favorite 2 seconds NOW

I asked Jack some questions about VA theory recently and have yet to get a response. Man loves him some McTiernan.

Oh my God, I didn't realize that Vulgar Auteurism was a thing.... If I didn't have so much other stuff to do tonight...

Do you like Paul W.S. Anderson? Direct to video action flicks? That's about it. It's not sadly not about this:

Leslie%20Nielsen%20Muscle%20Hunk.gif

VA was a big thing all of a sudden, then a big thing people started to get confused and annoyed by, then just a thing, then not really a thing in the first place because it's basically just normal auteurism in the classic sense that people were like oh yeah auteurism is a thing for reasons.

And all liking Paul W.S. Anderson means is you got taaaaaste.

VA was a big thing all of a sudden, then a big thing people started to get confused and annoyed by, then just a thing, then not really a thing in the first place because it's basically just normal auteurism in the classic sense that people were like oh yeah auteurism is a thing for reasons.

And all liking Paul W.S. Anderson means is you got taaaaaste.

It's a loaded term that doesn't carry with it any added ideologies beyond classical auteurist studies. The emphasis on masculine action pictures and formal acumen, with no emphasis on the politicization of the image, seems like carving out a small portion out of a grander sandbox in which to operate. Case in point: Edgar Wright feels like a perfect VA guy given the parameters in which they deem worthy of study (hyper-kineticism, the screengrab) and is an extension of J. Hoberman's Vulgar Modernism ascribed to Tashlin/Lewis/Dante.

The two issues are that he is already critically-beloved and embraced (understandable if the VA goal is re-appraisal or keeping guys from falling underneath the cracks) and the guy who made the main list on MUBI doesn't like him. He also doesn't like Scorsese, which again is fine, but the inclusion/exclusion of certain directors outside of a "canon" with a hazy definition does rub me the wrong way.

Perhaps I'm approaching it from the wrong angle, especially in assuming that it needs a theoretical framework. I like Predator and the Fast & Furious series - maybe we can get along.

I can see where both of your negative arguments are coming from. I at least look forward to looking into some of what they wrote before "the fall" at least.

And yes, I do enjoy Paul W.S. Anderson.

I am of an opinion, and you can call me crazy if you like, that if Arnold Schwarzenegger's accent wasn't sooooo overpowering, he'd actually be a decent actor.

As a fan of boxing, the final match in Rocky IV might be the worst scripted boxing scene of all time. No one blocks or puts their arms up even once. Every single punch connects. :lol: I mention this because it isn't exactly a theme across the series. It's the only one that's that cartoonish and unrealistic.

Rocky IV is definitely a camp classic though. Most entertaining propaganda ever.

Posting my own list per Lance's layout:

1. Orson Welles: Touch Of Evil, The Trial, Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons
2. Jacques Rivette: Céline And Julie Go Boating, Duelle, Noroît, Out 1
3. Martin Scorsese: Gangs Of New York, The Age Of Innocence, Raging Bull
4. Coens: Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There, A Serious Man
5. Powell & Pressburger: The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp, The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, A Canterbury Tale
Alfred Hitchcock: Vertigo, Rear Window, Shadow Of A Doubt, Notorious
Raúl Ruiz: City Of Pirates, Mysteries Of Lisbon, Three Crowns Of The Sailor
Wong Kar-Wai: 2046, Days Of Being Wild, In The Mood For Love
Fritz Lang: The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse, Moonfleet, Beyond A Reasonable Doubt, Scarlet Street
Vincente Minnelli: Some Came Running, Meet Me In St. Louis, Gigi, Lust For Life
Bernardo Bertolucci: The Conformist, Last Tango In Paris, 1900, The Last Emperor
Sergio Leone: Once Upon A Time In America, Once Upon A Time In The West, Duck You Sucker
Otto Preminger: Bonjour Tristesse, Anatomy Of A Murder, Bunny Lake Is Missing, Laura
Jean Renoir: The Rules Of The Game, The River, French Cancan
Samuel Fuller: The Naked Kiss, Shock Corridor, The Big Red One, Park Row, Underworld USA
Terrence Malick: Days Of Heaven, The New World, The Thin Red Line
Francis Ford Coppola: Apocalypse Now, Youth Without Youth, The Godfather Part II
Jacques Tourneur: I Walked With A Zombie, Canyon Passage, Stars In My Crown, Out Of The Past
Hayao Miyazaki: Spirited Away, Nausicaä, Princess Mononoke
Max Ophüls: Letter From An Unknown Woman, Lola Montes, Madame de..., Le Plaisir
John Ford: The Searchers, My Darling Clementine, The Sun Shines Bright
Andrei Tarkovsky: Nostalgia, Stalker, Andrei Rublev
Carl Th. Dreyer: Ordet, Day Of Wrath, Vampyr
Rainer Werner Fassbinder: Lola, The Marriage Of Maria Braun, Berlin Alexanderplatz
Luis Buñuel: The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie, Tristana, The Phantom Of Liberty, L'Age d'Or
Woody Allen: Stardust Memories, Annie Hall, Crimes And Misdemeanors
Claude Chabrol: Les Biches, La Rupture, Les Bonnes Femmes
Kenzi Mizoguchi: Ugetsu, Sansho The Bailiff, Street Of Shame
Satyajit Ray: Pather Panchali, The Music Room, The Chess Players, Aparajito
Alain Resnais: Muriel, Wild Grass, Last Year At Marienbad, Life Is A Bed Of Roses
Steven Soderbergh: Che, Solaris, The Underneath, King Of The Hill, Kafka, The Limey
Spike Lee: Malcolm X, Do The Right Thing, 25th Hour, Clockers
François Truffaut: Jules And Jim, Stolen Kisses, Shoot The Piano Player
Jean-Jacques Beineix: Betty Blue, Moon In The Gutter, Diva, Roselyne And The Lions
Alan Rudolph: Trouble In Mind, Choose Me, The Moderns, Remember My Name
Preston Sturges: The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek, The Lady Eve, Hail The Conquering Hero
Robert Altman: McCabe & Mrs. Miller, California Split, Nashville
Ernst Lubitsch: Trouble In Paradise, The Smiling Lieutenant, The Merry Widow, Ninotchka

As a fan of boxing, the final match in Rocky IV might be the worst scripted boxing scene of all time. No one blocks or puts their arms up even once. Every single punch connects. :lol: I mention this because it isn't exactly a theme across the series. It's the only one that's that cartoonish and unrealistic. Rocky IV is definitely a camp classic though. Most entertaining propaganda ever.

Rocky getting punched in the head repeatedly is his whole strategy for taking down Clubber Lang in III.

Rocky getting punched in the head repeatedly is his whole strategy for taking down Clubber Lang in III.

Apollo: What the hell, man? Put your hands up!

Rocky: Nuhhhh nauuugggggghhhh I got this

A strategy also employed by Homer Simpson to great success.

Rocky I
Rocky III
Rocky Balboa
Rocky IV
Rocky II
Rocky V

I always remember the street fight scene at the end of Rocky V devolving into breakdance fighting. If only.

Hey, if I can change, you can change, we all can change. The first Rocky is fine. Stallone is in peak form, literally and cinematically, in the '80s that it's impossible for me to think of the first in the same esteem as III or IV. Underdog stories, yeah yeah, they're perfect sports narratives/human stories. How fucking great is the fallen hero arc of III though? It's propulsive, engaging, and purely badass.

Clubber Lang hitting on Adrian, Paulie going apeshit on the pinball machine, Mickey dying (and Rocky's unintelligible response), Apollo's comeback, the beach hug, THUNDERLIPS, the final fight with Clubber... jeez, all fantastic.

8) Curse of the Zodiac - I'm only going to choose one by Ulli Lommel, because I could probably list every one of his I'd seen here, otherwise. Pretty much this movie is another in a long history of films trying to give an answer for who the Zodiac killer was. This one, however, does something a little different, on its $50 budget. It takes place in the 2000s, and the antagonist isn't the Zodiac killer of old, but a young man who takes his inspiration for a killing spree from the original. However, it turns out that the Zodiac killer is still alive and angry that such shoddy work is being attributed to his name, and he comes for "our hero".
A combination of incorrect history, bad plotting, horrible camera work and a micro-micro-budget make this the worst movie I have ever seen.

I just wanted to let you all know that I made a mistake here. My bad. This is the plot to the movie I was talking about, but it's not the title. Curse of the Zodiac is the other Zodiac Killer movie that Lommel made. The movie I wanted was Ulli Lommel's Zodiac Killer. I'm so sorry, please forgive me.

I just re-watched The Worst Witch tonight. I think it just shot into 3rd or 4th on my favorite horrible movies list. That movie is art. People had to plan to make a movie that bad.

Back
Top Bottom