Woman marries dead boyfriend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Woman marries dead boyfriend
February 11, 2004 - 9:02AM

A 35-year-old Frenchwoman became both bride and widow when she married her dead boyfriend, in an exchange of vows that required authorisation from the French president.

The ceremony was performed at Nice City Hall on the French Riviera.

The deceased groom, a former policeman identified as Eric, was not present at the ceremony. He was killed by a drunk driver in September 2002.

Demichel told LCI television she was fully aware that "it could seem shocking to marry someone who is dead", but said that her fiance's absence from her life had not dimmed her feelings for him.

According to French law, a marriage between a living person and a dead person can take place as long as preliminary civic formalities have been completed that show the couple had planned to marry. Before the ceremony can take place, it must be approved by the French president. [/Q]

I'm glad to see heterosexuals preserving the sanctity of marriage. :up:

Melon

its none of my business whether its an ok thing to do or not.....but its just a stupid thing to do

I just think we need a further definition of marriage now. This may become the rage here in the states. Talk about a can of worms....

Dreadsox said:
I just think we need a further definition of marriage now. This may become the rage here in the states. Talk about a can of worms....

That's because many Americans put their fears before their brains. I doubt that any court or legislature would ever allow one to marry a deceased individual. In fact, that is considered fraud. France is different, merely because they have a law allowing it.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

That's because many Americans put their fears before their brains.

I can see it being challenged in court.....we were going to get married. It was their dying wish.

I can see it...not out of fear....I was sarcastic at first....but now I am serious.

I'm with Melon, I'm glad France is doing their best to uphold the sanctity of marriage.

On a serious note, how would this work legally? You marry someone without true consent. She can't get divorced without his signature, but I guess you're considered a widow, so you can remarry without divorce. Doesn't the man have a say in any of this?

yes, I know she will be happy, but she is marrying a stiff she could do better.

Good grief, this is a new standard of nuttiness. This is one of the damnedest stories I've ever heard. Wait until we start talking about it here!

This is a story you would expect in the cheap tabloids. The real story is that France has a law that allows you to marry a dead person.

Well, I'm going to be the minority and say that yes, this is weird, but I can't justify calling this woman a sicko or a nutcase. Two months ago one of my best friend's died of cancer. Everyone will agree that her boyfriend took this the hardest of anyone, including her own parents. He was at the hospital with her every day. He wanted her to live so they could eventually get married. Everyone also agrees that they were the perfect couple. Her death wasn't unexpected in the sense that she'd been in the hospital for months, yet she had been doing better and was starting to eat on her own again. Whenever I see her boyfriend, I can't help but wonder how he feels inside and how he will ever be able to have another relationship like that again. Now I'm not saying he should marry my dead friend now, but still, I'm sure this woman in France didn't marry her dead boyfriend because she had some sick fettish with dead people. I don't think it's fair for us to sit here and make a mockery out of this. Imagine if the person you had loved for so long and were planning on marrying was suddenly taken away forever...even if we don't agree on her marriage, we should all be able to sympathize with that.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Well, I'm going to be the minority and say that yes, this is weird, but I can't justify calling this woman a sicko or a nutcase. Two months ago one of my best friend's died of cancer. Everyone will agree that her boyfriend took this the hardest of anyone, including her own parents. He was at the hospital with her every day. He wanted her to live so they could eventually get married. Everyone also agrees that they were the perfect couple. Her death wasn't unexpected in the sense that she'd been in the hospital for months, yet she had been doing better and was starting to eat on her own again. Whenever I see her boyfriend, I can't help but wonder how he feels inside and how he will ever be able to have another relationship like that again. Now I'm not saying he should marry my dead friend now, but still, I'm sure this woman in France didn't marry her dead boyfriend because she had some sick fettish with dead people. I don't think it's fair for us to sit here and make a mockery out of this. Imagine if the person you had loved for so long and were planning on marrying was suddenly taken away forever...even if we don't agree on her marriage, we should all be able to sympathize with that.

This is in no offense to your story, but I've had this same exact thing happen in my family, and you grieve you don't marry this person. Marriage is two people consenting to spend the rest of their lives together, you can't exactly do that with one person already dead. It's a mockery of marriage and a mockery to the departed.

Imagine if the person you had loved for so long and were planning on marrying was suddenly taken away forever...even if we don't agree on her marriage, we should all be able to sympathize with that. [/B]

Yes I sypathize with her, but I don't have to imagine it. Speaking from experience, I lost my girlfriend 5 months ago to an accident related to diabetes. For that month she was in the hospital, all I could think about was her getting better so could ask her to marry me. When she died, I didn't think I could go on. To me, marriage is something I hope to SHARE with a woman I love some day. Marriage is until "Death do us Part", not "Until we die, then we Unite".

There truly isn't anything scared anymore it seems in this world.

You know what? Somebody can marry their vibrator if they want to. I don't give a rat's ass. Laws do not make something sacred or not sacred. It's the presence or absence of LOVE that determine whether or not something is sacred.

joyfulgirl said:
You know what? Somebody can marry their vibrator if they want to. I don't give a rat's ass. Laws do not make something sacred or not sacred. It's the presence or absence of LOVE that determine whether or not something is sacred.

Exactly. In the homosexual thread, I feel like the basic justification is that if two people are both consenting to a relationship and love each other, then they should never be denied the right to marry. As weird as it is, if that was the wish of the boyfriend, then I guess based on any marriage for love and happiness and the consent of both individuals, then it's ok. Besides, if you think about it, we burn bodies, we use them for scientific experimentation, or donate pieces of people per their wishes, so why is marriage so much different?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is in no offense to your story, but I've had this same exact thing happen in my family, and you grieve you don't marry this person. Marriage is two people consenting to spend the rest of their lives together, you can't exactly do that with one person already dead. It's a mockery of marriage and a mockery to the departed.

I agree, I don't think that this type of marriage is acceptable and I personally do not agree with it at all, it just irked me that people were making a mockery out of a truly devastating situation.

joyfulgirl said:

:applaud:

joyfulgirl said:
:up:

But i hope they will use rechargeable batteries,...

deep said:
well, at least she will always know where he is

Deep I just got hit was a $4000 car repair bill....yet you made me laugh,,,,Thanks

joyfulgirl said:
You know what? Somebody can marry their vibrator if they want to.

Well, there woould be no rest on the honeymoon....

Vibrator and Rats ass in the same sentence....

Interesting:ohmy:

swizzlestick said:

Yes I sypathize with her, but I don't have to imagine it. Speaking from experience, I lost my girlfriend 5 months ago to an accident related to diabetes. For that month she was in the hospital, all I could think about was her getting better so could ask her to marry me. When she died, I didn't think I could go on.

My prayers go out to you....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I agree, I don't think that this type of marriage is acceptable and I personally do not agree with it at all, it just irked me that people were making a mockery out of a truly devastating situation.

I am sorry....Did not mean to offend.

swizzlestick said:
Speaking from experience, I lost my girlfriend 5 months ago to an accident related to diabetes. For that month she was in the hospital, all I could think about was her getting better so could ask her to marry me. When she died, I didn't think I could go on.

:( :hug:. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Joyfulgirl made a good point in her post, though. I personally find this story very unusual, but...:shrug:. I dunno.

I highly doubt there'll be some outbreak of people marrying deceased spouses, though. Most people wouldn't find that appealing.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom