Why Is Gay Marriage Wrong? - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #321
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by martha


Um. That's what's happening right now.
In America yes, in this thread, no.

<>
__________________

diamond is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,892
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


Meaning he talks to you, but you ignore him?
:chuckle:
__________________

maycocksean is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #323
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
You missed the point of the horse post by a mile, but I digress and will address that on another day.

I didn't decide what the definition of marriage was, ppl did 6000 years ago and it's been so thru out recorded history, so get over it.

You want to change it, you are in the minority and if you want to change the meaning of the word, this can occur thru a orderly legal process. That's how we do things in America.

I do think the Gay culture would move forward more quickly if it wasn't an all or nothing issue that you're proposing here. Cultures evolve incrementally. If it's meant to be it will happen in due time-not my schreeching and using profanity.
You know, diamond, although I do not agree with what you are saying here, if you would discuss calmly like this in all of your threads in FYM (as this isn't exactly a humorous place), I could, at least, respect what you have to say.

So take this as my advice to you.
melon is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #324
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
So, I ordered this book via Amazon.

I have a vast collection of books both of liberal thought and consevative thought.

My question to you is would you read a book I think could be enlightening to you?

Would you be openminded and free and thinking enough to read a book that I think could benefit you?

I will be happy to correspond via PM if you wish re this matter.

Let me know.
Enjoy the book. One thing I hope is that you don't treat the book like the "gospel truth," and use it as a springboard for future reading in classical Western philosophy.

A couple of things I'd like to mention about Bloom. He was a neocon, inasmuch as he was one of Leo Strauss' students, but he stated once that he didn't necessarily consider himself to be a conservative, in the modern Republican sense. Nonetheless, consistently Straussian views, if one is familiar with them, is prevalent throughout the book.

Another thing that's interesting is that it was posthumously revealed that Bloom was gay, as noted by his old friend, Saul Bellow (who wrote the preface to Bloom's book you're about to read, and wrote extensively about Bloom and his private life in last novel, Ravelstein).

Overall, though, both Strauss and Bloom were academics, above all, and, like any philosophy teacher, they would not want one to merely absorb this material and just regurgitate it. That's what one would expect from an acolyte of Ayn Rand (whose beliefs Bloom dismisses as "pseudo-philosophy"). Instead, I believe the challenge is to take this knowledge, be free to critically analyze it as one wishes, and then be free to rip it to pieces--as long as one has the right argument and research to back it up.

Nonetheless, I think this is a very interesting wing of 20th century political philosophy that is both overlooked (because it is conservative, rather than liberal) and misunderstood (in light of the neoconservative "War on Terror" and its various missteps). So, as I said in the beginning, enjoy the book.

Feel free to share the book you'd like me to read. I can't promise that I'll have time to read it right away, if only because I'm in a terribly hectic time in my life right now, and I don't have time to read much of anything at the moment!
melon is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #325
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


Enjoy the book. One thing I hope is that you don't treat the book like the "gospel truth," and use it as a springboard for future reading in classical Western philosophy.

A couple of things I'd like to mention about Bloom. He was a neocon, .

Another thing that's interesting is that it was posthumously revealed that Bloom was gay,

So, as I said in the beginning, enjoy the book.

Feel free to share the book you'd like me to read.
Melon-

It should arrive in the next 5-10 days via Amazon. I find it mildly amusing that this book cost me a penny but Jonathan Livingston Seagull ran me a 1.49 on Amazon.

I don't take anything as Gospel written by mortal men these days, I've lived long enough to experience the disappointment in doing so; I will take it as a view point written by an intelligent gentleman.

The term "Neocon" to me as a conservative rubs me uncomfortablely by the structure of the word itself, it conjures up other neo words and movements such as neo Nazis etc.

I think Gay conservatives make the best conservatives because their organic and possibly learned orientation is secondary to their polictical thought processes, in other words they think outside of the box.

I will let you know what I think of the book later, reading good books is my night cap before dozng off-as I don't consume alcohol.

I'll PM you later re the other book.

Cheers-

<>
diamond is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #326
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


You know, diamond, although I do not agree with what you are saying here, if you would discuss calmly like this in all of your threads in FYM (as this isn't exactly a humorous place), I could, at least, respect what you have to say.

So take this as my advice to you.
Advice taken, however for some of us if we don't inject humor into a heated discussion our heads are liable to explode, I'm merely trying to prevent that.



<>
diamond is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #327
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

I think Gay conservatives make the best conservatives because their organic and possibly learned orientation is secondary to their polictical thought processes, in other words they think outside of the box.


when did you learn to be straight?
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
It just occurred to me. Mr. Civil Rights is really advocating separate but equal. So much for any civil rights arguments from here on out.
There was another thread about this several weeks ago, and though I hesitate to poke my head into any thread where horses and polygamy occupy the same space, I am curious if anyone can answer the question of whether marriage itself is a civil right.

Because if we are going to give marriage civil right status, then, legally speaking, there are a host of alternative lifestyles that might clamor for the same opportunity....as this thread has proven.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #329
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




when did you learn to be straight?
i forget but found is was far less complicated this way.



<>
diamond is offline  
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #330
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk




Good luck to your daughter!
On a side note she did very well.
She's one of the fastest 9th grade girls in the city of Mesa, Az.
She also scored 2nd in High Jump.
This was a city track meet with 10 Jr High Schools participating.

She's being courted now by the High School track coach next door from her Jr High to run Varsity Track. She juggles track and field, club soccer, school soccer, violin a 4.0 GPA and being my daughter, all at the same time-dont know how the kid does it.





Out of curiousity I googled her first and last name plus the word track, and she was on top of the Google.Com-lead entry.

Oh dear.

<>
diamond is offline  
Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #331
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

Because if we are going to give marriage civil right status, then, legally speaking, there are a host of alternative lifestyles that might clamor for the same opportunity....as this thread has proven.


how is being gay an alternative "lifestyle"? or how is it comparable to what might be deemed alternative "lifestyles"?

but, regardless, the above is, i think, a misformulation. it's not that marriage is a civil right, it's that there are 1049 rights that are conferred when one gets married, and the institution itself is discriminatory towards gays in the way that it was once discriminatory towards interracial couples. thus, there are certain rights that no gay person can have access to, unless they were to marry a person of the opposite sex -- which, obviously, happens -- and it seems that such a relationship could be deemed fraudulent.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 04-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


it's not that marriage is a civil right
but we're sure treating it like it is, with the shouts about separate but equal -- which is a misnomer, since separate but equal referred to access. If we're talking about access to those fabled 1049 benefits, that's fine -- but that's a different conversation than making marriage a fundamental civil right.

And it's probably wise to talk about those 1049 tax benefits. As I've said before, it's incorrect to argue that marriage brings with it tax benefits, since married people automatically pay higher taxes due to a different tax bracket. As I've said time and again, tax benefits really kick in with acquisition of property -- which can happen whether you're single or married, gay or straight. And in any case, when we're talking about tax issues, we're talking about benefits, not rights.

There are other legitimate issues about hospital visitations between partners, as well as estate taxes and leaving property to next of kin, but many of these issues are resolved by a good will -- which both straight and gay people should have regardless, since battles over estate issues rage as much in families where people are straight as they can in families where people are gay. (The Anna Nicole Smith or Britney Spears debacles, anyone?)

And as near as I could tell, of the 4 benefits that you posted in another thread (as I recall, two had to do with visitation rights and estate issues -- pardon if I'm misremembering), two were matters for private institutions as opposed to government-sponsored discrimination -- and more and more corporations are adding "sexual orientation" to their non-discrimination policies, which is a good thing. People shouldn't be fired from their job because of their sexual orientation.

So again, can marriage legitimately be ruled a civil right?
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #333
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:40 PM
The U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled that it is; that was part of their reasoning in Loving v. Virginia, the case which affirmed the legality of interracial marriage.
Quote:
The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men. Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.
And perhaps relevant, a personal statement from the surviving plaintiff, Mildred Loving, prepared for a press conference commemorating the 40th anniversary of the decision (June 12, 2007):
Quote:
My generation was bitterly divided over something that should have been so clear and right. The majority believed that what the judge said, that it was God's plan to keep people apart, and that government should discriminate against people in love. But I have lived long enough now to see big changes. The older generation's fears and prejudices have given way, and today's young people realize that if someone loves someone they have a right to marry.

Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don't think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the "wrong kind of person" for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people’s civil rights.

I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That's what Loving, and loving, are all about.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #334
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 03:40 PM
martha is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #335
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977


but we're sure treating it like it is, with the shouts about separate but equal -- which is a misnomer, since separate but equal referred to access. If we're talking about access to those fabled 1049 benefits, that's fine -- but that's a different conversation than making marriage a fundamental civil right.

And it's probably wise to talk about those 1049 tax benefits. As I've said before, it's incorrect to argue that marriage brings with it tax benefits, since married people automatically pay higher taxes due to a different tax bracket. As I've said time and again, tax benefits really kick in with acquisition of property -- which can happen whether you're single or married, gay or straight. And in any case, when we're talking about tax issues, we're talking about benefits, not rights.

There are other legitimate issues about hospital visitations between partners, as well as estate taxes and leaving property to next of kin, but many of these issues are resolved by a good will -- which both straight and gay people should have regardless, since battles over estate issues rage as much in families where people are straight as they can in families where people are gay. (The Anna Nicole Smith or Britney Spears debacles, anyone?)

And as near as I could tell, of the 4 benefits that you posted in another thread (as I recall, two had to do with visitation rights and estate issues -- pardon if I'm misremembering), two were matters for private institutions as opposed to government-sponsored discrimination -- and more and more corporations are adding "sexual orientation" to their non-discrimination policies, which is a good thing. People shouldn't be fired from their job because of their sexual orientation.

So again, can marriage legitimately be ruled a civil right?
This kind of thinking, "the laws are already there" kind of thinking, is used almost exclusively to support the denial of the rights in question non-members of the group. Rarely is it used to extend rights to a group.
martha is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #336
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
The U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled that it is; that was part of their reasoning in Loving v. Virginia, the case which affirmed the legality of interracial marriage.
Yes, I've read various commentators believing that Loving applies to same-sex couples. This is problematic, given other rulings of SCOTUS. Reynolds v. United States, for example, was a ruling that emerged out of opposition to state laws on bigamy (the law was upheld), and in 2006 the UT State Supreme Court ruled the state ban on polygamy constitutional. (It was appealed to the SCOTUS, who sent it back to the state.) So while it seems that Loving applies to male/female marriages, there's no legal ruling yet that indicates that it applies to same-sex ones -- perhaps because it opens the door to other definitions of marriage.

Mildred Loving may wish that her ruling applied to same-sex marriages, but Norma McCorvey wishes that Roe v. Wade would be repealed, so I'm not sure what to say about that.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #337
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


This kind of thinking, "the laws are already there" kind of thinking, is used almost exclusively to support the denial of the rights in question non-members of the group. Rarely is it used to extend rights to a group.
I'm not sure what rights we're talking about. The fundamental issue seems to be about benefits, but the benefits seem already to be there, which kind of moots the "rights" argument. (Which seems kind of thin on the ground.)
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #338
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
The fundamental issue seems to be about benefits, but the benefits seem already to be there,
You did it again.
martha is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #339
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
Yes, I've read various commentators believing that Loving applies to same-sex couples. This is problematic, given other rulings of SCOTUS, which hasn't yet granted that it is a civil right that anyone can marry anyone they choose. Reynolds v. United States, for example, was a ruling that emerged out of opposition to state laws on bigamy (the law was upheld), and in 2006 the UT State Supreme Court ruled the state ban on polygamy constitutional. (It was appealed to the SCOTUS, who sent it back to the state.) So while it seems that Loving applies to male/female marriages, there's no legal ruling yet that indicates that it applies to same-sex ones -- perhaps because it opens the door to other questions.
Reynolds v. United States was about whether a religious belief defense justifies breaking the law of the land, not about whether it's "a civil right that anyone can marry anyone they choose." No one is going to take an argument that broad to the Supreme Court. And Utah v. Holm, which I assume is the other case you're referring to, dealt with the related argument of whether it violates freedom of religion to criminalize bigamy (though personally, I'm inclined to agree with the dissenting justices in that case, who protested that the defendant hadn't attempted to secure legal recognition for any 'marriages' beyond his first to begin with, and that whether the relevant law applied to such situations was doubtful).

If another SCOTUS case concerning polygamy should arise in the future, using the line of argument that a person should be allowed to take multiple legally recognized spouses (a case you wouldn't need legalized gay marriage to make--it could just as easily involve plural heterosexual marriages only), then I think most likely the flashpoint issue there would be meaningful consent, not the nature of the parties to polygamous marriages as such.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,725
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

So again, can marriage legitimately be ruled a civil right?
Quote:
"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man"
__________________

Vincent Vega is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×