Zack, prisoner at "ex-gay" camp, to come home this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
Gay teen to be released from Tenn. ex-gay facility
Exodus prepares for national conference this weekend

By EARTHA JANE MELZER
Friday, July 22, 2005

Zach Stark, the Tennessee teenager who blogged about his parents’ negative reaction to his coming out, may soon be released from Love in Action, the religious facility that has been working to change his sexual orientation since the beginning of June.

Early last month, a Love in Action administrator said that two male teens in the program were both enrolled for six-week stints in the “ex-gay” camp, and last week in an interview broadcast on the Christian Broadcasting Network, Zach’s father, Joe Stark confirmed his son’s identity as one of Love in Action’s clients.

“We felt good about Zach coming here … to let him see for himself the destructive lifestyle, what he has to face in the future, and to give him some options that society doesn’t give him today,” Stark said.

“Until he turns 18 and he’s an adult in the state of Tennessee, I’m responsible for him, and I’m going to see to it that he has all options available to him.”

A Los Angeles-based psychologist took issue with the father’s statement.

“It appears that both Mr. Stark and the LIA director’s public comments are highly defensive and indicate that their concern is less for the child’s well-being and more for their own purposes,” said Paul Chimubulo said via e-mail.

“The sort of homophobia they espouse has been shown to be rooted in anxiety and a feeling of threat. … The gay child’s expressions are recognized and interpreted as injurious to the parent’s sense of self. With the publicity this has gathered, the father’s internal anxiety and feelings of threat over his son’s gay identity must really be ratcheted up.”

It is not yet known what effect the Love in Action experience has had on Zach, who initially blogged that his parents’ reaction to his coming out was driving him to suicidal thoughts.

Zach’s story has triggered global media coverage about efforts to change sexual orientation, about the “ex-gay” movement that supports these efforts, and about the conflicts that sometimes arise when parents have strong negative reactions to news that their child is gay.

Blogs on the Web, the gay media, the Memphis-area media and mainstream national news outlets, including the New York Times, have covered Zach’s story.

In Memphis, Queer Action Coalition formed and held educational demonstrations and has engaged Love in Action staff, the media and the community in dialogue about reparative therapy and its methods.

One facet of the public discussion has hinged on the legality and ethics of offering counseling to treat homosexuality.

As a consequence of the publicity around Love in Action, the Tennessee Department of Health began an investigation and notified the unlicensed group that it appeared to be functioning illegally and could potentially be referred to the county district attorney for prosecution.

According to a report in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Love in Action executive director John Smid said that Love in Action would change its program to remain unregulated by the state.

But Andrea Turner, spokesperson for the Tennessee Department of Health, said Love in Action has not yet told the state how it plans to come into compliance with the law.

A staff member at Love in Action said he could not confirm or deny reports that the facility planned to send clients to an off-site facility for drug and alcohol treatment.

Exodus International confab
A request for an interview with Love in Action administrators was declined because the administrators were busy preparing to attend Exodus International’s Freedom Conference in Asheville, N.C., this weekend.

Exodus International bills itself as the “largest Christian referral and information ministry dealing with homosexual issues in our world today.” Exodus refers parents to Love in Action’s program for minors.

Hundreds of people from across the country are scheduled to attend the Freedom Conference and participate in workshops and individualized counseling sessions designed to help them out of being gay.

Rev. Jerry Falwell and Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International, along with Christian musician Dennis Jernigan and Dr. Nancy Heche, mother of the actress Anne Heche, whose lesbian affair was the subject of tabloid headlines for months, are expected to address the conference

http://www.expressgaynews.com/2005/7-22/news/national/national_zachstark.cfm

:shocked: Is this for effin' real?!?!? :mad: Anybody else think of the movie "Saved" the minute they read this??? :tsk:

I think of the episode of "Strangers With Candy," where Jerri joins a cult.

"Jerri's dead. My name is Sycamore."

Anyway, it's quite too bad that Tennesee was willing to protect alcoholics and drug addicts from pseudoscience, but homosexuals? Fuck them!

Melon

I hope Zack can hang on until he's 18 and then sever all ties with his family and get as far away as possible. Some families are just rotten, and I think this one qualifies.

TheBrush said:
we can all be gay together!!!!!

considering every thread in FYM is about the gay community.

I think the number rivals that of the number of running order suggestions for HDTAAB, lol

VertigoGal said:

how dare u imply that melon is a homosexual!!!1:mad:

Although I wasnt involved in this arguement and dont intend to start now.....

By your anger....are you implying it is BAD to be gay. The HOW DARE YOU.... like its the worst thing someone could be called.

Irvine511 said:
so ... and people wonder why gay kids kill themselves?

alot of kids kill themselves. Not just gay kids. Suicide is very rapent among our youth. I dont believe every kid who was gay that committed suicide did it because he/she was gay. :rolleyes:

VertigoGal said:
I was joking, and it appears chris was too. :scratch:

I really dont think he was. If you search his posts he doesnt ever seem to have anything nice to say. This is the same person that has called one of our members a lousy bar slut.

Irvine511 said:
so ... and people wonder why gay kids kill themselves?
Because they read Harry Potter books & are under the control of Satan..... :tsk: :tsk:

Sorry :reject: - humor is my coping mechanism. No offense intended to anyone.
And thank you Sicy for so promptly locking out that asshole! :up: :hug: Our Mods :hug:

TheBrush said:

alot of kids kill themselves. Not just gay kids. Suicide is very rapent among our youth. I dont believe every kid who was gay that committed suicide did it because he/she was gay. :rolleyes:

wow.

you don't know anything about this, do you?

p.s. -- "alot" is not a word

I don't know, but I like the 'spice' of this thread. I like the short little jabs. I laughed out loud at Melon's post.

Anyway, I wish there were some place where people could just post whatever.

Back
Top Bottom