Will Europe See The Next Terrorist Attack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Bin Laden offered Europe a truce. Europe rejects the truce. Is a terrorist attack the next card played?

Purported Bin Laden 'Truce' Is Rejected

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - A man identifying himself as Osama bin Laden offered a "truce" to European countries that do not attack Muslims, saying it would begin when their soldiers leave Islamic nations, according to a recording broadcast Thursday on Arab satellite networks.

Britain, Germany, Italy and Spain quickly spurned what appeared to be an attempt to drive a wedge between Europe and America.

The tape, which ran in full at more than seven minutes, also vowed revenge against America for the Israeli assassination of Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin and denounced the United States as using the Iraq war for corporate profiteering.

"I announce a truce with the European countries that do not attack Muslim countries," the taped message said as the stations showed an old, still picture of al-Qaida leader.

It's time leaders of Islamic countries work to dispell the idea that their countries are for Muslims only.

heard about that this morning
it will be interesting to see what the reaction here will be

probably will be as devided as it has been since talk about invading Iraq began though

I saw this on my ISP's news today. The Europeans aren't accepting it on the whole, I don't think they want to cut deals with terrorists. Note that two of the countries that rejected it, Spain and Germany currently have governments that do not agree with all of the U.S. policies.

in italy the situation is going every time harder, they kidnapped 4 persons in iraq and 1 has already been killed, and the italian intelligence discovered that there were plans to attack milan and rome...it's just a fucking matter of time

So...we did pretty much establish that it was Bin Laden who did this tape? I think Europe is relatively safe if they stay on their guard. I've read of a bunch of thwarthed attacks in London. I'm tending to think "soft targets" in Iraq, and places like Bali, Turkey, Saudi, which are (or were, anyway) easier to strike are the most in danger.

Of course there will be another attack, do you think taking the fight to the enemy is a western concept? Europe is filled with sleeping cells (estimated around 200 in The Netherlands alone) just waiting for the right occasion or political climate.

Sherry Darling said:
I think Europe is relatively safe if they stay on their guard.

what do you mean with stay on guard, as long as european countries remain with bases in iraq there are infinite and serious risks, how can i be calm standing with the fear that when i'm on a train, on a bus or in the centre of the city someone may blow me up? there were 3 bombings in madrid, how can you say that europe is relatively safe while bin laden is menacing over and over again? no one is safe, there are other parts of the world under high danger, but don't say that europe is relatively safe, what does it mean, it has no sense

babyman said:
Sherry Darling said:
I think Europe is relatively safe if they stay on their guard.

what do you mean with stay on guard, as long as european countries remain with bases in iraq there are infinite and serious risks, how can i be calm standing with the fear that when i'm on a train, on a bus or in the centre of the city someone may blow me up? there were 3 bombings in madrid, how can you say that europe is relatively safe while bin laden is menacing over and over again? no one is safe, there are other parts of the world under high danger, but don't say that europe is relatively safe, what does it mean, it has no sense

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking me (if anything)? My relatively safe I mean, keep the intel going, as a citizen demand your gov't be proactive, etc etc.
As for Spain being in Iraq, I thought Spain (along with Germany, France, and England) had been pretty much known to be targets before? If your populace wants the troops out, by all means, that's democracy. But I'd be cautious about assuming that will reduce any and all risk. That's about all a private citizen can do, I'd imagine. I've been thinking about what else i can do since 9/11. Your post conveys fear and anger, and I don't blame you considering you nation's recent grief. I still feel a lot of grief and fear and anger. But, and I've 'said the same to my fellow Americans, try not to live in fear. Then they win. Isn't there a saying about the best revenge being a life well lived?

Sherry Darling said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking me (if anything)? My relatively safe I mean, keep the intel going, as a citizen demand your gov't be proactive, etc etc.
As for Spain being in Iraq, I thought Spain (along with Germany, France, and England) had been pretty much known to be targets before? If your populace wants the troops out, by all means, that's democracy. But I'd be cautious about assuming that will reduce any and all risk. That's about all a private citizen can do, I'd imagine. I've been thinking about what else i can do since 9/11. Your post conveys fear and anger, and I don't blame you considering you nation's recent grief. I still feel a lot of grief and fear and anger. But, and I've 'said the same to my fellow Americans, try not to live in fear. Then they win. Isn't there a saying about the best revenge being a life well lived?

yeah sherry, it's about fear, it's about anger...but how can you live or feel in another way...? you say that's the way how terrorism wins, i'm agree...but we can be winners only keeping our lives, our brother's lives, our sister's lives, our children's lives, our friends lives....the bitter truth is that we can't do anything against terrorism, even if bin laden would be catched, do you really believe that terrorism would be defeated? there are thousands of networks, they got a neverending organization, they got kamikazes everywhere in the world, people who don't give a f... for their lives, (imagine for ours)...they're ready to die everyday, they don't care to die...but i care about my life, like every normal and honest person cares for his.....9/11 and all the other coward act of terrorism were bloodbaths....i don't want any other, it's too much...."the best revenge is a life well lived", you're saying it, sherry

Back
Top Bottom