why i am so fucking angry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
seriously, i mean this as a (somewhat self-absorbed) mea culpa.

the more i learn about the Katrina disaster, the more enraged i become. please read the following account as it has become the ground zero of the rage i feel as both an American and as a human being for the failures that created so much unnecessary suffering:

Denise said she thought she was in hell. they were there for 2 days, with no water, no food. no shelter. Denise, her mother (63 years old), her niece (21 years old), and 2-year-old grandniece. when they arrived, there were already thousands of people there. they were told that buses were coming. police drove by, windows rolled up, thumbs up signs. national guard trucks rolled by, completely empty, soldiers with guns cocked and aimed at them. nobody stopped to drop off water. a helicopter dropped a load of water, but all the bottles exploded on impact due to the height of the helicopter.

the first day (Wednesday) 4 people died next to her. the second day (Thursday) 6 people died next to her. Denise told me the people around her all thought they had been sent there to die. again, nobody stopped. the only buses that came were full; they dropped off more and more people, but nobody was being picked up and taken away. they found out that those being dropped off had been rescued from rooftops and attics; they got off the buses delirious from lack of water and food. completely dehydrated. the crowd tried to keep them all in one area; Denise said the new arrivals had mostly lost their minds. they had gone crazy.

inside the convention center, the place was one huge bathroom. in order to shit, you had to stand in other people's shit. the floors were black and slick with shit. most people stayed outside because the smell was so bad. but outside wasn't much better: between the heat, the humidity, the lack of water, the old and very young dying from dehydration... and there was no place to lay down, not even room on the sidewalk. they slept outside Wednesday night, under an overpass.

Denise said yes, there were young men with guns there. but they organized the crowd. they went to Canal Street and "looted," and brought back food and water for the old people and the babies, because nobody had eaten in days. when the police rolled down windows and yelled out "the buses are coming," the young men with guns organized the crowd in order: old people in front, women and children next, men in the back. just so that when the buses came, there would be priorities of who got out first.

Denise said the fights she saw between the young men with guns were fist fights. she saw them put their guns down and fight rather than shoot up the crowd. but she said that there were a handful of people shot in the convention center; their bodies were left inside, along with other dead babies and old people.

Denise said the people thought there were being sent there to die. lots of people being dropped off, nobody being picked up. cops passing by, speeding off. national guard rolling by with guns aimed at them. and yes, a few men shot at the police, because at a certain point all the people thought the cops were coming to hurt them, to kill them all. she saw a young man who had stolen a car speed past, cops in pursuit; he crashed the car, got out and ran, and the cops shot him in the back. in front of the whole crowd. she saw many groups of people decide that they were going to walk across the bridge to the west bank, and those same groups would return, saying that they were met at the top of the bridge by armed police ordering them to turn around, that they weren't allowed to leave.

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/6/211436/8987

I don't see why you feel the need to say mea culpa Irvine, I don't think you've done anything "wrong"

It all boils down to anger over what these people have gone through, I can't begin to imagine how they feel

I can't even begin to imagine the mental scars survivors are going to have after this...

Irvine511 said:
:
Denise said she thought she was in hell. they were there for 2 days, with no water, no food. no shelter. Denise, her mother (63 years old), her niece (21 years old), and 2-year-old grandniece. when they arrived, there were already thousands of people there. they were told that buses were coming. police drove by, windows rolled up, thumbs up signs. national guard trucks rolled by, completely empty, soldiers with guns cocked and aimed at them. nobody stopped to drop off water. a helicopter dropped a load of water, but all the bottles exploded on impact due to the height of the helicopter.

the first day (Wednesday) 4 people died next to her. the second day (Thursday) 6 people died next to her. Denise told me the people around her all thought they had been sent there to die. again, nobody stopped. the only buses that came were full; they dropped off more and more people, but nobody was being picked up and taken away. they found out that those being dropped off had been rescued from rooftops and attics; they got off the buses delirious from lack of water and food. completely dehydrated. the crowd tried to keep them all in one area; Denise said the new arrivals had mostly lost their minds. they had gone crazy.

inside the convention center, the place was one huge bathroom. in order to shit, you had to stand in other people's shit. the floors were black and slick with shit. most people stayed outside because the smell was so bad. but outside wasn't much better: between the heat, the humidity, the lack of water, the old and very young dying from dehydration... and there was no place to lay down, not even room on the sidewalk. they slept outside Wednesday night, under an overpass.

Denise said yes, there were young men with guns there. but they organized the crowd. they went to Canal Street and "looted," and brought back food and water for the old people and the babies, because nobody had eaten in days. when the police rolled down windows and yelled out "the buses are coming," the young men with guns organized the crowd in order: old people in front, women and children next, men in the back. just so that when the buses came, there would be priorities of who got out first.

Denise said the fights she saw between the young men with guns were fist fights. she saw them put their guns down and fight rather than shoot up the crowd. but she said that there were a handful of people shot in the convention center; their bodies were left inside, along with other dead babies and old people.

Denise said the people thought there were being sent there to die. lots of people being dropped off, nobody being picked up. cops passing by, speeding off. national guard rolling by with guns aimed at them. and yes, a few men shot at the police, because at a certain point all the people thought the cops were coming to hurt them, to kill them all. she saw a young man who had stolen a car speed past, cops in pursuit; he crashed the car, got out and ran, and the cops shot him in the back. in front of the whole crowd. she saw many groups of people decide that they were going to walk across the bridge to the west bank, and those same groups would return, saying that they were met at the top of the bridge by armed police ordering them to turn around, that they weren't allowed to leave.

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/6/211436/8987

:sad: :angry:

I have been praying for these people every day. I have been trying to help as much from my home town as I can. 750 people are coming here to the coliseum today. We are collecting food for the food bank to provide them with 3 meals a day & clean clothes. Then I read today about pets being ripped from peoples arms in the SuperDome--perhaps the last bit of hope some people had. I just about broke down at work reading this. :sad:

Reading this makes me so fucking angry right now. Nobody really gave or gives a shit about these people and it's despicable.

Sorry for the swearing but this is just completely wrong with what these people are enduring. :angry:

Who is this Denesha?

You know how those people lie.

There is no evidense to back up this crap.

Our President is sending Hon. Dick Cheney
to this part of the country.

He will tell us the truth.

Irvine511 said:
seriously, i mean this as a (somewhat self-absorbed) mea culpa.

the more i learn about the Katrina disaster, the more enraged i become. please read the following account as it has become the ground zero of the rage i feel as both an American and as a human being for the failures that created so much unnecessary suffering:

I feel the same way. I've can't imagine how the victims feel. I've been alternately furious and sick to my stomach at the incompetence and needless suffering.

It's time for this administration to finally hold someone in the administration accountable. :censored:

U2Girl1978 said:
Nobody really gave or gives a shit about these people and it's despicable.

Rescues performed 32,000

Shelters 559

People housed in shelters 182,000

FEMA responders 7,000

U.S. Coast Guard personnel 4,000

National Guard personnel 43,000

Active Duty Military 15,000

MREs provided (meals) 11.3 million

Water provided (liters) 18 million

On the Net: www.fema.gov.

MaxFisher said:

"Okay, so it was a little late, but hey the water got there eventually, right? A person can go without water for a few days, it won't kill them. Oh, it will? Ooops, our bad." :|

Yes, I know the aid is getting there now. That's great. The issue isn't how much, it's how long.

I'm pissed. The suffering these people are going through as a result of bungling bureaucrats and officials is unimaginable. I'm coping with the rage by participating in two events. One is a diocesan fund-raiser and the other is a food collection project that's going to be operating in the town of Cullman near here where I have alot of friends.

verte76 said:
The suffering these people are going through as a result of bungling bureaucrats and officials is unimaginable. I'm coping with the rage by participating in two events. One is a diocesan fund-raiser and the other is a food collection project that's going to be operating in the town of Cullman near here where I have alot of friends.

:up:

Verte, there is another way you can articulate your rage. Send your own, or better yet, organize a mass group email from your CHURCH CONGREGATION (that'll go over well with the Admin crowd) to your local Senator and Congressman specifically asking for a COMMISSION (NOT an "investigation", you have to use the word "commission" ) to begin investigating the Katrina disaster ASAP. We must help the victims and grieve for the dead, and we must rebuild..but the rebuilding will take years. In the meantime, we can't let our grief submerge the righteous sense of anger we felt watching our TV screens last week. WE MUST TAKE ACTION NOW.

I have my opinions about this, but I will not repeat them here. Suffice it to say that there are a LOT of officials in govt of both parties, at all levels, who are running scared. The FEMA director has even gone into hiding, and Governor Blanco has also fallen silent. We have to let our public officials know that we, the people, to quote the good Mayor, are "pissed."

Right now, there is bipartisan support for hearings. Both Houses of Congress have set up hearings. But hearings, and investigation, will not produce hard answers. Local, State, and Fed governments can conduct an "investigation" any way they want, and pref. behind closed doors. A Commission, by contrast, is arbitrarily a public excercise, since it establishes specific people to subpenoa all relevant parties to publicly testify, and most important, they have the power to subpenoa the all-important documents that would who really did what. You can bet that right now, from Washington all down the South, there are more documents being shredded, it makes Oliver North look like a treehugging leftie. . That's why we can't heed Bush's call to put off asking questions until later. The longer we wait, the longer the politicians, from the Mayor's office and Plice headquarters all the way up to the Oval Office, have to spin their sid eof the story and screw we, the people.

So mourn the dead, but fight like hell for the living. Don't let the bastards drag you down.
Maybe a good place to start is my fave site, sojo.net...

Last edited:
Bono's Doll said:
I have been praying for these people every day. I have been trying to help as much from my home town as I can. 750 people are coming here to the coliseum today. We are collecting food for the food bank to provide them with 3 meals a day & clean clothes. Then I read today about pets being ripped from peoples arms in the SuperDome--perhaps the last bit of hope some people had. I just about broke down at work reading this. :sad:

I agree with you 100%. I think every little bit helps. Whatever you can do. My church is orginizing a fund rasier and and a food drive for the ppl that come to Kansas City. So far we have 150 ppl from N.O. that are trying to start over here. I know your prayers have been heard because we are all praying together for the same thing.:hug:

deep said:
Who is this Denesha?

:scratch: :no:

Bono's shades said:
I think deep was being sarcastic.

I would hope so...Thank you for the article Irvine. I just emailed it to my co-workers who are so out of the loop it is pathetic:eyebrow: They all remind me of Babs W. Bush:|

oh....I'm sure deep was being very sarcastic.... I've seen him either be quite articulate and on occasion sarcastic....

SInce sometimes articulating myself dosen't/can't counter all the fury I sometimes will feel......

I too will switch into sarcasm/ "dark" humour/absurd humour or viscious tirades, stinging poetry or i have a few pieces of art i've either done or are still in my head regarding this Natural Catastropy & Manmade Atrocity.

'thinking that they had been sent there to die.......' :scream: :sad: :sad:

Last edited:
MaxFisher said:

Rescues performed 32,000

Shelters 559

People housed in shelters 182,000

FEMA responders 7,000

U.S. Coast Guard personnel 4,000

National Guard personnel 43,000

Active Duty Military 15,000

That's all fine and dandy but do you know how long it took for these people to get there? How come all the journalists are able to get there but the FEMA didn't get there until it was one giant mess? It's disgusting.

deep said:
Who is this Denesha?

:lmao:

I am sitting here after reading irvine's post and deep's little comment here. one makes me want to cry my eyes out and rant and scream ...

... and the other makes me laugh like a loon.

deep, you take the cake. :kiss:

Teta040 said:
Verte, there is another way you can articulate your rage. Send your own, or better yet, organize a mass group email from your CHURCH CONGREGATION (that'll go over well with the Admin crowd) to your local Senator and Congressman specifically asking for a COMMISSION (NOT an "investigation", you have to use the word "commission" ) to begin investigating the Katrina disaster ASAP. ... WE MUST TAKE ACTION NOW.

I have my opinions about this, but I will not repeat them here. Suffice it to say that there are a LOT of officials in govt of both parties, at all levels, who are running scared. The FEMA director has even gone into hiding, and Governor Blanco has also fallen silent. We have to let our public officials know that we, the people, to quote the good Mayor, are "pissed."

Right now, there is bipartisan support for hearings. Both Houses of Congress have set up hearings. But hearings, and investigation, will not produce hard answers. Local, State, and Fed governments can conduct an "investigation" any way they want, and pref. behind closed doors. A Commission, by contrast, is arbitrarily a public excercise, since it establishes specific people to subpenoa all relevant parties to publicly testify, and most important, they have the power to subpenoa the all-important documents that would who really did what.

So mourn the dead, but fight like hell for the living. Don't let the bastards drag you down.
Maybe a good place to start is my fave site, sojo.net...

Please keep in mind that the staff of many congresspersons largely ignore email, as emails can be (and unfortunately, occasionally are) written in the heat of a moment. I'm not saying that's it right that they do so, just saying that they do often ignore emails.

Please consider a good old fashioned letter writing campaign. Or a new fashioned one. Draft a letter explaining your concerns and print many copies. Ask people to sign a copy, put it in an envelope addressed to the senator or congressperson and ask that each person put their own home address as the return address on their copy of the letter.

Snail mail may take longer to arrive, but is less likely to be ignored by congressional staffers. I have already mailed mine.

Last edited:
U2Girl1978 said:
Reading this makes me so fucking angry right now. Nobody really gave or gives a shit about these people and it's despicable.

Sorry for the swearing but this is just completely wrong with what these people are enduring. :angry:

I can't agree more. I'm amazed and angry at what is happening... :sad: :mad:

This whole mess is disturbing, depressing and depraved. :sad: I've tried keeping up with the news coming out of NOLA (both the media's "news" and details reported here), but after dealing with my dad's sudden death last Monday, I can only take it in small increments... it just leaves me feeling so hollow.

Anyway, the point I intended to make is that while I wholeheartedly agree that the handling of Katrina has been a national embarrassment, the thought also occurred to me that some of the problem is in the fact that although there may have been a Disaster Plan in existence, I'm sure no one ever did any practice runs. Evacuating an entire city is a massive logistical nightmare.

I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone... there's plenty of blame to go around. But with communications down for the first few days, mass confusion & unimaginable conditions, I can at least understand how local authorities were initially unsure how to or unable to mount a well-organized relief effort.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:
:hug: I'm so sorry about your father. I didn't know :sad:.

I won't elaborate here b/c I dont' want to hijack this thread, but it was quite a shock to say the least. Thank you for your kind words. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom