YOUR CALL SAVES LIVES: Please help get the Hyde AIDS Bill Passed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonAnne

Refugee
I received the below e-mail from DATA for help. It's amazing to know that you can really make a difference! Please make a call!

Thanks,

BostonAnne
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR CALL SAVES LIVES: VOTE in the HOUSE this THURSDAY

We know you want to seize the historic opportunity to act on behalf of the 30 million Africans dying of AIDS ? a treatable, preventable illness. Now please remind your elected representatives that you want them to act, now!

Thanks in large part to Illinois Representative Henry Hyde, the House has bipartisan legislation passed out of committee to authorize President Bush?s $15 billion initiative. The full House will vote on the bill on Thursday to enact this five-year program to attack AIDS in the hardest-hit 14 countries in Africa and the Caribbean. And the Senate should follow suit.

So please, call your Senator or Representative, and tell them to vote for the Hyde AIDS Bill.

?Tell your Representative to vote YES on the Hyde AIDS Bill on Thursday and to support final passage with $3b/year--with up to $1b for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria, in order to leverage money from other donors;

?Tell your Senators and Representative they must move quickly, so that the bill is passed by the time the leaders of the richest countries in the world, the G8, meet in France in June, so we can urge other countries to do their part.

?Tell them you want them to vote YES now?waiting even a week could mean a delay of several months?and that?s too long when each day claims new lives.

To call your Representative and Senators, dial the Senate switchboard at (202) 224-3121, and ask for them by name. To find out who your representative is, go to http://www.datadata.org/what.htm?1051549720340 and click on ?Find Your Representative.?

Thanks Boston Ann. I have emailed the CEO of the company I work for to see if I can have permission to send this out domestically and internationaly within our company. How could he say No...?

Update:

I participated in the Jubilee conference call last night.

today AND tomorrow ( thursday) the 15th is the day to bug the **** crap out of
your Senators if you want them to support the S 1009 bill ( that is
the Lugar Biden bill on Global AIDS, TB and Malaria.

There are some controversies surrounding some of the stiplulations
about where some of the money will go ( i.e. abstinence programs,
prevention gets about 33% I think). But it still needs to be passed.
We can always get on them later and pressure them to add some of the
Santorum amendment later.

Anyway, here's to do this. At this point, phone calls work best ( fax as secondary so here you go:
Call 1/202/224/3121 and ask for your Senator by name.
( for those in CA,
it's Feinstein, or Boxer) - both are supportive of this bill but we
need to reinforce this and also get them to bug the senators that are
riding the fence:

Those in the following states: they really need yer help: TN, NE, KS, MN, OK, Penn, NH.

Once connected with your Sen office,

you can quote this :

WHAT TO SAY:
"I am a constituent and am calling to strongly urge
Senator ______ to support the Durbin amendment to the AIDS bill
being voted on this Friday. This amendment will ensure the US can
give adequate donations to the Global Fund. Please also cosponsor S
1009, the Biden-Kerry bill. This bill puts forth a comprehensive,
bold and sensible approach to tackling global AIDS and other
diseases. I strongly urge Senator _____ to 1) support the Durbin
amendment, 2) cosponsor S 1009, and 3) make sure the AIDS bill has
binding provisions for deeper debt relief."