Why we need these gay threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
I live in the city with the largest gay and lesbian population per capita of any city in the US except for San Francisco. And our headline today reads:

Man beaten in gay bashing clings to life

The 21-year-old Santa Fe man who police say was savagely beaten in a gay-bashing incident last weekend is clinging to life in critical condition, a family spokeswoman said Wednesday.

“We’re not out of the woods yet,” Rachel Rosen said. “The doctors say he will be getting worse before he gets better.”

At least four young Santa Fe men beat James Maestas early Sunday morning in a Cerrillos Road motel parking lot, police said.

An Albuquerque man with Maestas suffered minor injuries during the assault, in which police say the attackers repeatedly called the two men “faggots.”

Maestas apparently was kicked so hard the food in his stomach came up his throat and went into his lungs, Rosen said. Stomach acid badly burned his lungs, she said, and he is breathing with the help of a respirator.

He has been running a fever and must be monitored closely, because the risk of infection is high, Rosen said.

Maestas’ face and mouth are bruised and swollen, she said. “They haven’t even been able to see if he has all his lower teeth because his lower lip is so mangled.”

While a brain scan didn’t reveal any damage, she said, it’s too early to tell for sure. Maestas has not regained consciousness, and doctors are keeping him sedated, she said.

Doctors don’t know whether he will suffer permanent damage from the attack if he pulls through, Rosen said.

Rosen, who has known Maestas’ mother for 10 years, said the Maestas family is “traumatized” by the situation, but is a supportive, loving group of people.

“They are a wonderful family ,” she said.

Gabriel Maturin, 20, Isaia Medina, 19, and David Trinidad , 17, have been charged in connection with the beating, and police say three other men also were present during the violence.

District Attorney Henry Valdez said Wednesday that the case will be presented soon to a grand jury, which might decide to charge one or more of the men whom police didn’t arrest.

The prosecutor has said longer sentences could be imposed for convictions in the case under a 2003 state law if a jury finds a hate crime occurred.

Meanwhile, a Santa Fe group is planning a candlelight vigil for Maestas at 6 p.m. Saturday on the Plaza.

“The purpose is to show community support against hate crimes,” said Ross Randall , a board member of Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays of Santa Fe.

Rosen, who chairs a group called Equality New Mexico, said she is setting up a fund to help pay some of Maestas’ medical bills.

She said donations to the “Love Conquers Hate Fund” can be sent to P.O. Box 25683, Albuquerque, NM 87125.

Rosen said she wouldn’t have called Santa Fe a dangerous place for gay people if she had been asked her opinion last Saturday. Now, she thinks differently.

“Santa Fe is known to be a gay-friendly town nationally,” she said. “If it can happen in Santa Fe, it can happen anywhere , and does.”

this happens all the time, and like rape, it often goes unreported.

i've said it before, i'll say it again: homophobia kills.

Some people seem to think this is perfectly decent, logical behavior these days. They are getting enough encouragement.

brains.jpg

kind of says it all

Irvine511 said:
this happens all the time, and like rape, it often goes unreported.

i've said it before, i'll say it again: homophobia kills.

I just don't recall it ever happening here--or at least reported as the headline on the front page. There is hardly a safer place on the planet for gays and lesbians than this town--gay couples walk down the street openly affectionate--and yet this hideous thing has happened. What's so disturbing is that it was teenagers who did it. Well I guess it doesn't matter who it was but in some way it seems worse to me because I expect this younger generation to be cooler about gays than mine was.

joyfulgirl said:

Well I guess it doesn't matter who it was but in some way it seems worse to me because I expect this younger generation to be cooler about gays than mine was.

I think we have a whole new crop of hatemongers that are influencing our children.

I mean just look in here, you have these very young people saying things like "I'm glad we made our voice heard at the polls", "We told America this was about morals", etc.

It's sickening.

You're right BVS...

And the plot thickens, from the Albuquerque Journal:

One of the suspects, David Trinidad, 17, already is on probation for raping a 4 1/2-year-old boy, according to Assistant District Attorney Heidi Pircher.

One of the suspects, David Trinidad, 17, already is on probation for raping a 4 1/2-year-old boy, according to Assistant District Attorney Heidi Pircher

This shows that the "suspect" had little consideration for anybody, gay or straight. :down:

Doozer61 said:
disgusting. that is the first word that came to mind.

where did all this fucking hate come from?

guilt free hate is tolerated and encouraged

So called leaders in the mainstream?
play a part in this

"HATE the sin"

:sad:

I belong to the Southern Poverty Law Center. They track hate groups and unfortunately the groups are targeting teenagers mainly through internet sites using music and group attraction. It is a serious growing problem. They have great resources for schools to use to help teach tolerance at every grade level. I was able to get my sons elementary school to pick up on some of the resources and am working on the Jr high.

joyfulgirl said:
You're right BVS...

And the plot thickens, from the Albuquerque Journal:

One of the suspects, David Trinidad, 17, already is on probation for raping a 4 1/2-year-old boy, according to Assistant District Attorney Heidi Pircher.

This doesn't surprise me at all. As has been proven time and time and time again, those who seem to hate homosexuality the most are indeed homosexual (or bisexual) and have tremendous difficulties coming to terms with it.

As for those youngsters who felt their vote in the polls reflects "morality" - I can't recall a time when hate crimes and open prejudices were ever moral. Glad to see intelligence hasn't washed over this country yet... :rolleyes:

doctorwho said:
[/i]

This doesn't surprise me at all. As has been proven time and time and time again, those who seem to hate homosexuality the most are indeed homosexual (or bisexual) and have tremendous difficulties coming to terms with it.

Well, a man who rapes a 4 year old boy is a pedophile, not gay. But it's quite possible that this guy who raped the 4 year old boy has confused pedophilia with homosexuality and fearing that he may be gay, apparently a fate worse than being a pedophile in his eyes, he may feel the need to beat up gays to disguise his own fears and self-hatred. So yes, I agree with you there and that's what I was hinting at.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
As for those youngsters who felt their vote in the polls reflects "morality" - I can't recall a time when hate crimes and open prejudices were ever moral.

Thank you. I had to laugh at the "morality" vote for the election...nobody in this country is perfect, everybody has done something that somebody would consider immoral at some point and time, so for them to sit there and base their vote on morality amuses me.

Anywho...geez, raping a 4 1/2 year old boy...:tsk:. Unbelievable.

Angela

wow, thats terrible.
you know, Im thinking that its a good example of just how we humans operate. were scared of what isnt like us. I wonder if the people who did this were specifically scared, or grossed out by the guy being gay, or just unlike them.
:shrug: I'll never understand.
I remember when i was walking down the hallway in high school with my friend donte'. He was gay and everybody knew it. Some guys were sitting on the floor when we walked by and they yelled "faggot" at him. He just ignored it. Like it just flew through him. I didnt take it so well though. The guys proceeded to spit at Donte' and I snapped. I yelled at the guys, who happened to be other friends of mine, and I kicked one of them in the head :reject:
Doing that I descended to their level while Donte' was the only good one in the whole scenario :rolleyes:

joyfulgirl said:

Well, a man who rapes a 4 year old boy is a pedophile, not gay.

thank you.

pedophilia is to homosexuality as rape is to heterosexuality.

and vice versa.

it drove me a little bananas when my friend thought that Michael Jackson was probably guilty because of all the evidence and that, "you know, no offense, but i do think he's gay."

as if one has something to do with the other.

the reason why it appears as if so many pedophiles are men preying on boys has more to do with the fact that older men are able to be alone with young boys -- think boy scouts, or alter boys -- than they are with young girls.

and the majority of vicitms of pedophilia are actually little girls who are usually molested by an older male relative.

sorry -- as someone who's worked with kids for years, nothing makes me crazier than these assumptions.

Last edited:
For anyone who is still confused about the issue, a pedophile is an adult who is sexually attracted to children and has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality at all.

:up: to joyfulgirl

Pedophilia has nothing to do with sexuality. We don't condemn heterosexuals because some men have raped or molested young girls, do we?

I hope these kids (the one who committed this awful crime) get some therapy and a nice long sentence to help them think about what they did.

So glad that there are people out there who know that rape and pedophilia aren't strictly associated with homosexuality-I've actually been in debates with people where they had the nerve to connect those things together, and it drives me up the wall every time, so it's really refreshing to know that some people out there don't make that connection.

u2bonogirl said:
wow, thats terrible.
you know, Im thinking that its a good example of just how we humans operate. were scared of what isnt like us.

It is definitely an example of how humans can be. And it's a real shame, too, because obviously not everything in this world that is different is automatically going to be harmful. I personally only fear that which could harm me or my loved ones...and homosexuals don't fit that qualification. I remember the first time I really ever heard about the concept of homosexuality...I don't even recall pausing for a second before accepting it. I just heard about it, went, "Oh. Okay." and went on with my life. Shame some people decide to go the route these guys did.

Originally posted by u2bonogirl
I wonder if the people who did this were specifically scared, or grossed out by the guy being gay, or just unlike them.
:shrug: I'll never understand.

Who knows? I'll never understand, either...I'll just never understand how just being different in terms of looks or orientation or whatever is cause for being attacked, or in some cases, killed. It's scary to think that people find the kind of behavior these guys exhibited to be okay.

I remember when i was walking down the hallway in high school with my friend donte'. He was gay and everybody knew it. Some guys were sitting on the floor when we walked by and they yelled "faggot" at him. He just ignored it. Like it just flew through him. I didnt take it so well though. The guys proceeded to spit at Donte' and I snapped. I yelled at the guys, who happened to be other friends of mine, and I kicked one of them in the head :reject:

Wow...

What happened after that?

Doing that I descended to their level while Donte' was the only good one in the whole scenario :rolleyes:

Something tells me he's probably had experiences like that before somewhere, or knew people who had, or something, and perhaps he just became immune to the guys' reaction. I'm amazed he managed to just ignore it...I honestly can't say that if I were him, or if I were you and that happened to my friend, that I wouldn't have done something similar to what you did. I don't like saying that, because, as you pointed out, it's good to be the better person in that kind of a situation, and fighting sure as heck doesn't solve anything, but still...

Angela

Back
Top Bottom