Why abortion rate is up during Bush years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
From The Houston Chronicle. Written by a PRO-LIFER.

Under Bush, the decade-long trend of declining abortion rates appears to have reversed. Given the trends of the 1990s, 52,000 more abortions occurred in the United States in 2002 than would have been expected before this change of direction.

What does this tell us? Economic policy and abortion are not separate issues; they form one moral imperative. Rhetoric is hollow, mere tinkling brass, without health care, insurance, jobs, child care and a living wage. Pro-life in deed, not merely in word, means we need a president who will do something about jobs, health insurance and support for mothers.

I was chatting with someone about this just the other day, Antriram! Good on ya for this post. It's a bit counterintuitive, but Belguim and Norway, both of whom have legal abortions, also have the planet's lowest rates of abortion (which I think we can all agree is a worthwhile goal). I think this can be linked to a healthy, just welfare state. Many women have abortions because they feel they cannot afford to care for their kid. If they get the financial support they need, those rates go down.

So--will pro-lifers (like myself) put our $ where are mouths are and be willing to give the support mothers need?

SD

I think everything is Bush's fault:angry:

From Testeverde's fumble yesterday, to Gay domestic violence and the cause of Tony Blair's recent heart flutters-tachie-cardia:angry:

If something is bad in the world let's just blame George, ok!?:angry::sexywink::wave::wink:

Last edited:
Another issue is the fact that Bush and his supporters have pushed through abstinance only programs into schools. A study a few years ago found that those who signed chastity agreements or had abstinance only classes were more likely to have sex before their sex ed counterparts. They also were more likely to have unprotected sex because they did not think they would have sex and were therefore not prepared.

If you tell someone they can't have something and you don't teach them about that something, they become more interested than if you gave them the facts and made sure they were prepared to deal with this adult issue. I was in a Catholic school and we had several sex ed classes [where are the ovaries etc.] as well as talking about the morality of sex. Many schools who have abstinance only programs never talk about any of this, instead simply teaching that sex is wrong until you're married or you'll burn in Hell. We are doing a disservice to our children with this policy.

Gore Says Bush Governs from 'Love of Power'

Mon Oct 18, 3:50 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) governs from a "love of power" and right-wing ideology rather than religious beliefs, and he has yet to hold anyone in his administration accountable for mistakes, former Vice President Al Gore (news - web sites) said on Monday.

As the campaign by Bush and Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) for president headed into the last stretch before the Nov. 2 election, Gore criticized his rival for the White House four years ago on Iraq (news - web sites) and other issues.

"I'm convinced that most of the president's frequent departures from fact-based analysis have much more to do with right-wing political and economic ideology than with the Bible," Gore said in a speech at Georgetown University.

"It is love of power for its own sake that is the original sin of this presidency," he said.

He painted the Bush administration and its "right-wing" supporters as pursuing policies for the wealthy and powerful at the expense of the rest of the country.

"The essential cruelty of Bush's game is that he takes an astonishingly selfish and greedy collection of economic and political proposals and then cloaks them with a phony moral authority, thus misleading many Americans ... who have a deep and genuine desire to do good in the world," Gore said.

"And in the process, he convinces them to lend unquestioning support for proposals that actually hurt their families and their communities," he said.

"Truly, President Bush has stolen the symbolism and body language of religion and used it to disguise the most radical effort in American history to take what rightfully belongs to the American people and give as much of it as possible to the already wealthy and privileged," he said.

Gore also criticized Bush for not holding anyone in his administration accountable for problems.

He said Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had not been held accountable for "the most shameful and humiliating violation of American principles in recent memory" in the interrogations of prisoners in Iraq.

A couple of things to consider about the economy:

1. It was moving towards a recession before Bush even took office.

2. The economic impact of 9/11 cannot be underestimated, and if you actually blame Bush for that, well, you're wrong.

My opinion is that Bush did everything he could to help the economy rebound from that disaster, and a tax-raising Democrat would not have been able to get it going even as little as it has come back.

So, think about these things when you are considering the economic factors that corrolate with abortion statistics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom