Who's ready to get drafted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will go in a heartbeat if necessary, truth is I already am a veteran and have been contemplating this idea for over a week now, oddly enough, especially now.

Actually i have been thinking of enlisting in the military since early 2000.
Only i am most likely joining the AIR FORCE!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif

If i go through with it, I'll leave for basic in the spring.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 09-11-2001).]

I was wondering, z edge, if you were still "on reserve call." Several of my friends are Marine vets and I remember they had a couple of years after completing their active duty when they could be "called up" again in certain situations.

~U2Alabama

mrs. macphisto i cant help but ask the question that now begs. your thinking of joining the crops. but will not eat animals. you think its unethical for animals to be consumed by haumans, and you even said it should be alright for animals such as dogs to eat other canned animal food until we come up with a logical substitute.

maybe i have the wrong person, but is it not you who said all these things? and dont you find this to be MORE than hypocritical thinking?

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
mrs. macphisto i cant help but ask the question that now begs. your thinking of joining the crops. but will not eat animals. you think its unethical for animals to be consumed by haumans, and you even said it should be alright for animals such as dogs to eat other canned animal food until we come up with a logical substitute.

maybe i have the wrong person, but is it not you who said all these things? and dont you find this to be MORE than hypocritical thinking?

I am not against killing EVIL people. I'm just against killing animals AND innocent people.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

i am sorry but that is the densest thing ive heard all day. and its been a long day. your FOR killing evil people! dont you see?! its subjective! people think your evil simply cause your american. does this mean its ok?! i simply cannot understand this double standard. enlighten me further please i want to know.

Some things are just universally WRONG. Intentionally killing or hurting innocent individuals is wrong and it does not matter if you are from America, Iraq, or MARS. You hurt others, you must pay for what you did.
With some killers, you can have mercy on them,it depends.
But when you are dealing with *evil*, the only thing you can do is destroy it. There is no place on earth for people like that. Send 'em to hell. There is room there.

------------------

I have had a lot of this type of discussion at work today at our college paper. I am in an very detatched position in this argument because of disabilty rendering me an automatic 4-F from arthritis (yes, even at 20 years of age, it can attack). Its hard to consider this question for me.

Even if i werent disabled, i would not be able to bring myself to fight. Mine is not the type of psyche to fight and kill and such. I am a pacifist by nature.

I seriously doubt there will be a draft in my time. Times are different now. Wars of the scale of even of a Vietnam are less likely. The types of military actions that will be seen will be those of police actions from NATO and UN. The threat is no longer of the visible nations, but of the actions of individuals hiding in the shadows.

I dunno what will be, but thats my two cents.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I was wondering, z edge, if you were still "on reserve call." Several of my friends are Marine vets and I remember they had a couple of years after completing their active duty when they could be "called up" again in certain situations.

~U2Alabama

Hey Bama,
Actually I enlisted in the Army in 1989 and got out in 96, stayed in the guard till 97 when my 8 years were up. I got out then and took a job overseas before returning to the USA and coming back to oklahoma, then atlanta, then back to okla.

I know this is a long answer to a short question, but NO my duty is fullfilled as far as they are concerned. I don't feel very good about it today though with all thats happened i feel very guilty as if we all should have done more.

I have been contemplating going back into the reserve components and maybe getting more education while in the process. That is obviously on hold for the moment. If they were to call me up, I would try to post a quick goodbye to everyone and then take off into the unknown.

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:

But when you are dealing with *evil*, the only thing you can do is destroy it. There is no place on earth for people like that. Send 'em to hell. There is room there.
Exactly my sentiment. By the way, I am too old to be drafted, practically speaking (34). However, if we went to War, I would not be opposed to serving, in a non-combat position - communications, medical, etc.

If you wanted to join the military, 80sU2, you still can. The Army's age limit is 34! theyll waiver you at later ages though, i believe.
Most people dont realize this, but most jobs in the military DONT involve killing. there are tons of things one can do. Beside the type of jobs you mentioned, there is Intel, Public affairs, mechanical stuff, one can help with bringing in relief supplies, etc. Many jobs in the military are about SAVING lives and preventing war/terrorism/suffering, etc.
I encourage every able person to check it out. If you are too old or have a disability, you might want to check out the Civil Air Patrol. they do not fight at all but instead work at helping peopl in times of crisis, transporting supplies,medical suppies, blood, organs, etc...As well as help with law enforcement.
I am receiving emails from a guy in the Reserves who told me i might want to consider going into security forces, they help with counter-terrorism, things of that nature.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 09-13-2001).]

Most people dont realize this, but most jobs in the military DONT involve killing. there are tons of things one can do. Beside the type of jobs you mentioned, there is Intel, Public affairs, mechanical stuff, one can help with bringing in relief supplies, etc. Many jobs in the military are about SAVING lives and preventing war/terrorism/suffering, etc.

Good going Miss M!

dealing with *evil*, the only thing you can do is destroy it. There is no place on earth for people like that. Send 'em to hell. There is room there.

I absolutely agree. I don't normally agree with violence, but there is no other choice. Supreme and ultimate violence is the only way to rid the world of these monsters.

There should also be a respect for those who either physically or emotionally cannot join the military. For those who choose to join, that is fine. However, for those not joining, it doesn't mean that they are more or less patriotic than their military counterparts. God created us all for different purposes, and some of us just wish to be supporters in spirit.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by melon:
There should also be a respect for those who either physically or emotionally cannot join the military. For those who choose to join, that is fine. However, for those not joining, it doesn't mean that they are more or less patriotic than their military counterparts. God created us all for different purposes, and some of us just wish to be supporters in spirit.
Melon
Melon, you are EXACTLY right!

Back
Top Bottom