Wright leaves Obama campaign

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, let's see...

Samantha Power and Rev Wright are out on Obama's team.

Ferraro is out on Clinton's.

So clearly someone else from Clinton's side will have to go next.

Because we wouldn't want to have to keep focusing on the issues or anything.

Oh wait...I guess we can count Spitzer as being gone from Clinton's side since he was a superdelegate.

Is it even now? Can we move on?

Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

melon said:

The comments to that post are downright frightening.

Really? For the most part, I think they've been quite tame compared to what I see on Huffington or Kos.

joyfulgirl said:
Ok, let's see...

Samantha Power and Rev Wright are out on Obama's team.

Ferraro is out on Clinton's.

So clearly someone else from Clinton's side will have to go next.

Because we wouldn't want to have to keep focusing on the issues or anything.

Oh wait...I guess we can count Spitzer as being gone from Clinton's side since he was a superdelegate.

Is it even now? Can we move on?

But then who would Jon Stewart add to his "You're Not Helping" segment?

kellyahern said:

But then who would Jon Stewart add to his "You're Not Helping" segment?

I can't believe I haven't been watching Jon Stewart. I always forget. I need to set the DVR. :grumpy:

so, what's going on here is one of two things:

1) getting all this out of the way now, so one of the two enters the general having confronted Vader, so a jedi they will be

or,

2) self-immolation

and, yes, Hillary started it.

Yes, the monstrous Hillary, doing what no politician has ever done before.

joyfulgirl said:
Yes, the monstrous Hillary, doing what no politician has ever done before.

not in the primaries. can you name me another candidate who has said that the Republican is more qualified than her opponent?

Monday morning on Fox News, McCain said President Bush was qualified to be president because he rallied the nation after the Sept. 11 attacks. But then he added that Kerry is also qualified for the Oval Office.

Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

melon said:

The comments to that post are downright frightening.

Why are they frightening to you? Because they question Obama? I mean, it is questionable that he had that man as a pastor for 20 years. As the saying goes, you are who you hang out with.

Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

2861U2 said:
Really? For the most part, I think they've been quite tame compared to what I see on Huffington or Kos.

I don't read either, so I can't compare directly. However, I've seen similarly bizarre comments on CNN.com's blogs.

Basically, a lot of them just seem needlessly hostile and hate filled.

Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

Pearl said:
Why are they frightening to you? Because they question Obama? I mean, it is questionable that he had that man as a pastor for 20 years. As the saying goes, you are who you hang out with.

By all means, question Obama all one would like. He should not be given special immunity from criticism, just as Hillary has not been given any favors either. I'm so completely torn on both candidates that I'll be happy to vote for either one in the general election, although my current sympathies lean toward Obama...slightly.

I'm mortified, I guess, by comments like this:

Obama still has 20 years of tie with him. On top of that, he was married by this hateful man and went to his church every sunday. NO ONE in their right mind should vote for obama (who is officially anti-american) he never puts his right hand over his heart, he never wears a flag pin, and now, he listens to hate filled messages against americans.

Anyone who would not vote for a candidate based on complete nonsense like this, rather than dealing with issues, should have their voter registration revoked. One thing I've feared is that this election has allowed our latent racist and sexist culture in America to come to a head. People are still all too inclined to fear "the Other."

Secondly, the sheer polarization in this primary campaign cannot be good. I don't remember a primary campaign with this much enmity towards each other ever. Maybe some of our older members could offer an example, if there is one.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

melon said:

Secondly, the sheer polarization in this primary campaign cannot be good.

Absolutely. I haven't been around long enough to witness too many presidential campaigns, but this campaign is really something else to watch. The negative attacks launched by everyone directed at everyone will prove quite destructive ultimately, IMO.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

melon said:

Anyone who would not vote for a candidate based on complete nonsense like this, rather than dealing with issues, should have their voter registration revoked. One thing I've feared is that this election has allowed our latent racist and sexist culture in America to come to a head. People are still all too inclined to fear "the Other."

OK, I see your point. But I see nothing wrong with someone changing their mind about Obama due to his association with this pastor. For the record, I was always leery about Obama because he gives me the impression that he's all talk; he's just a charismatic speaker and nothing else. He's like Bono in a way - could talk himself in and out of everything by just turning on the charisma. As you can tell, I don't particularly care for charismatic people.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah, I prefer people who are dry and void of personality. :eyebrow:

I see charismatic people as great manipulators. That's is nothing to admire. I've had personal experience with people with magnetic personalities and their hearts don't shine as much as their personality.

I'm watching AC360 now, and Obama is just using the smooth talk to get his way out of this mess.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

Pearl said:
OK, I see your point. But I see nothing wrong with someone changing their mind about Obama due to his association with this pastor. For the record, I was always leery about Obama because he gives me the impression that he's all talk; he's just a charismatic speaker and nothing else. He's like Bono in a way - could talk himself in and out of everything by just turning on the charisma. As you can tell, I don't particularly care for charismatic people.

I don't either. I really understand your suspicions. I'm still skeptical. But Hillary has said and done some stuff that has really rubbed me the wrong way too. So that's why I'm torn.

What concerns me is the overall reaction to this. Obama, now, is secretly racist against all whites, and part of some larger black conspiracy to destroy America, if you want to believe many of those comments.

John McCain, on the other hand, accepts an endorsement from a white minister (I forget his name), who is known for virulently anti-Catholic rhetoric, amongst other stuff, I imagine, and McCain both states that he rejects those comments while also refusing to reject his endorsement. So does this mean that McCain is a raving bigot, part of a larger "white conspiracy" hell-bent on destroying America?

This is where the racism is becoming apparent.

melon said:

John McCain, on the other hand, accepts an endorsement from a white minister (I forget his name), who is known for virulently anti-Catholic rhetoric, amongst other stuff, I imagine, and McCain both states that he rejects those comments while also refusing to reject his endorsement. So does this mean that McCain is a raving bigot, part of a larger "white conspiracy" hell-bent on destroying America?

This is where the racism is becoming apparent.

I agree with you. I think Obama needs to be more honest on the realities of race in this country. When he talks about change, he should say what exactly needs to be changed, not just say "we need a change!"

I think the problem is Obama is not as smart as he sounds.

melon said:
What concerns me is the overall reaction to this. Obama, now, is secretly racist against all whites, and part of some larger black conspiracy to destroy America, if you want to believe many of those comments.

this was what the Swift Boating of Kerry was all about -- the subtext was that he hates America. that's always been the subtext. if you question/disagree, then you hate America.

John Hagee.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wright leaves Obama campaign

Pearl said:

I see charismatic people as great manipulators. That's is nothing to admire. I've had personal experience with people with magnetic personalities and their hearts don't shine as much as their personality.

I'm watching AC360 now, and Obama is just using the smooth talk to get his way out of this mess.

Great communicators come in all shapes and sizes, just to dismiss someone because they are charismatic makes absolutely no sense to me.

You can have two people of the same great character, or two people of the same evil character; one may be charismatic the other void of any charisma, I feel they should be judged by their character, not their charisma.

Charisma does not = manipulation.

I would like to know why my thread about reverend wright was deleted from this board?:censored:

Dreadsox said:
I would like to know why my thread about reverend wright was deleted from this board?:censored:

I wondered the same thing earlier and thought it may have been merged and not labeled...

May a demon took it over!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I wondered the same thing earlier and thought it may have been merged and not labeled...

May a demon took it over!

I have never had a thread deleted before.

Maybe (as has happened in the past) someone with issues about my threads got the ear of a mod and changed the name.

Since I cannot PM I would like a MOD to contact me Dreadsox@aol.com.

Is it to much to question the RACIALLY HATEFUL speaches put forth by that "minister" of the gospel?

I mean .... If he were white would my thread have disappeared?

Funny he resigned from the campaign today! I guess Obama felt something was wrong too.

Just to controvertial for the members of this forum I guess to call a black minister out for bordeline racist hate mongering.

Dreadsox said:

I have never had a thread deleted before.

Maybe (as has happened in the past) someone with issues about my threads got the ear of a mod and changed the name.

Since I cannot PM I would like a MOD to contact me Dreadsox@aol.com.

Is it to much to question the RACIALLY HATEFUL speaches put forth by that "minister" of the gospel?

I mean .... If he were white would my thread have disappeared?

I don't remember anything wrong with your thread. In fact even the most controversial threads are just closed, not erased. It takes something pretty extreme to get erased...

I'm sure there is an explanation.

Dreadsox said:

non premium members are only allowed to start 4 threads a week.

most likely, a couple of complaints did it in

Back
Top Bottom