Will George W. Bush put the kibosh on elections in the United States next year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]NEW YORK--He has canceled elections in Iraq (news - web sites). He will probably cancel them in Afghanistan (news - web sites). Will George W. Bush put the kibosh on elections in the United States next year?

Frightened by Bush's rapidly accruing personal power and the Democrats' inability and/or unwillingness to stand up to him, panicked lefties worry that he might use the "war on terrorism" as an excuse to declare a state of emergency, suspend civil liberties and jail political opponents. [/Q]

OK, I think this is a bunch of :censored:. However, the more I think about it, if there were a terrorist of 9/11 proportions in the second half of 2004, is it possible the elections may be cancelled?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=127&ncid=127&e=1&u=/030709/7/4mj9k.html

terrorists have done him a lot of favours in a sense. this would be just one more.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I'd like to hope that that would never happen in our democracy.

I would too, but I have no doubt that the thought hasn't crossed his mind. But I believe all hell would break loose if he even dared.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I have no doubt that the thought hasn't crossed his mind.

I also have no doubt that the thought hasn't crossed his mind.

I do however, have plennty of doubts that the thought has crossed his minds.

80sU2isBest said:

, have plennty of doubts that the thought has crossed his minds.

Are you saying he has multiple personalities?

:lol:

Seriously, my concern is this, not that the White House has a plan to do this, but that if there is a legitiamte attack during the second half of next year, would it put our elections in jeopardy? I do not subscribe to the theory that this administration would entertain doing it because of the situation we are in now.

I don't think the Administration would try to can the election. That's just too far-fetched. They'd milk an attack for all it's worth but there's no way they'd try to call off the election. All hell would break loose.

I know more than one right-wing conservative person that was convinced that Bill Clinton would declare marshall law before the 2000 electiions because he was incapable of giving up power.

I don't know what materials or programs they listened to that spread this whacky bull shit.

It does not surprise me that there are people on the left that spread this type of nonsense, also.

I don't see it happening.

GWB has already won one "questionable" election, depending on whom you talk to. Cancelling a second ont would be too much.

sulawesigirl4 said:
80s, you just totally confused me. :huh: who's on first, what's on second? lol.

I can see how you were confused...I sometimes confuse myself.

I'll clear it up now:

BonoVox SupaStar meant to say that he had no doubt that the idea of calling off elections had crossed Bush's mind, but he actually said that he had no doubt that the idea DIDN'T cross Bush's mind, so I was just agreeing with him; I also had no doubt that the idea didn't cross Bush's mind.

The plural "Minds" was just a plain old fashioned typo.

I think subliminally 80's thinks the president has multiple personalities.

Dreadsox said:
I think subliminally 80's thinks the president has multiple personalities.

Nope, but I've sometimes thought that about you, Dreadsox:wink:

But then again, that probably just means you're accomplishing your forum goals...

I don't think Bush would go so far as to call off an election even if we were engaged in more combat, but if we were I think it would probably increase his chances of winning the election (rally around the flag, we have to support our president in time of war...ect)

80sU2isBest said:

Nope, but I've sometimes thought that about you, Dreadsox:wink:

But then again, that probably just means you're accomplishing your forum goals...

:sexywink:

BonoVox SupaStar meant to say that he had no doubt that the idea of calling off elections had crossed Bush's mind, but he actually said that he had no doubt that the idea DIDN'T cross Bush's mind, so I was just agreeing with him; I also had no doubt that the idea didn't cross Bush's mind.

Oh thanks for pointing that out. And by the way I wasn't being completely serious about Bush trying to find a way to go through with it. But a man who's seemed to act out of desperation in the past, one who's credibility seems to be slipping, and one who bullies around to get his way probably at least thought about it once as a means for him to keep his power. Just my opinion.

Dreadsox said:
[Q]NEW YORK--He has canceled elections in Iraq (news - web sites). He will probably cancel them in Afghanistan (news - web sites). Will George W. Bush put the kibosh on elections in the United States next year?

Frightened by Bush's rapidly accruing personal power and the Democrats' inability and/or unwillingness to stand up to him, panicked lefties worry that he might use the "war on terrorism" as an excuse to declare a state of emergency, suspend civil liberties and jail political opponents. [/Q]

OK, I think this is a bunch of :censored:. However, the more I think about it, if there were a terrorist of 9/11 proportions in the second half of 2004, is it possible the elections may be cancelled?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=127&ncid=127&e=1&u=/030709/7/4mj9k.html

Does the President have that power (either Constitutionally or practically)?

Re: Re: Will George W. Bush put the kibosh on elections in the United States next year?

speedracer said:

Does the President have that power (either Constitutionally or practically)?

yes, Lincoln considered it during the Civil War.

Wy should he call off the elections in the US?
In Iraq and Afghanistan the propaganda of his spindoctors don't work - they have to reschedule the elections until they get the people they want in the offices.

But of course they know exactly how to talk to the US citizens - we've seen these hypes before the start of the Iraq war, i guess with all the money they have it should be easy to sell the product "Bush" in the media.

Klaus

I do not imagine it happening, but I also imagine that Republicans would probably not gripe about it, if it actually happened.

(Majority) whipped into shape.

Melon

They can't CANCEL elections. The NYC mayor primary was held on 9/11. Once the attacks occured, the results were thrown out, the primary rescheduled and the main election went on in November as usual with the swearing in as usual. Michael Bloomberg became mayor less than four months after 9/11 and if anything, it was just another sign that the terrorists didn't win, that we could still have a peaceful transition of power.

You can postpone all you want, and there may be a smaller cushion between old and new administrations, but on Jan. 20, 2005 a president will be sworn in.

sharky said:

You can postpone all you want, and there may be a smaller cushion between old and new administrations, but on Jan. 20, 2005 a president will be sworn in.

Hold on a second there jerky...

Last edited:
paxetaurora said:

sharky's original post said "on Jan. 20, 2005 a new president will be sworn in." At least that's what I thought. I swear that's what I saw when I quoted that post. It seems to have magically changed.

Then again, I could just be hallucinating.

Last edited:
official.jpg

:dance:

In honor of an old friend.....:angel:

paxetaurora said:
Well, sharky didn't edit her post, so you must be hallucinating.

Yeah, well just come a little bit closer and say that, you lousy pink elephant.

Back
Top Bottom