Will The Olympics be packed with US patriotism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Lemonite:
Ah.. Swedish Television is going to have ri-cock-u-lous amounts of American Patriotism????

Explain that one..

Well since they are broadcasting a world-wide event taking place in the USA, my guess is that they will show a lot from, The United States of America. And during those broadcasts I think there is a chance that I will see a lot of American patrionism.

But I?ve heard that the IOC has ordered the organizers to cut down on it so it doesn?t get like Atlanta 96. So maybe, I?m wrong about how this olympics will look like to the rest of the world. Hope so, I guess we?ll see during the next two weeks.

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

Originally posted by Olofski:
Ah.. Swedish Television is going to have ri-cock-u-lous amounts of American Patriotism????

Explain that one..

Well since they are broadcasting a world-wide event taking place in the USA, my guess is that they will show a lot from, The United States of America. And during those broadcasts I think there is a chance that I will see a lot of American patrionism.

But I?ve heard that the IOC has ordered the organizers to cut down on it so it doesn?t get like Atlanta 96. So maybe, I?m wrong about how this olympics will look like to the rest of the world. Hope so, I guess we?ll see during the next two weeks.

Ya'll don't have like a SNN.. (Swedish News Network)... Or television stations that focus on Swedish Athletes et al.. rather than our stations which appropriately focus on American Athletes and the top competitors.

Do you just rely on the Feeds from NBC?

I'm just curious?

L.Unplugged

Yes and possibly in a very bad way. Last nigt on the news instead of a Wisconsin girl who died giving birth to an infant who later died in a U of W dorm room being the first story, hell even before the story of an 11 yr old murder being solved and the guy who did it could have done several others being first in the news, it was an olympic story. A woman from Minnesota is to carry the American flag from the WTC into the Olympic stadium. Good story, but 1st? NO!! Murders and deaths are going on and THIS! OUTRAGE!!! BAH! Sorry about that. Just angry. Patriotism is fine and dandy, let's just keep it controlled ok?

-end transmission-

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.

well,I gotta say that I was positively surprised by opening ceremony it was very good I just have a few "complaints"
and that is mixing Sport and politics and this isn?t the first time it happens so this isn?t really pointed at the US,well of course it is this time but I think it was just as bad when Germany or the Soviet Union did it!
First you take the land from the Native americans but when all the worlds eyes are focused on USA you show them up like they are circus freaks or something...

And the flag from Ground Zero!
This confirmed all my fears
I think that if it had been done in the purpose of honoring the people who has been murdered I support it but this was clearly done to be used as a political statement.
The Olympics wasn?t the right forum for such things 50 years ago and it isn?t today either.
I think it was a very rotten thing to do,What do you think it must have felt like
to be a muslim and stand there and watch this......

The Olympics is about sports not politics!!

But all in all I think that the Games will be really enjoyable!

------------------
"Master of sexual innuendo"

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Originally posted by Lemonboy:

And the flag from Ground Zero!
This confirmed all my fears
I think that if it had been done in the purpose of honoring the people who has been murdered I support it but this was clearly done to be used as a political statement.
The Olympics wasn?t the right forum for such things 50 years ago and it isn?t today either.
I think it was a very rotten thing to do,What do you think it must have felt like
to be a muslim and stand there and watch this......

White Christians were not the only ones killed in the attacks.. Jews.. Blacks.. Asians.. and even MUSLIMS (Excluding the Terrorists) were killed...

Beside that point.. Which muslims are you referencing?.. The ones who are the radicals twisting every verse of the Koran into some sort of 'Kill Western Society' Sentiment?.. or the ones including some in this forum, who were just as hurt.. just as touched.. And Just as Enraged that someone in the name of their god could Kill 3000 people?

I think you need to specify which group of Muslims you were talking about...

Your statement does not apply to the Muslims of peace, Americans or not.. And if they felt that they were being included.. Well, then they can blame the terrorists for any of this terrible racial profiling that may occur...

However, If a Radical Muslim.. perhpas Bin Laden himself had to sit and watch us remember those Americans... Europeans.. Africans.. Asians.. and Australians.. who were killed, or whose families were touched by that moment.. Then I hope he choked on vomit.

L.Unplugged

Well I think it is as distasteful of U2 to scroll the names of dead people on their screens.
And Bonos USA-jacket is just beyond pathetic ass-kissing!

So now you know what I think!!
biggrin.gif

I usually don't reply with something as simple (and usually inexplicable) as U2 lyrics, but here it is:

Sean and Julia
Gareth, Ann, and Breda

Sometimes it helps to remember that individual lives were lost, not just a faceless number.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
I usually don't reply with something as simple (and usually inexplicable) as U2 lyrics, but here it is:

Sean and Julia
Gareth, Ann, and Breda

Sometimes it helps to remember that individual lives were lost, not just a faceless number.

You are quite a wordtwister!!
Maybe you should run for president!!!

Of course it isn?t a "faceless number"

It?s the neverending exploation of a tradgedy im against!!!

------------------

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

Well said Lemonite,
These people that are attacking the USA for showing patriotism at the games and honoring those lost on 9/11, a question for you. What do you think of U2s support for US patriotism at the Superbowl halftime show and their tribute to those who lost their lives on 9/11?

White Christians were not the only ones killed in the attacks.. Jews.. Blacks.. Asians.. and even MUSLIMS (Excluding the Terrorists) were killed...

Beside that point.. Which muslims are you referencing?.. The ones who are the radicals twisting every verse of the Koran into some sort of 'Kill Western Society' Sentiment?.. or the ones including some in this forum, who were just as hurt.. just as touched.. And Just as Enraged that someone in the name of their god could Kill 3000 people?

I think you need to specify which group of Muslims you were talking about...

Your statement does not apply to the Muslims of peace, Americans or not.. And if they felt that they were being included.. Well, then they can blame the terrorists for any of this terrible racial profiling that may occur...

However, If a Radical Muslim.. perhpas Bin Laden himself had to sit and watch us remember those Americans... Europeans.. Africans.. Asians.. and Australians.. who were killed, or whose families were touched by that moment.. Then I hope he choked on vomit.

L.Unplugged

I was of course referring to the group of muslims who are competing in the Olympics!

I know there were people of different ethnics killed in WTC and I in fact know that swedes were killed and that?s why I think it was disrespectful to all these people to have The US government making what could have been such a powerful tribute into a political show

------------------

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

Originally posted by STING2:
Well said Lemonite,
These people that are attacking the USA for showing patriotism at the games and honoring those lost on 9/11, a question for you. What do you think of U2s support for US patriotism at the Superbowl halftime show and their tribute to those who lost their lives on 9/11?

Well I think it is as distasteful of U2 to scroll the names of dead people on their screens.
And Bonos USA-jacket is just beyond pathetic ass-kissing!

So now you know what I think!!
biggrin.gif

------------------

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

OK and that?s what?s great with the civilized western world!!

Everyone is entitled to have an own oppinion!!

------------------

"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

Exploitation is wrong when there is something to gain. I guess the US is wrong as they are gaining national solidarity by exploiting it. They are regaining their sense of worth by exploiting it. U2 gained a nice big thankyou for their tribute.

oops, I just realised, this all cant be right. Something was gained.

Boo to the US and to U2 then.
rolleyes.gif

Ya'll don't have like a SNN.. (Swedish News Network)... Or television stations that focus on Swedish Athletes et al.. rather than our stations which appropriately focus on American Athletes and the top competitors.

Do you just rely on the Feeds from NBC?

I'm just curious?

Ofcourse we have the Swedish Television(SVT) there, but they are showing things that happen around the Olympics aswell. Interviewing organizers, American and foreign spectators and pretty much show what?s going on around the Olympics aswell.

Doesn?t the American TV-stations do that when there are Olympic games in other countries, or are they just focusing on the American athletes?

And about Bono?s jacket, it?s getting to be a little to much, I think we?ve got the message.

And please no reminders of how the Swedish skiers performed in the 30 km last night=)

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN

TylerDurden:

I agree completely, but I must infrom you...

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
Just keep Celine Dion away. Please.

She's Canadian! (Although I thik I saw Canadian Robbie Robertson performing in the Opening Ceremonies, as did British product Sting).

And Lemonboy:

I saw one of the organizers commenting on this and they mentioned that it WAS done "with the purpose of honoring the people who has [sic] been murdered..." so by that measure, you support it, right?

~U2Alabama

P.S. I am suprised though that none of you were offended by us having the 1980 U.S. Hockey team light the torch.

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 02-10-2002).]

Originally posted by U2Bama:
P.S. I am suprised though that none of you were offended by us having the 1980 U.S. Hockey team light the torch.

Understand that I have nothing against showing patriotism. And having a national hero lighting the fire is an Olympic tradition. It?s just when it becomes tasteless and too much "in your face"(read: Atlanta 96) I don?t like it.

So far I have to say I?ve been completely wrong with my prediction about the Olympics, and it?s been two great days.

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN

I don't really care, since I only watch the Summer Olympics. But it's sad to see how so many people seem to forget what the Olympics symbolize.

Originally posted by Vorsprung:
LA 1984: USA!!! USA!!!
Atlanta 1996: USA!! USA!!
SLC 2002: USA!!!!!!! USA!!!!!!!!

Thank god Americans usually don't win that many medals at the Winter Games

Sammy L. Jackson, "Jealous Mutha Fucka."

What is It Day 14?

We Are Second in the MEdal Count.. 26 Medals

9 Gold

9 Silver

8 Bronze

And I didn't even wait until Figure Skating was Finished.

I think you have just been spoon fed your pile of crap, teaspoon by teaspoon, that you tried to smear on us.

And anyways, I think there are better things to be thanking god about.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-21-2002).]

Originally posted by Vorsprung:

Thank god Americans usually don't win that many medals at the Winter Games

looks like that's changing
biggrin.gif

seriously though, what's wrong with pride in sports? unless of course you hate sports

I didnt think cheering on your team was wrong, and quite honestly I'm rooting for a lot of individuals, regardless of their nationality. but of course I want the US to win, just like I want the Flyers to win all the time; I live here, therefore it's my team.. and I hate when politics are dragged into sports..

Originally posted by BabyGrace:
looks like that's changing
biggrin.gif

seriously though, what's wrong with pride in sports? unless of course you hate sports

I didnt think cheering on your team was wrong, and quite honestly I'm rooting for a lot of individuals, regardless of their nationality. but of course I want the US to win, just like I want the Flyers to win all the time; I live here, therefore it's my team.. and I hate when politics are dragged into sports..

Some people say you shouldn't mix sport and politics or music and politics or whatever...

Originally posted by BabyGrace:

there's a differnce between pride, and immature mocking, everytime that "My House" ad bursts out. the intentions might be good, but the way they are expressed, leaves a lot to be desired. it's called good sportsmanship.
i think right now, the US 2nd in the medal count and tied for 2nd with germany in the gold medal count.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 02-21-2002).]

Look people - if we go by pr capita model than Croatia is the biggest winter olympics power. There are only 4 milion of us, and we allready have 3 gold medals and 1 silver.

So we are the best - US is nothing compared to the power of croatia - or better to say 1 croat beats few doesens of americans, germans, etc...

I hope that now you will respect me more, me and my greatness

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Originally posted by Marko:
Look people - if we go by pr capita model than Croatia is the biggest winter olympics power. There are only 4 milion of us, and we allready have 3 gold medals and 1 silver.

So we are the best - US is nothing compared to the power of croatia - or better to say 1 croat beats few doesens of americans, germans, etc...

I hope that now you will respect me more, me and my greatness

I'm afraid Croatia isn't best even if you count like that. Norway is.
Their population is 4.5 million and has so far taken 22 medals, 11 golds, 7 silver and 4 bronze. They are crazy and nothing comes close to that. LOL
When interviewed, our king was asked if he considered to create a union again with Norway. LOL

Oh...let Croatia have their moment!
smile.gif

I like it when smaller countries win...I was rooting for Belarus in the hockey games ...they did very well....that an I am finally getting a chance to learn to identify all the flags of the so called newer countries and their national anthems...
smile.gif

dream wanderer

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
that an I am finally getting a chance to learn to identify all the flags of the so called newer countries and their national anthems...
smile.gif

dream wanderer

Hahaha.. I love how Homer Simpson and his logic have influenced how we Modern Day Humans Think. Damn Beautiful.

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
yes, I'm sure bullet will join in the debate on the legitimacy of China winning the 2008 games
smile.gif

well, after the uproar over the americans getting it, they had to appease the chinese somehow
wink.gif

Except I don't watch the Simpsons and have no idea what you are referring to...let me in on the joke!!
smile.gif

dream wanderer

Back
Top Bottom