why are sports so appealing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
I mean, even those of you who say you hate sports, even the most ardent sports-haters, usually at least watch the Olympics, or their kids end up playing sports in their youth, etc

it's entertainment, yes, does it also satisfy some inner desire that humans have for competition in a pseudo war-like setting

I don't know, games seem irrelevant but aren't movies and video games among other things?

or is it all just an excuse to get together with your buddies and drink beer?
wink.gif

what's the deal?

--------
This post brought to you courtesy of a NY Giants fan who watched an agonizing game that actually ended with a victory this time and now prepares to watch what will most certainly be an agonizing Game 7 of the World Series

Well, beer is good!
wink.gif

But for me, I've been playing tennis since I was 7. I fell in love with the sport at a very young age. Getting to the state tournament in High School is one of the best moments in my life.

I thing sports are great for taking my mind off of the real world, it keeps me in shape, and gives me something to look forward to every week.

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

this is gonna sound too silly....

to me it feels like a way to settle the naturally competitive human desires (face it, we're all competitive in some way) in a relatively peaceful setting and then, at the end, be able to shake hands with the person and walk away on good terms. you know, like in hockey, if you let the boys fight you don't end up with a massive bench-clearing brawl on your hands. instead, things are kept under control and out in the open. of course, it doesn't always work that well but still, you get my point...

sports also are a great release for me. I can clear my mind so easily with them..I think I literally am addicted to endorphines.
often times, when I feel like I can't take anymore and I'm going to go insane and hurt myself, just going for a run, or having a ridiculously hard swim practice can clear my head enough for me to think rationally and cope with things.
in fact, when I'm on swimming break I have a tendency to get depressed, which does seem slightly unhealthy..

my obsession with hockey? I just think it's a kick ass sport and having a bunch of hot guys to look at aint too bad either
biggrin.gif

also, with the Olympics and all, I just really respect those people not only for what they can do, but what they have gone through to get there.
it gives me a pure adrenaline rush and I just hope one day all my own work and my stupid failures will pay off. I'll keep trying anyway
smile.gif

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

[This message has been edited by BabyGrace (edited 11-04-2001).]

Its the competition...its the emotional involvement...its the wonderment at physical feats...the size of the event...the escape it provides...

Its also just the intangible, like music...that extra something there that draws you back.

it's 'cause chixdiggit.

and mikal is right, beer is good.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Its exciting!!! All those things you guys have said..

Having something to support with traditions and a long standing history plays a part too.
I supported the North Sydney Bears all my life. My Dad supported them all his life. They never won a grand final. It wasnt about winning. Its about being a part of something that stems right back to your childhood and being part of a special community.
Kinda like this one...

Up the Mighty Bears

Because Chievo Verona(?!?!?!?) is currently #1 in the Serie A. A team who's budget ($6M) is just as high as Juventus' Del Piero's salary.

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Back
Top Bottom