Women as priests...a sin??? Vatican excommunicates 7.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why don't we just stop going to church? I know most of us don't go in the first place, but it seems that the majority of voices that dominate American politics are with the church.

It surprises me that in a country where fewer than 1/4 of the population actually goes to church that there is so much debate over religious issues.

Stop going to church and take back what is rightfully yours! Am I right? I might be wrong, but isn't religion a form of mind-control set to divert our attention away from a class war between the have and have-nots? Am I sounded like a Communist? Maybe, but that doesn't disqualify the question.

Danospano said:
Why don't we just stop going to church? I know most of us don't go in the first place, but it seems that the majority of voices that dominate American politics are with the church.

It surprises me that in a country where fewer than 1/4 of the population actually goes to church that there is so much debate over religious issues.

Stop going to church and take back what is rightfully yours! Am I right? I might be wrong, but isn't religion a form of mind-control set to divert our attention away from a class war between the have and have-nots? Am I sounded like a Communist? Maybe, but that doesn't disqualify the question.

Religion *has* been, and still is, used to justify much evil. It's been used in everything from witch hunts and Inquisitions to stupid political games that used it to make slavery and other unjust things "moral" and a whole slew of horrid stuff. What draws some of us to the church is certainly not any of this. It's a search for something permanent in this jungle of uncertain transience that life is. It's tough to be an autistic. It's a bunch of depression, anxiety, cognitive limitations and other things that are, to say the least, a drag. Being a Catholic gives me a sense of stability and hope that I'd never trade. If it's a voluntary act, then religion isn't coercion. I choose to do this, and believe this.

If you want to believe in a religion, go ahead. It's your life, and I respect your desicion to have faith is something you can't see. If it gives you comfort and hope, I applaud you for defending it.

My opinion is and has been stated many times in the past. I don't get any reassurance from organized religions and that's why "I" choose to have a personal relationship with the cosmos, the Supreme Being, the Great Spirit. Even though I have no proof of a spiritual being, I believe there is more to life than what meets the eye.

Organized religion is mind-control. It's a crutch. It's a warm-bubble bath.

Maybe, someday my perspective and opinon will change, but until then I'm sticking with my method. I don't need a Pope, a messiah, a prophet, or a fat, bald, laughing Buddha to be one with my surroundings.

Oh my *insert random and numerous explitaves here*, Shannon. That is DISGUSTING that the Catholic heirarchy would even consider relaxing punishments on men caught sexually abusing children. As usual, you're right, they set up three layers of double standards. The male priests are on top, who can abuse whomever, until they do it with another consenting man and then he goes to hell. Women are dead last, they're not only barred from the order, but their efforts and voluntary service for the Church is not even recognized.

So, it's better to be a child molster in the Catholic Church than to be gay or a women outside of it.

I must say that I'm very angry about the whole molestation thing. It's obscene. The big shots have done a lousy job dealing with this stuff. They're still screwing up, and the only reason they did anything in the first place is because we put up a stink about it and filed a bunch of lawsuits and stuff. This is disgusting.:banghead: :banghead:

Interestingly, in Marian apparition circles, the destruction of the Church is foretold before its rebirth. Kind of like that "destroy the temple; rebuild in three days" idea in the gospels.

I often don't know what to think of these apparitions--whether to believe them or not--but it is interesting watching some of the pieces come together.

As always, faith should come before the institution. Most of us sincerely know this, but yet, those who are supposed to be leading us are the last to know. We have a hierarchy going in one direction, with 90% of its 1 billion+ followers in the other.

Melon

melon said:
Interestingly, in Marian apparition circles, the destruction of the Church is foretold before its rebirth. Kind of like that "destroy the temple; rebuild in three days" idea in the gospels.

I often don't know what to think of these apparitions--whether to believe them or not--but it is interesting watching some of the pieces come together.

As always, faith should come before the institution. Most of us sincerely know this, but yet, those who are supposed to be leading us are the last to know. We have a hierarchy going in one direction, with 90% of its 1 billion+ followers in the other.

Melon

That's interesting. I'm not big into Marian devotion so I didn't know about that idea, but it makes sense, particularly with the hierarchy going the way they are. They are completely out of touch.

Back
Top Bottom