Who to "Liberate" Next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Call it a hunch, but I think it is safe to say that Iraq is not the last nation we're going to "liberate." So who will be next? For what "reason"? And when?

It's a tough question, but I think its a toss-up between Syria and North Korea. Syria has kind of jumped to the top of the list in Rumsfeld's tirades, but North Korea is still quite the genuine threat. However, I also think it is likely that North Korea is screaming loudly, waiting for another "diplomatic solution" in its favor, but I doubt we'll negotiate with Syria.

Of course, there is also Iran. Nuclear facilities in a nation we distrust.

But election year is around the corner, and Bush is nothing without a constant state of siege, so it's fairly safe to say that the next "liberation" will be sometime in 2004. It's so tiring building a "New World Order" now isn't it? :der:

Melon

Last edited:
I think Syria is most likely to be Bush's next target. There was an article in today's Observer (http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,935943,00.html) which included a quote from Paul Wolfowitz threating that "things will have to change in Syria" and Richard Perle saying the US would be "compelled to act" against Syria if Iraq had moved weapons to Syria prior to being attacked. Add to the Colin Powell's comments over the last few days about Syria, and I think it's quite clear who the US will next target.

On the subject of Iraq allegedly moving its weapons to Syria, I've always found this interesting. Some people suggest Iraq didn't have WMDs because Saddam would have used them on the US troops since he knew that he had very little time left in power. However, pro-war people usually respond that "he didn't have time to use the weapons" - doesn't that raise the question of how on earth he had time to move his weapons to another country if he didn't have time to actually use them?

Anyway, sorry to have got off topic there, but I do think Syria is likely to be the next target for Bush & co, although clearly North Korea and Iran aren't safe either.

Knowing Saddam's past behavior, I must admit that I doubt Saddam would have actually disarmed. The purpose of having these weapons was not as much to terrorize the U.S. as much as to terrorize his own people from revolting. As you can see, gas was used on the Kurds.

To the question as to whether he would have used them, I think Saddam knew he had more to lose in using them than in not using them. In not using them, he, at least, had global support, and he would probably rather go down as a "martyr" than a liar.

Melon

My money's on Syria.

As for the reason - do they really need one? Rumsfeld and Bush will start inundating American media with the idea that an attack from those crazy terrorist Syrians is imminent, we're all gonna die in a puff of smoke, and that'll be that.

The question is, how many countries will be liberated before people vote Bush out of office...

Well, the idea of being in the middle of a war during the presidential election, of course, is because the GOP will try to argue that we cannot change leaders in the middle of a conflict. Seeing how our economy is sputtering, it is all he will have, and since our voting public seems to have the combined intellect of cattle cud, I tend to think that might work.

Melon

Aren't reports out of the UK indicating that they would not participate in any Syrian adventure? If they're out, I fully expect Australia to be out, which basically leaves the US with nobody, unless Eritrea and Estonia are going to send troops into the Mediterranean. Perhaps the American public which supported this Iraq war would then start to smell the coffee and decide that no, it really isn't the best idea to go conquerin' abroad.

The concept of "coalition" is a facade anyway, a weak attempt at making the U.S. look multilateral.

Melon

Yes, apparently Tony Blair is trying to distance himself from any prospective attacks on Syria. However, I think he is one of the least trustworthy politicians in the world after his behaviour regarding Iraq, so it wouldn't suprise me at all if he were to go back on his word. :(

melon said:
The concept of "coalition" is a facade anyway, a weak attempt at making the U.S. look multilateral.

Melon

Exactly. "Coalition" troops? Two countries does not a coalition make. And I'm disgusted that Tony Blair went along with attacking Iraq, since that made it a lot easier for Bush to make it look like a "multi-lateral" attack.

I really don't know if Bush is stupid enough to try to "liberate" another country. Doesn't he have to get ready for an election next year? Hopefully this will occupy his time.

I do believe that Iran is next. My reasons being the up and coming election. While there were very little links (credible) between Iraq and Al-Qaeda......There apparently are many links between Al-Qaeda and the Iranian Intelligence agencies.

I have no links to provide. Read Bob Gertz Breakdown. He basically states that Iran was in bed with Al-Qaeda.

Peace

Yes, Syria is next. Bush and Rumsfeld are accusing them of "harboring terrorists". I just hope that no one else supports an attack on Syria. Without Blair Bush is definitely weaker, much more blatantly unilateral. The Administration would probably botch on an attack on Syria and it might not take place. Look who might not be amused: the neighboring state of Iraq, Arabic and Islamic!!

melon said:
The purpose of having these weapons was not as much to terrorize the U.S. as much as to terrorize his own people from revolting. As you can see, gas was used on the Kurds.

Melon

i know your a smart man, melon, so im surprised you actually said this.

the kurds were not his own people. they controlled the northern part of iraq, and saddam had nothing to do with them.

ofcourse, he did gas them, and im certainly not making any excuses for him.

but to say he gased his own people, at least when talking about the kurds, is incorrect.

Ah, but you forget something, dearest Gagickies. That was before the no-fly zone that allowed the Kurds to be de-facto autonomous. By "own people," I define that as people within the political boundaries of Iraq.

War wrangling aside, to somehow excuse away the Kurds as insignificant compared to his "own people" (Sunni Muslims?) is kind of disturbing.

Melon

man/child unfortunately you are ppb right

That always frustrates me, too.

When people repeat propaganda sound bites.

Did the US slaughter it's own people, i. e. the so-called American Indians, the Mexicans etc.

As for who is next?

It is a coin toss, Syria or Iran,

Whichever one the American people will believe was responsible for 9-11.

?There is a direct link?

?He gassed his own people?

?Weapons of mass destruction?

?Precision bombing?

Blah blah blah

While reprehensible, those occurred over 100+ years ago, and those responsible have long since been deceased. The world operated under different philosophical paradigms, and, while regrettable, we cannot go back in time and stop it. Almost every nation has a bloody past, whether that be in the Western world or otherwise.

Thankfully, we live in a world where genocide should be intolerable, and, while we will all disagree as to the methods of Saddam's removal, I think we can agree that such genocide is intolerable in the modern world.

This "it's okay because everyone does it" argument does not fly here, and I would expect better from you than to regurgitate leftist propaganda.

Melon

deep said:
Melon,

Were not the people he gassed Shia who sided with Iran during that war?

I think he gassed the Kurds and slaughtered the Shi'ites.

He also gassed Iranians during the Iran-Iraq War. However, I cease to see why this is important. Are you somehow implying that some people are deserving of chemical warfare?

Melon

First, In 2002 I posted in this forum that Saddam was despicable and should not be in power.

Second. I am glad he is gone.

He did crimes against his own people, torture, executions, etc.

To say he gassed his ?own? people. Is as correct as saying the US killed it?s ?own? people when they killed native Americans.

I don?t want to be put in a position of defending those actions. I do not.

I have stated before Saddam should have been removed for crimes against humanity. And put on trial like Milosivic and others.

This war was sold on half-truths and straight out lies, that?s all.

Last edited:
deep said:
This war was sold on half-truths and straight out lies, that?s all.

Well, I'm not disagreeing with this. My thread is supposed to be a bit acidic in tone anyway. :sexywink:

Melon

Saddam's failure to comply with 17 UN resolutions passed under CHAPTER VII rules of the UN is not a half truth or a lie, it is a FACT!

For 12 years, everyone tried another way besides military force to bring Saddam into compliance. These actions failed. Military force was the only option that would ever bring about compliance with the resolutions given Saddam's unwillingness to cooperate. Oh, and no those resolutions were not just pieces of paper. Its to late for several hundred thousand Iraqi's, but fortunately its not to late for potentially several million people that could have been killed by Saddam in the next decade especially if he had developed nuclear weapons.

BUT, to the topic of this thread and it is an interesting one. There is not going to be and invasion of Syria, Iran, or North Korea, chiefly because the reasons and conditions for the invasion of Iraq do not exist in the way or to the degree that they do in the other countries.

Syria: Syria does have a past of invading Israel and occupying parts of Lebanon. But unlike Iraq, Syria has not invaded any countries in the past 20 years where as Iraq has attacked and invaded 4 different countries. Syria has extensively supported Hezebolah and other terrorist organizations responsible for terrorism in Israel. But its behavior for the most part is not nearly as threatening as Saddam's Iraq. Feeding and giving a few dollars to terrorist is one thing, Invading and occupying countries unprovoked and using chemical weapons against other countries is another. Syria is a country that needs to be looked at, but at the time being is not a candidate for regime change. Hopefully it will never make that list. Syria is to geographically seperated from the Persian Gulf to mount an effective invasion of the area and has to worry about Israel, which takes away from any insane effort to occupy the rich oil fields of the Persian Gulf.

Iran: Iran unlike Syria is much better positioned for an oil field grab. But Iran does not have a history of invading other countries. It did have plans after it was invaded by Iraq to defeat Iraq and not stop there, but that was in the few years after the Iranian revolution when the situation was constantly evolving. Like Syria, Iran has not invaded any country in the past 20 years(Except Iraq, but lets not forget it was Iraq that started the war). Iran's conventional military in terms of weapons is much smaller than Syria or Iraq. It is still primarily an infantry based military although it has purchased 800 tanks from Russia over the past 13 years. Iraq rebuilt or until then guarded by US troops will be able to deter any Iranian Aggression. Iraq blocks Iran's access to oil fields in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. In terms of capability, Iran is less of a threat than Iraq was and Syria is. Its geographic proximity is not relevant as long as Iraq can remain a strong buffer. Its behavior is not even remotely suggestive in the way that Iraq's behavior was. More importantly, there have been many changes in Iran over the past 20 years. Slowly, people are getting more rights, but very slowly. There is not a single person in the Iranian government where all the power is located, unlike Iraq. There are progressives, conservatives, and moderates. Over the next 10 years there will be a huge population boom in Iran and hopefully, this youth can help bring about more change with a government that is not closed off to it, or dictitorial in the way Saddam's regime was. Like Syria, the main concern with Iran is its support for terrorism, primarily against Israel. Their nuclear ambitions are also a great concern, but again, this concern is moderated by its past behavior in regards to direct invasions and attacks on other countries, of which it has done neither unlike Iraq.

North Korea: Is a well armed Giant compared to Iraq prior to Gulf War II. Its posture is very threatening until you look at its history over the past 50 years. 50 years of no invasions of other countries. Some say geography has played a role in this and maybe it has. If thats the case, geography is not going to stop playing that role in the future. Unlike Saudi Arabia and Kuwait vs. Iraq , South Korea, China, and Russia can prevent North Korea from overruning their countries. But the fact remains that North Korea's past behavior is not threatening when compared with Iraq's past behavior. . It is a fact, even without nuclear weapons or WMD, that North Korea could kill over 200,000 South Koreans at a minimum the first day of a war. This is because 80% of North Korea's 11,000 toobs of artillery are all in range of Seoul's metropolitan area of 15 million people. Seoul is only 25 miles from the DMZ. This is the only place in the world where this unique condition exist. The artillery is well hidden in the mountains with many of the large guns protected by large hidden concrete doors that open when the weapon is ready to fire. The US military could eventually take out and destroy this artillery, but it could take several days if not weeks. The civilian loss of life in South Korea could pass a million during that time. This is without the use of Chemical, Biological or Nuclear weapons. Add those in, and the number of civilians killed jumps even higher. Because of North Korea's relatively good past behavior plus its enormous capability that could cause massive loss of life in the South in just a day, the cost of invading North Korea for outweighs the cost continueing to deter it.

To sum up none of these countries have behavior's that rise to the level of Saddam's regime.Syria,Iran are less capable than Iraq was for both military and geographic reasons. North Korea is more military capable than Iraq was, but is not geagraphically situated to do much.

Unless something were to radically change, there is not going to be any invasions of Syria, Iran, and North Korea. Iraq always was the most threatening out of all four do to its behavior,its military capability and geographic location. Saddam's regime was a unique threat to the world which is why it had to be overthrown.

Why are so many people so tied up with the pharse "his own people"? Look, we all know that Iraq is made up of many different tribes and such. But the fact that the Kurds live within Iraq's boundaries is why they are called "his own people". What if the American President gassed Hispanic Americans...wouldn't you say "The president taxed his own people" even though they aren't from the same race? Also, let's not forget that when Saddam gassed the Kurds, they weren't living in autonomy up in the north under US protected air space. That happened after the gassing.

80sU2isBest said:
Also, let's not forget that when Saddam gassed the Kurds, they weren't living in autonomy up in the north under US protected air space. That happened after the gassing.

So, when they were gassed, what did your government do? I don't remember any liberation then, it was business as usual with Iraq. That's why now, when Rumsfeld cries crocodile tears over those poor Kurds, 15 YEARS later, it all sounds just a tad hypocritical, you see.

Syria! From WSJ:

"As the major U.S. military campaign in Iraq neared a conclusion, the U.S. continued to intensify its focus on Syria, again warning Iraq's western neighbor not to harbor Iraqi leaders or hide chemical and biological weapons.

The U.S. has accused Syria several times in recent weeks of providing haven to fleeing Iraqi leaders, and possible weapons of mass destruction, while sending equipment and volunteers into help the fight against the coalition. President Bush on Sunday said he expected cooperation from the Syrians."

Unfortunately, according to most polls, people believe the most important issue in the 2004 election is the economy. and I highly doubt Americans will support a war that is just American troops. Also, Saddam Hussein is a REALLY bad guy, but most people don't know anything about Syria.

As for Bush, I really, honestly, believe this guy is not going to get past his first term. Is it good that we overthrew Saddam? yes. but I really think people are going to be tired of all this incursion crap next year when the elections roll around. Not to mention that we STILL don't have Osama.

Just remember that George Sr. went to war with Iraq 18 months before the election -- and he lost to someone most had never heard of despite a 70% approval rating during the war. Sound familiar?

Back
Top Bottom