Why Hillary makes my wife scream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is one of the only articles I've read on the entire Clinton - Obama thing
so it's rather unfortunate that after reading it I'm actually still completely glueless on why Hillary makes Mrs. Hayden scream

Salome said:
this is one of the only articles I've read on the entire Clinton - Obama thing
so it's rather unfortunate that after reading it I'm actually still completely glueless on why Hillary makes Mrs. Hayden scream

Because she just won't quit. Not even in the real sense of the word i.e. quitting the race for the nomination but just that she keeps going and going with a smirk of entitlement. The great thing is though SHE'S NOT GOING TO GET IT. This is NOT her year and she will NOT be the President of the United States!!!:lol:

Harry Vest said:

Because she just won't quit. Not even in the real sense of the word i.e. quitting the race for the nomination but just that she keeps going and going with a smirk of entitlement. The great thing is though SHE'S NOT GOING TO GET IT. This is NOT her year and she will NOT be the President of the United States!!!:lol:

The great thing is:

she just won't quit.

Not even in the real sense of the word i.e. quitting the race for the nomination but just that she keeps going and going with a smirk

that is the thing about the Clintons

that drives some people nuts

and makes them scream

as for me

watching him, them survive everything that was thrown at them in the 90s

and not quiting!! is really fucking amazing

this is what I am looking for

a fighter to the last once

someone, when they are down

knows how to battle back

not someone that is on top
a shoe-in

that shoots himself in the foot.

Last edited:
deep said:

as for me

watching him, them survive everything that was thrown at them in the 90s

and not quiting!! is really fucking amazing

this is what I am looking for

a fighter to the last once

someone, when they are down

knows how to battle back

Quite honestly, that's part of what puzzles me with this entire anti-Hillary line of thought. I would think that what you've mentioned would be one of many positive qualities that one would look for in a prospective president. For her though, this is turned into a negative. For a male candidate, this level of tenacity would be spun into an admirable trait.

1. She looks like she is on some kind of medication or as my son says that she has a crazy look in her eyes.

2. I can't stand her Chicago accent and I don't think I could hear that for another four years. I love my Chicago cousins but their accent grates on the nerves.

3. Stay in the race as long as you want Hillary and it will help Obama in Nov. because the Democratic party has set up a voter data base. This data base is new and it organizes the party so we can target voters that will vote for Obama and Congressional Democratic candidates.

4. I was wondering if Bill was subconsciously sabotaging Hillary's campaign by saying stupid things. Maybe he doesn't want her to be president since they have a strange marriage.

5. She is good entertainment and her begging Obama for a debate is funny.

My family owned a hotel in Washington D.C. during the 1960's and one of our guests were the black panthers.

Why doesn't Hillary have the right to fight it out in her campaign until the very end or until SHE decides to give up, IF she does decide to do so? Not saying I am a Hillary supporter, just she has that right just as any other candidate would in this country.

As I said, I'm not disclosing if I am a Hillary supporter or not, but I give Hillary a LOT of credit for pursuing the Presidency of the US. Despite all the backstabbing, negativity and assumptions she has continued her momentum like the Energizer Bunny or The Little Engine That Could. She is passionate, she knows what she wants and is going after it. How could you fault ANYONE for those traits?

Obama also has a strong Chicago accent. Sometimes I cannot stand listening to him talk just like I grow tired of hearing Hillary straining or screaming throughout her speeches. They are both from Illinois, both of the candidates have noticeable accents.

The Clinton's marriage is between Bill and Hill and no one else. I have wished for years people would leave them the heck alone and quite assuming things about them and their relationship especially about their marriage.

VintagePunk said:

Quite honestly, that's part of what puzzles me with this entire anti-Hillary line of thought. I would think that what you've mentioned would be one of many positive qualities that one would look for in a prospective president. For her though, this is turned into a negative. For a male candidate, this level of tenacity would be spun into an admirable trait.

I don't believe this would be positive for a male candidate either.

There is fighting on for a cause and then there is also something to be said for gracefully accepting defeat.

Really, I'm less inclined to blame Hillary here, and more inclined to blame the political parties for creating this convoluted and long drawn out primary process.

Wouldn't we all have been happier, had Iowa and New Hampshire coronated our candidates like usual? :|

Why is it so spread out? Wouldn't it be better to have a national campaigning period and then just everyone in to vote nationally on one specific day, just like the general election? Am I missing some obvious logic with this approach?

Earnie Shavers said:
Why is it so spread out? Wouldn't it be better to have a national campaigning period and then just everyone in to vote nationally on one specific day, just like the general election? Am I missing some obvious logic with this approach?

The approach to deciding a candidate (in the US anyway) changes exponentially with who the candidates are.
This time is no different.
We have two viable Democratic candidates and the stakes are extremely high.
The process HAS to play out this time.
How that will play out is anyone's guess.

Earnie Shavers said:

The "logic" is that the parties want the candidate to be coronated by Iowa and New Hampshire. That means that they can focus on two tiny states, without having to raise too much money to do it.

As for the other states, since their primaries haven't generally mattered for decades, I think most of them stopped caring when they were scheduled. Here's hoping that they'll be more organized the next time around.

Take that, Hayden.

That's Hysterical
Attacks on a "hysterical" Hillary Clinton have a long literary pedigree.

By Linda Hirshman
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2008, at 6:04 PM ET

I wonder whether the SAT still includes those questions about which object does not fit into the larger group. Here's mine:

1. Lucia di Lammermoor
2. Lady Macbeth
3. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton
4. Fraulein Bertha Pappenheim ("Anna O.")

Lucia, the heroine of Sir Walter Scott's novel The Bride of Lammermoor and, more recently, of Gaetano Donizetti's eponymous opera, is forced to marry her brother's ally rather than her true love, loses her mind, stabs the groom to death on their wedding night, and—after some impressive vocal pyrotechnics in her bloodstained wedding dress (the opera's mad scene)—dies. Lady Macbeth, of Shakespeare's play and, more recently, Giuseppe Verdi's opera, is married to an aristocratic, but not royal, husband; eggs him on to kill the king and various other superdelegates; loses her mind; and—after some impressive vocal pyrotechnics (the opera's sleepwalking scene)—dies. Bertha Pappenheim, the "Anna O." of Sigmund Freud and Josef Breuer's studies on hysteria, developed paralysis, lapses of consciousness, and hallucinations, but, after a so-called talking cure with Breuer, recovered sufficiently to die (operatically in form, if not in fact) of tuberculosis.

Then there is Sen. Hillary Clinton, whose husband's antics probably would have driven Mother Theresa to homicidal ideation and who has been repudiated on an almost daily basis by people she has personally and politically supported for years. She travels from rally to rally, delivering boring, but worthy, addresses to the assembled multitudes and finds herself—against all odds, since the first recorded contest—approaching, if not securing, the nomination to run for the highest office in the United States.
The May 7, 2008, cover of the New RepublicThe May 7, 2008, cover of the New Republic

And yet the media keep trying to paint her as a hysteric. Here's the cover of this fortnight's New Republic. Category mistake? From all those brilliant young Harvard guys at the New Republic?

Clearly, something else is afoot.

By playing the "hysteric" card, Clinton's attackers are following a very old script—a script that taints women with madness every time they, you know, say anything at all that might distinguish them from a doormat. The word hysterical does not mean any old homicidal lunacy. It means—and has meant since the birth of Western medicine—symptoms caused by the uterus (in Greek, hystera): a disease, as Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine, called it, of women:

When the uterus has reached the liver and the hypochondrium and causes suffocation, the whites of the eyes roll up, the woman becomes cold, and even sometimes livid. She grinds her teeth; saliva drips from her mouth, and she appears to be having an epileptic fit.

So that's where the New Republic got its cover art …

Ancient doctors speculated that uteri drove women crazy because the thirsty organs didn't get watered enough by having sex with men. Although ordinary anatomy eventually dispensed with that theory, the notion that there was some medical basis for female hysteria just would not stay dead. Famed scholar and literary critic Elaine Showalter wrote in her book Hystories that "for over a century the political context of hysteria has been feminism. Hysteria became a hot topic in medical circles in the 1880s and 1890s when feminism, the New Woman, and a crisis in gender were also hot topics. … [D]octors viewed hysterical women as closet feminists who had to be reprogrammed into traditional roles."

Ever since, you could be certain that whenever the old hysteria talk surfaces, the writer is relying, usually quite consciously, on the old association between uppity women and insanity. Culture critic and Slate contributor Stanley Crouch, who recently invoked the H-word when describing Clinton's television persona in his Daily News column ("Clinton seems by turns icy, contrived, hysterical, sentimental, bitter, manipulative and self-righteous [italics mine]"), certainly knows what he is doing. As Salon described him in its series Brilliant Careers, the volatile and charismatic Crouch is "[a]rmed with an elephant's memory and a passionate knowledge of and engagement with art and history." Nor, probably, would anyone contend that Slate's own Christopher Hitchens didn't know the queen's English when he described Clinton's story about Bosnia as "flagrant, hysterical, repetitive, pathological lying." Flagrant, yes; repetitive, yes; and maybe pathological. But "hysterical"?

This charge of insanity—fits, pathology—against any woman who aspires to transcend prior female achievements is the go-to weapon for people who would keep women down. And this move goes way beyond the candidacy of any particular individual. In a recent Nation column, Tom Hayden (the '60s guy, now in his 60s) deployed a full arsenal of insults, comparing Clinton to Lady Macbeth and then going on to liken her appearance to a "screech" on the blackboard.

Hayden, apparently fearing some criticism, hid behind the voice of his never-before-heard third wife, Barbara, a "meditative practitioner of everything peaceful and organic," never previously given to offering hostile political pronouncements. But Clinton's appearance on TV apparently makes Tom's wife "scream." Poor Tom Hayden, still looking for a sufficiently submissive female. Everyone remembers Jane Fonda, Hayden's second wife. But probably few Nation readers remember the first Mrs. Hayden, one Casey Hayden. In 1965, right around the time she divorced Tom, Casey Hayden wrote the screed that helped launch the women's liberation movement, "Sex and Caste." Her ex-husband's most recent unleashing of the hysteria rocket shows how little distance we have covered since Casey Hayden picked up her pen.

Can Tom Hayden be suggesting that hysteria is contagious—that even peaceful Barbara becomes somehow unhinged when exposed to the hysterical female presidential candidate? Or maybe it's Tom himself who is the real constant here, seeing women as hysterical wherever they appear.

^Interesting. Some people will never admit to such thinking but it is out there. They ought to honestly examine it.

Maybe a hysterectomy would fix her.

VintagePunk said:
Take that, Hayden.
if nothing else at least this articile did make sense :up:

I'm not a Clinton fan or anything
hell, I don't care one way or the other
but the Hayden article made no sense whatsoever

Salome said:

Neither am I, nor am I a militant feminist. I'm not even American, so I have little invested in the outcome besides being an interested citizen of the world and a neighbour to the north of the US. Yet oddly, I find myself wanting to defend some of the outrageous claims made about her (yes, they are outrageous, akin to tabloid journalism). I think it's naive not to think that there is at least some degree of sexism going on in the vilification of Hillary.

Salome said:

there is a lot of hysterical ranting aginst Hillary these days

I expected it from the Rush Limbaughs and his like

I saw the same hysterical rantings against Bill Clinton in the 90s by that same group

it seems the anti-Hillary people really got nothing
so they are just regurgitating the wacko Right-wing rants

melon said:
Really, I'm less inclined to blame Hillary here, and more inclined to blame the political parties for creating this convoluted and long drawn out primary process.

Wouldn't we all have been happier, had Iowa and New Hampshire coronated our candidates like usual? :|

I've been meaning to reply to this for a few days now. I think you've hit the nail on the head, blaming the process for much of the problems and division that's going on right now.

You seem to be very familiar with the ways of Canada - you're moving here soon, right? - so you probably know about our process of electing leaders of political parties, and it is so much easier, faster, and more efficient than yours.

In my view, what's happening right now in the US is that contrary to most election cycles, you have two very strong candidates running for the Democratic party. Normally, this should be thought of as a positive thing - yay Democrats! - but all it's causing now is bickering and division.

Because of the strength of the candidates and the relative closeness of their delegate counts, the process has to go on and on before it resolves. In the meantime, the American public is becoming more and more invested in seeing their particular candidate win, forgetting that essentially, they're both on the same side! Your media certainly hasn't been helping, sensationalizing every aspect of the candidates and the process, as the US media is wont to do. This seems to be setting up an air of fervency, whereby it's taking on a tone of a sporting event, with the fans of each "side" being overly invested in the outcome. Rather than being pleased that there are two very strong, capable candidates running, this is leading to the inevitable mudslinging and whatnot.

deep said:

there is a lot of hysterical ranting aginst Hillary these days

I expected it from the Rush Limbaughs and his like

I saw the same hysterical rantings against Bill Clinton in the 90s by that same group

it seems the anti-Hillary people really got nothing
so they are just regurgitating the wacko Right-wing rants

I find the people who criticize Hillary for stuff that has nothing to do with her stands on the issues (I think people can make perfectly rational arguments against her there) to be far more "hysterical" than Hillary has ever been. They call her cold and robotic one day and hysterical the next! Talk about irrational.

Back
Top Bottom