Whole Lotta Shunning Going On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
A few weeks ago we found out Bush cancelled his trip to Canada in the Fall AGAIN, (they say he is waiting for a new PM before dignifying us with his presence :rolleyes: ) and now, Mandela is shunning Bush! I think he goes a bit far with the holocaust thing, but I agree about the UN.

Mandela keeps heat on Bush
Condemns U.S. for ignoring U.N.

Unlikely to meet American leader

NICHOLAS KOTCH
REUTERS NEWS AGENCY

JOHANNESBURG?Iconic African leader Nelson Mandela kept up his criticism of U.S. President George W. Bush, yesterday and hinted he may not meet him when the American leader makes his first visit to Africa next month.

Mandela condemned Bush for warring against Iraq, saying he was wrong to bypass the United Nations and overthrow Iraqi President Saddam Hussein by force.

"Since the creation of the United Nations there has not been a world war. Therefore, for anybody, especially the leader of a super state, to act outside the United Nations is something that must be condemned by everybody who wants peace," the former South African president said after meeting French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin.

In Washington, the White House made no comment on Mandela's remarks.

This is not the first time Mandela has censured Bush over Iraq. "One power with a president who has no foresight and cannot think properly, is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust," Mandela charged in January.

Officially the South African government under President Thabo Mbeki also opposed the war but used softer rhetoric.

Bush is due to make a five-nation tour of Africa starting July 8, spending much of his time in South Africa. A call on Mandela is normally part of any visiting leader's schedule but there were strong signs yesterday Bush would not meet Mandela.

"You assume that he is going to meet me. I wouldn't make that assumption." Mandela said. It was unclear who would cold-shoulder whom.

Mandela however, praised French President Jacques Chirac's anti-war stance.

associated press, reuters

I guess this is one thing that BONO and Mandela don't have in common.

STING2 said:
I guess this is one thing that BONO and Mandela don't have in common.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Just a little observation. I thought it was interesting. I'm not sure what your getting at with Tea and China.

I think "what's that have to do with the price of tea in China" is a phrased used to mean "how is that relevant to what we're talking about?" Maybe you don't use it in the US. :)

:up: Good for Mandela. Bush acts like a potentate that will only grace obedient subjects with his presence. If he doesn't want to play by the international rules, then someone ought to call him on it.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I think "what's that have to do with the price of tea in China" is a phrased used to mean "how is that relevant to what we're talking about?" Maybe you don't use it in the US. :)

Oh, yes we do!

Ooops, sorry about my mistake then. I'm never sure what popular sayings are common to the US and UK, since I used to get a lot of confused looks when I used certain phrases whilst studying in the US. :lol:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I think "what's that have to do with the price of tea in China" is a phrased used to mean "how is that relevant to what we're talking about?"

Exactly how I meant it. :)

Back
Top Bottom