World Press Photo Of The Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
speaks volumes

A Reuters picture of a mother and child at an emergency feeding center in Niger during the recent famine there won the coveted 2005 World Press Photo of the Year Award, organizers said on Friday.The picture, taken by Canadian photographer Finbarr O'Reilly in Tahoua, northwestern Niger, on August 1 2005 shows the emaciated fingers of a one-year old child pressed against the lips of his mother.

2006_02_10t083245_450x301_us_media_photo_award.jpg

CBC Arts

The "haunting" image of an African woman and her malnourished child by Reuters photographer Finbarr O'Reilly was named the World Press Photo of the Year 2005.

O'Reilly captured the winning shot while in the town of Tahoua in northwestern Niger last August. In 2005, Niger suffered massive food shortages when it was devastated by locusts and the worst drought in decades.

His image shows a one-year-old infant pressing his tiny fingers against the lips of his mother, who had brought him to an emergency feeding clinic run by Doctors Without Borders.

"I was actually very sick on this day and I couldn't go out and shoot anywhere else," the Dakar, Senegal-based O'Reilly recalled in an interview with CBC News on Friday morning.

"So I just sat in this clinic for several hours, shooting away and occasionally sitting down to take a rest. [The winning photo] was actually taken during one of my moments of rest, as I was watching the interaction between mother and child," he said.

"The image seems to have stuck and struck people in a way that I guess I never would have expected."

O'Reilly's photo "has haunted me ever since I first saw it," said James Colton, chair of the international jury for the prestigious awards.

"It has stayed in my head, even after seeing all the thousands of others during the competition. This image has everything — beauty, horror and despair. It is simple, elegant and moving," he said.

Nearly 4,500 professional photographers from 122 countries submitted more than 83,000 images for consideration in this year's event.

"This image has everything: beauty, horror and despair. It is simple, elegant and moving."—Photo jury chair James Colton

Considering the intense competition, O'Reilly's win is even more significant. A former arts reporter in Canada, he joined Reuters as a freelance correspondent in 2001 and is now its chief photographer for west and central Africa.

"I was working in Africa where there was never a multimedia team and I was always the one who was taking the pictures to go with my stories," he said.

"I come from a background as a text journalist and writer, and I'm fairly new to photography. I'll be the first to admit that I have a lot to learn about it."

Breathtaking photo.

I have gone to see this exhibit in Toronto every year for the past few years. Usually it's in the fall, and it's really stunning - all the categories are worth taking a look at.

I would really love to see an exhibit like that.

I'm going to Hawaii to see U2 in April and this time (I've been there before) I'd like to take soem time to visit some of the art museums there and gardens and skip the tourist-y stuff.

anitram said:
Breathtaking photo.

I have gone to see this exhibit in Toronto every year for the past few years. Usually it's in the fall, and it's really stunning - all the categories are worth taking a look at.

i do the same here in Milan, and everytime I go out in tears...

Back
Top Bottom