Your Funeral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
I am totally obsessed with my funeral. I am only 19 but am continually thinking about how my funeral will pan out. I have dreams about it and constantly think about every detail.

I want certain songs played at certain times. I want a letter written by me to be read. I want an Irish flag over my casket. I want certain foods to be served. I also want wake up dead man to be the song they play. I have a writing to be read before the song on why i want it played. Do you think this is a appropriate song to be played?

Is there something wrong with me for thinking about this so much at such a young age? I am not afraid of death and dont have some fear of anything. I just want my funeral to be very maticulaus. I think about it constantly. Should i stop?

i want people to cry about how i was the best person on earth and how things will never be the same... and actually mean it!

but only for a day, then they can spread my ashes in the sea or in a garden maybe and not feel at all bad about me dying because it's part of life and the only true peace comes in the end

The Wanderer said:
i want people to cry about how i was the best person on earth and how things will never be the same... and actually mean it!

You know people will do this anyway wanderer? We cant really understand how much space we take up and what we mean to those around us, but think of those you might have lost (and I hope you haven't really lost anyone) when people die they leave the biggest hole in our lives. You are the most important person in someone's life right now, and God forbid when its time for you to go, they will realise it too, if they dont already.

Now that I've depressed this thread even more, what do you think bonoman? Do you think you dwell on it too much? I dont think anyone should spend too long contemplating their own mortality as it is one of 2 definite things in this life (the other being taxes) and to spend any significant amount of time thinking about it is perhaps counter productive. We all die unfortunately, and hopefully you wont for a long time yet, not that we often know a rough time frame...you might spend the next 70 years wondering about it. I just think if you focus on the end, you miss out on all the inbetween.

I used to think that I wanted every guy who'd ever hurt me to come to my funeral, fling themselves before my parents, and beg for their forgiveness...maybe have one try to jump in the grave with me...

::now laughing at such a ridiculous thought, doesn't like to contemplate one's own mortality::

::runs off to watch VH1 and take a shower::

I have not thought about death for a long time. I used to, but since I have children.....all I can think about is staying on this planet.....and watching them grow. They are too beautiful and precious to me.

That being said....

I wish to be burried in a Red Sox uniform......(Number 8 YAZ)
I want a Magic Eight Ball in my casket......
I want my coffee mug with my children's picture on it in the casket...
The current year's Fantasy Baseball guide by Ron Shandler in my hands
In my shirt over my heart....a copy of the wedding vows my wife wrote to me and a copy of the vows I wrote to her..
In my other hand a chess piece (Black King)
I want "Fanfair for the Common Man" played when I enter the church(FENWAY PARK).....
I want someone who disliked my stands on issues to step up to the plate and say something nice about me being a man of Integrity and Honor.
Middle of service I would like Where Streets Have No Name sung...
When I leave the Fenway I would like the theme to "Star Wars" played.
My exit would be through the door in left field and I would be burried in the Green Monster.

Peace

Last edited:
I'll make arrangements ahead of time for cremation. Then everybody can have a big party and celebrate. I don't care what's done with my ashes. They can be thrown out with the garbage for all I care. The body will be dead but Soul is eternal (according to my beliefs) and I really don't like the idea of people hangin' on to ashes or making a big ceremony out of spreading them. They can if they want, though--I'll be gone so I really don't care. But as little drama as possible would be my wish.

Interesting thoughts.

I've always told my wife to dump my body in the ocean.
I hope she doesn't do it just for the insurance money.

As for the funeral, I think I'd like to write my own sermon - the kind that makes you sweat a little. Focus on the power of Christ's resurrection with little mention of me.

*adding to list of things to do*

nbcrusader said:
Interesting thoughts.

I've always told my wife to dump my body in the ocean.
I hope she doesn't do it just for the insurance money.

:lol:

aw, c'mon, let her rake it in.

It is dark. Warm light bathes a spot in the front. Also Sprach Zarathustra begins to play as my casket (open) slowly rises up through the ground. The crowd gasps in amazament. Suddenly, the room lights up with colored lights moving all about as the theme from American Gladiator plays. The priest/rabbi/minister/MC bursts through the paper wall, and the crowd goes nuts. Then, before he says anything, my casket lowers back into the floor, while my body, suspended by ropes, hangs in midair for all to see. The MC says a few words and invites people to come up and say a few words about me. Everyone comes up and says all kinds of stuff. Once everyone has settled down, my corpse, still suspended in midair, turns to face everyone, and a very accomplished puppeteer uses my body as a marrionette to act like it's speaking. Meanwhile, the PA system starts playing a prerecorded speech I made before I died. After the speech, my body returns to a lying position, and the casket comes back up. I'm lowered into it. Then, an all-woman a capella choir walks in and performs The Ground Beneath Her Feet, only it's changed so that all the hers are now hises, etc. While the choir is singing, everyone passes my body to pay respects. If there's too many people there, the choir may follow up with U2's 40 or the Go Gos' We Got the Beat. After all that, there will be an open bar and fireworks display as my body is taken outside and buried.

bonoman said:
I think about it constantly. Should i stop?

I would argue that thinking about *anything* constantly falls under an obsession and is unhealthy.

When did you start thinking about your funeral, and under what pretenses?

Melon

I dont know melon, over the last year i guess. I have had 4 or 5 ppl around me die. But none of them were all that close just ppl i seen around. And a friend i had in high school got shoot in the head twice and it was disturbing that i could be here now and gone tommorow. But really its not only my funeral i think about. Its my parents and friends. What i would say about my parents or friends.

I dont dwell on death i dwell on the funeral.

if i gave the impression that i worry about death, that was not my intent, i really spend very little time if any thinking about dying, i could be dead already for all i know

You know, I don't really care. People say they want this, people say they want that, but at the end of the day, who on Earth will give a toss? You certainly won't.

Ant.

I have a few ideas about how I want to go.

I want it to be happy. I want it to be a time for people to either thank God for my life, or thank God that I'm gone. Either way!

I want to write some words to those I left behind, tell them how much they meant to me and if I leave behind kids, I'd tell them I'd never leave their side even though they can't see me. I'd only want my kids there if they were grown up, or if they were old enough to decide they wanted to go or not. Apart from that, I wouldn't want any other kids there. I'd want them out in the world having fun!

And then I would play "Kite" to let them know that they don't need me, and that I'm happy where I am, with God, and that I'll see them soon!

Last edited:
Death

Death is certain for the one who is born, and birth is certain for the one who dies. Therefore, you should not lament over the inevitable.

I want to go into the ground head first (like an italian architect (aldo rossi maybe)).

I want a huge evergreen planted on top of me.

I want bagpipes.

bonoman said:

Should i stop?

Yes!

Lifes too short- you will have spent it all planning your funeral

Well plan it but not that much

death really scares me!!! :(

I dont want a funeral at all. It's not only way too much money to spend on a corpse but I dont want pepole to be sad. I'd rather have them throw a party. With lots of music and dancing. I dont want people to look at my death and cry, I want them to look and my life and be happy. Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

I also dont like the idea of rotting in a box. I want to have my body to be of some use. Whether that be by donating organs or my whole body. I have no use of my body when I'm dead by others do have use of it.

I want...

cremation... ashes flung into the Pacific from the sky plane.
a memorial...
and no friends or family present at my burial or wake. :angry:

Song: :hmm: don't have one in mind yet.

I am 22 and have thought about my funeral arrangements. Over the years my ideas was been altered, but it ususally ends with me wanting there to be a party-type atmosphere.

Lots of food, drinks, crying, laughing, jokes, tragedies.

Cremation is the best way to go. It saves space and money, so my family/friends won't have to worry about wasting cash on my dead-ass :lol:

I haven't really thought much about my funeral, except that I know that I'd prefer to be cremated. I'll leave all the rest to the living friends and loved ones; after all, I probably won't be around to witness it all. Oh, I'd like for "Kite" to be played, though.

The only thing I've ever been thinking of is what music they should play during the ceremony. I think I'll have them play 'The Bad Touch' by the Bloodhound Gang just to shock people. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom