Writing an op/ed on Gay Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well ... as for the sexiness of politicians, or complete lack thereof, especially when the Republicans come to town for the inauguration and then you can't find a decent hooker that *isn't* booked, there is a saying:

"Washington is Hollywood for ugly people; Hollywood is Washington for the simple minded."

strangely, i'm doing hollywood-ish things (work in TV) in washington ... wonder where that puts me ...

Irvine511 said:
wow. i really can't believe that. parents would call your parents? over an article on gay marriage?

:ohmy:

students are still free to write their opinions in the school paper, yes?

No crap. U2democrat, should anyone start complaining about your article or demanding it be pulled or whatever, all you and your parents have to do is remind them of the First Amendment. They don't have to like what you said, but you're still fully entitled to say it.

It seriously scares me how uptight some people can be...

Also, hey, I'll join you on your hunt for sexy liberal men :D (heh, it's funny, I sit there and watch "All In The Family" with my parents, and I can already tell I'll never have to deal with the guy I someday marry duking it out with my dad, as I always seem to wind up falling for guys who would agree with my dad on pretty much any issue to begin with :p).

Angela

I know my principal will side with me. He's VERY supportive of the paper in the face of pissed off parents. So will the newspaper advisor and anyone who has common sense :up:

U2democrat said:
I know my principal will side with me. He's VERY supportive of the paper in the face of pissed off parents. So will the newspaper advisor and anyone who has common sense :up:

:up:. I don't know if the principal at the school that I went to back in Iowa would've been so supportive if I did something like this there-that was in a more conservative area (the day the Iraq war started, I took a piece of paper, wrote a quote from a song I liked that would've fit for my stance on the war (didn't approve of it) and stuck it up on my locker. By the end of that day, when I went back to my locker, the paper was gone. I don't know who took it down, but that seriously ticked me off) and everything, so yeah, I'm not really sure what they would've said. I do know that my AP Government teacher and my Advanced Speech/World Literature teacher from that school would've both definitely supported me, though :).

Here's hoping you'll get a ton of support from people at your school :D.

Angela

U2democrat said:
Apparently it has caused many discussions in classes and between friends. This is good stuff. :up:

and that's what education should be about.

what a great introduction for your school about the power of the press and the importance of it's complete and utter freedom.

without people who are paid to question the conventional wisdom, scrutinize politicians, and buck the mainstream view of things, we'd be in a very different country and subject to the tyranny of the majority.

good work.

A lurker jumping in the thread late, but great article, Dem. And it's nice to know you're stirring up controversy at home as well as in cyberspace. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom