why can't bill graham lead the liberals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
it was announced yesterday that bill graham will be the interim leader of the liberals as paul martin removes himself from the scene.

but my question to canadians, and others who are familiar with our politics (melon, etc.) is why isn't his name being thrown about as being the liberal leader?

he seems like someone who's respected in almost all circles (even harper sang his praises upon his appointment), and has lots of political experience both in domestic and interenational affairs.

do you believe he's not being truly considered because he's part of the "old" team, and the party is now looking for new blood?

the other candidate i'm curious about is pierre pettigrew, our outgoing foreign minister.

the soon-to-be-out-of-office mp of papineau, quebec, also has plenty of experience and was a key figurehead in both the chretien and martin governments.

the only problem with him is the fact that he lost his very own seat a week and a half ago to the bastards (ie: bloc).

i'd like to see either of these two take a go at the leadership, certainly ahead of the others currently being cited as potential candidates.

thoughts?

Isn't it pretty interesting and a little alarming that in a climate where Canadians were clearly just sending the Liberals a message and people think we are heading to the polls within 18 months to vote them back in, no one who is truly qualified wants to step up?

They must be in deeper shit than we know.

He has been very outspoken about having no desire to lead the Liberals longterm or play the role of PM. Every interview of his I have seen in the last 2-3 years, when asked about this matter, he was clear.

Now whether that is genuine, or an answer formulated on the basis of the fact he knows he doesn't stand a fair chance, I am not sure.

He's a likeable guy.

AliEnvy said:
Isn't it pretty interesting and a little alarming that in a climate where Canadians were clearly just sending the Liberals a message and people think we are heading to the polls within 18 months to vote them back in, no one who is truly qualified wants to step up?

They must be in deeper shit than we know.

i never thought of it that way...

but with the media spotlight turning away from them and their past scandals, i'd think they're in the clear now, don't you think?

if there really is more shit that we don't know about then... :yikes:

Maybe it speaks more to their in-fighting and bitter divisiveness rather than any more wrongdoing that may be uncovered.

It makes me think that they may see the leadership role right now as becoming a sacrificial lamb somehow so anyone with real ambition to be PM is going to ride it out for a while.

It's like being the rebound girlfriend/boyfriend after a bitter break up lol.

Back
Top Bottom