Why is talking about sex and AIDS so taboo!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not...to me anyway...I talk to my kids about it all the time...

Was just talking to a client about this before...when we were teenagers all we had to worry about was gettin pregnant...now it's your life.

I am not saying that with everyone it's taboo but there are still people that dont want to talk about it. I dont understand why in some cultures and religions people dont talk about the disease and sex.

I've talked to our 4 kids about sex and STD's as soon as they hit middle school - why? because that's when all their friends start talking about it...and I did not use clinical terms..I was honest, we discussed condoms, accountability and responsibility.

The boys still come to me with ??'s... a Dad can see when something is on their mind or when they're inquisitive..I've never held back; we believe in openness and honesty with our children.

Something must've worked - I've got as 28 yr. old, 25 yr. old and near 19 yr. old...no grandbabies yet...

:wave:

Mr. BAW said:

Something must've worked - I've got as 28 yr. old, 25 yr. old and near 19 yr. old...no grandbabies yet...

God Bless ya....how did ya ever survive the teenage years? 'Cause thats what Im goin through right now...just so different from when I was their age....

Mr. BAW said:
I've talked to our 4 kids about sex and STD's as soon as they hit middle school - why? because that's when all their friends start talking about it...and I did not use clinical terms..I was honest, we discussed condoms, accountability and responsibility.

The boys still come to me with ??'s... a Dad can see when something is on their mind or when they're inquisitive..I've never held back; we believe in openness and honesty with our children.

I think that its great that you did that rick, I really do bc my parents were the same way.

Many of my friends, well I should say old friends, didnt know what AIDS was or how you got it or the ins and out of sex until they talked to me about it. Now I am in no way saying I know everything but I do know a lot bc my sisters and my mom were always talking about AIDS and Sex very openly and sort of passed on what I overheard them talking about.

Oh the reason why I used "old friends" is bc a few of my friends tried to talk to their parents after they talked to me bc I told them they should be open with their parents and ask them questions bc I knew so little, well my friends were told not to have contact with me anymore when they started asking their parents.

I would say fear too. Unfortunately there are people who are afraid to be realistic about even life-threatening situations because they involve old social taboos. They are still more afraid of breaking some obsolete rules than they are of something that might cost them their lives, and that's really sad and frustrating.

I come from a medical family, so there were really no tabboos- I was given the option to take the pill on my sixteenth birthday. But that was before AIDS. :(
There will always be people who think that hiding the truth is protecting a loved one, when the opposite is true today.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I would say probably fear and denial

In 2003 many people still don't want to face the reality of the risks involved

:yes: and that scares the heck out of me. Makes me wonder what it will be like for my kids when I have them.

Back
Top Bottom