Worth repeating - Bono's Letter to Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
An open letter from Bono to the President of the United States in today's Washington Post:

"Harry Truman once said, "I trust the people because when they know the facts, they do the right thing." The facts about AIDS in the poorest countries -- especially Africa -- are now clearly in focus. They show not just an unprecedented humanitarian tragedy, but a clear and present danger to the United States.

In Africa today, 9,500 people will contract HIV and 6,500 will lose their lives to AIDS, dying for want of medicines that we take for granted. When they die, they take with them their earning power, their human capital -- and they leave behind their children. Unless we, as an international community, go to war against this killer, there will be at least 25 million AIDS orphans in Africa by the end of this decade. It's hard not to be evangelical about the facts.

When President Bush delivers his State of the Union address tomorrow, he will focus on the military threats to national security: Iraq, North Korea, terrorism. But I hope that for a few minutes the president will talk about the global AIDS crisis -- and define a historic American response.

A plague of biblical proportions is spreading on what historians and America's critics will note is America's watch. A "Lord of the Flies" syndrome is emerging: children bringing up children. It's hard for the heart not to be moved by the immense loss of lives. It's hard for the head not to see the security implications of the destruction of the African family, African economies, African hopes.

Though the 9/11 hijackers were mostly wealthy Saudis, they took refuge in the failed state of Afghanistan. There may be 10 potential Afghanistans in Africa. Secretary of State Colin Powell has warned that AIDS, as much as any rogue nation, is a grave threat to America's security and the world's stability.

It does not have to be this way. Medicines can halve the chance of a mother giving HIV to her child. Anti-retroviral drugs produce something called the "Lazarus effect": A patient can go from death's door back to work within three months. That's quite a return on a dollar-a-day investment, which is what those drugs now cost us. Soon they will cost even less.

When I met with President Bush last year, he promised that despite the deficit, if we could show him effective programs, these efforts would not go without funding. We can. Prudent investments through targeted bilateral aid and the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria are saving and transforming lives based on what works: prevention, treatment and care. See Uganda, Senegal, Zambia. Failure to invest now will leave us with a moral deficit and our children with the consequences of a global security deficit.

I recently traveled America's Midwest talking about AIDS. In the heart of America we felt the decency and generosity that springs from the soil. We saw the values that set the moral compass for the rest of this country. And we heard the rumblings of a movement. At a truck stop in Iowa, Teamsters told us they would transport medicines to South Africa, where 50 percent of truckers are HIV-positive. In churches in Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska, I was asked to preach from the pulpit, but actually it was the congregations that led the call, not me.

The facts are transforming mainstream America, just as Truman said they would. In thousands of letters and calls to the White House and Congress, the American people are saying AIDS is an emergency. Bipartisan health experts agree that from the United States at least $2.5 billion is required this year to kick-start the war against HIV and AIDS and to show the poorest, most vulnerable people in the world that America is a true partner for health, global security and prosperity. I'm from Europe, where the response has not yet matched the scale of the crisis -- we will have to follow America's lead in this war.

It's a chance to show what America is for, not just what America is against. Two-and-a-half billion dollars is a lot of money. But too much to help save the lives of 3 million black people a year, care for Africa's 13 million AIDS orphans and prevent 30 million people from contracting HIV? I don't think so. More important, I don't think most Americans think so.

In crude financial terms, this is an extraordinary return on investment. America's leadership would force other nations to step up and do their fair share. The longer we take, the greater the cost -- measured in millions of lives and many tens of billions of dollars. Every State of the Union address is historic and every budget momentous. But with facts like these before us, this is when American leadership -- global leadership -- really matters.

I'm in the business of making music; I know about screaming crowds. President Bush is in the business of making history. I'm convinced that if he stands before Congress tomorrow night and declares that Africa's AIDS epidemic is an emergency, people watching in America and around the world will stand up, cheer and volunteer to help. And if he backs his commitment in his budget, he will show the world the kind of leadership that only America can provide. As the Midwesterners I met told me, this is not simply a matter of conscience. It's a test of America's greatness."

The writer, lead singer of the band U2, is an AIDS activist and founder of DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa).

Last edited:
I agree, gabrielvox! Bono's open letter to President Bush is worth repeating!

I hope that President Bush addresses the AIDS emergency with a commitment to get the necessary funding into the budget.

sorry, but there is a very important war to be fought in iraq that requires all available funding. somewhere in the neighbourhood of 250 billion dollars (correct me if im wrong) goes into the militairy every year.

:S not cool, i know.

Cow of the Seas said:
sorry, but there is a very important war to be fought in iraq that requires all available funding. somewhere in the neighbourhood of 250 billion dollars (correct me if im wrong) goes into the militairy every year.

Yeah, but these people have been dying way before this "important" war was started. The funding is delayed as far as I'm concerned.

Bush's (hypothetical) response:

"For years, countless millions of people have died each year from AIDS," Bush told reporters. "Don't misunderestimate me. We shall solve this crisis. Which is exactly why we must act quickly and decisively against Saddam Hussein."

;)

Melon

Cow of the Seas said:

More like 369 billion dollars in 2002. This years will include about an extra 250 billion if we go to war in Iraq. I just saw the estimated daily costs of our troop and equipment build-up now, but will have to look.

edited to say:

What a great tactic. The man has muy grande cojones!

Last edited:
AMERICANS HERE MY CRY!

be sure to vote bush and his republican cronies back into power next year! dont fail your country, cause if you dont vote republican your not patriotic, and if your not patriotic you will be collected by the gestapo - i mean the fbi and you will be sent to jail.

it is not your rite, it is your duty to vote for these guys again next election.

thank you.

melon said:

"For years, countless millions of people have died each year from AIDS," Bush told reporters. "Don't misunderestimate me. We shall solve this crisis. Which is exactly why we must act quickly and decisively against Saddam Hussein."

;)

Melon

LOL.

And yet...so true.

I agree with what a lot of other people said in here-Cow Of The Seas, your last post there in particular...haha, yeah, really, no kidding.

I love that letter from Bono...please, Bush, for the love of god, just listen to Bono and get serious about this for once.

Angela

melon said:

;)

Melon

Been reading The Onion lately, melon? :D

To my open-minded friends-
Lets wait and see.:)
I do remember hearing Bono say recently that he feels President Bush is very concern on how the USA is percieved around the world.

Thanks for posting the article gab.:)

DB9

melon said:

;)

Melon

:lol:

My personal opinion on the letter and if Bush will do anything ( 3 billion is what is needed this year) and NOW- is that bush

1. will not mention the crisis in Africa surrounding AIDS tonight on the State of the Union.

2. Will not come through with the minimum 2.2. billion that is requested.

I am disheartened to say all of this. I will be calling the white house tomorrow through Friday even tho I have no faith in the Bush administration I will still try.

I wish he would prove me wrong.

SAD...............

:sad:

ya, but dont cry oktobergirl! think about all the money your government will be saving a year from now after they have installed a puppet regime and everyone gets cheap oil?

:up:

Although his letter is well writen and meaningful and his cause really noble, I can?t help feeling disappointed with Bono lately. Not a single word against this insane, stupid war, that has been planned for so long. At least Edge said something against it, I think it was in his last interview to Hot Press. Bono says "President Bush is in the business of making history". The thing is, in my viewpoint, what kind of history he will be remembered for.

i think edge did say something against it, briefly, i didn't think it was in hot press but i might have been...don't remember...

it's not going to WORK for bono to say anyhting against it...he's got to make friends with him, and saying something against dubya's war ain't gonna help...

that "hypothetical response" was hillarious!

Well, call me naive if you want it, but I think he should try, at least, he would be coherent with his history and background, coming from a country divided by war for so long. He has a way with words and it seems that he has the simpathy of the allmighty Mr.Bush. This is not a minor crisis, this is big, and it will affect the whole world, Africa included.

Last edited:
oktobergirl said:
My personal opinion on the letter and if Bush will do anything ( 3 billion is what is needed this year) and NOW- is that bush

1. will not mention the crisis in Africa surrounding AIDS tonight on the State of the Union.

2. Will not come through with the minimum 2.2. billion that is requested.

Someone said in another thread on this that they heard Bush will talk about the crisis in Africa with AIDS tonight.

But you're right, anyway-yeah, he might say something about the problem in Africa, but will he actually do anything about it? No. He's too busy with his precious war.

Originally posted by oktobergirl
I am disheartened to say all of this. I will be calling the white house tomorrow through Friday even tho I have no faith in the Bush administration I will still try.

I wish he would prove me wrong.

SAD...............

:sad:

So do I.

Seriously, I feel horrible for Bono...he keeps hoping the Bush administration will pull through, he trusts them...I only wish I felt the same way. It ticks me off to know that Bush is not gonna do as much (or not gonna do anything at all) for this crisis as Bono would like him to do.

As for Bono not commenting on the war...I don't know why he hasn't-I'd like to hear his thoughts on the war as well-but like IWasBored said, if he wants Bush to help him out, he's gotta stay on his good side and not butt heads with him over the war. Personally, I'd love to see Bono butt heads with Bush over this war-that could get interesting-but if what IWasBored said is the case, then that makes sense.

Besides, we haven't heard any comments from Bono yet-that doesn't mean we never will. He may speak up sometime soon.

Angela

diamond said:

Thanks for posting the article gab.:)

DB9

Diamond, lookit, I know youre just trying to be friendly, but look, I have plainly told you that I find you calling me "gab" offensive.

Shortening people's screennames is one thing, but Gabriel is my real frikin name, aight? Do you call Martha "Ma", or the like?

I don't know one Gabriel, Gabriella, Gabrielle who enjoys being called "gab". Gabe maybe, but even that is for my close friends. I cant think of any other reason you are using this except to annoy me. Gab for Gabriel is NOT the same as Matt for Matthew or Greg for Gregory or Will for William or whatever. Gab is NOT a nickname.

Please stop it, its quite annoying.

Now back to the topic at hand.

Yes, you have stated several times in here that you post under your real name, so I will take that to mean that "Vox" is truly your last name.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom