Who Is Wrong-Father Or Son?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I know it's not earth shattering or anything but I do think it could raise some interesting issues about parental discipline/punishment (especially involving drugs) and the role material things play in that. Perhaps this wasn't the first time his "innocent little boy" smoked pot, just the first time he got caught.

Ebay listing sparks online debate about sale of 15-year-old's Christmas gift
By Claire Sibonney
Reuters
Mon., Dec. 17, 2007

TORONTO - A Canadian man who said he sold his 15-year-old son's prized video game, a Christmas gift, on eBay after catching him smoking marijuana has sparked an online debate on who is wrong — father or son.

The unidentified man decided to punish his son by selling the popular and hard-to-find Guitar Hero III videogame he had bought him for Christmas for $90 on the auction site where an Australian buyer bid $9,100. It was not known if the sale at that price actually proceeded.

"I had finally got the Holy Grail of Xmas presents pretty much just in the nick of time. I couldn't wait to spread the jubilance to my son," the father said in a letter accompanying the posting on eBay.

"Then, yesterday, I came home from work early and what do I find? My innocent little boy smoking pot in the backyard with two of his delinquent friends."

The seller, who describes himself as an elementary school teacher but could not be contacted to verify his story, said that by selling the game he intended to teach his son a lesson.

But whether true or not, the five-day auction, that ended on Dec 10, elicited more than a 100 comments.

Some sided with the disgruntled father and others accusing him of "publicly humiliating" his son.

The father has since updated the posting with more responses to the feedback, including accusations that the sale was a hoax.

"All I can do is assure you that yes, the auction is real," he said on the site.

No one from eBay was available to comment.

"I am still considering getting him a game for his Nintendo. Maybe something like Barbie," added the father.

This is a problem.

On the one hand, the father had a right to discipline his son for breaking the law.

On the other hand, the father probably has a gun in the house.......

The father was wrong in the way he handled the situation. He could have told his son, listen clean up your act and knock this crap off. When I see that you have, then you can have your guitar hero.

To sell it on ebay and make money off of it, and put your private family matters out their was just wrong.

This is just a weird story on many levels. My biggest question is why would anyone bid up to $9100 for Guitar Hero? To do that, you have to be bat shit crazy. The father did a great job of promoting the auction and he should probably be thankful his son smoked pot and netted him a huge profit.

Hmm...I guess smoking pot does pay! :lmao:

It's a video game -- kid can get another one pretty easily (especially once a couple of months pass). I seriously doubt it's going to stop him from smoking pot -- and now he'll have more time for it since he won't be playing Guitar Hero! :D

MrsSpringsteen said:
How should parents deal with their kids using drugs? Does taking material things away work? That's the bigger issue.

Each kid is different, and each needs a different deterrent.

nathan1977 said:

Each kid is different, and each needs a different deterrent.

True of course and a very good point, but in general wouldn't having an open and honest conversation about drugs be more effective than selling Guitar Hero on EBay? Of course sometimes kids will still do drugs anyway either way. I don't know, I don't have kids but that's my instinct. I get it, take away privileges and goodies and all that- but in the long run I think there are more effective methods when it comes to drugs. I think taking away material things works better for more minor issues.

There is no indication that this was the only measure taken, or that he didn't have a long talk with his son. It's sad that the father posted the reasons as now the public feels to have a say in how he raises his child, or whether the selling was appropriate, when they in fact they shouldn't have in a case like this.

AchtungBono said:
[BOn the other hand, the father probably has a gun in the house....... [/B]

Oh I know, those gun-crazed Canadians :)

I honestly don't see how anyone can criticize the dad, at all. I mean, I guess you can assume a certain amount of naivete based on the comment about his "innocent boy and delinquent friends" but he'd be far from the first parent to assume their own child's wrongdoing is their friends' fault. Let it be a lesson to him...you smoke pot, something gets taken away.

What's he supposed to do? He's 15 years old...a bit old for a time-out or a spanking.

And I'm guessing the $9100 bid is fake.

Sitting in the back yard, smoking pot - not knowing when dad might pop in. Neighbors could have been calling the cops...honestly this kid doesn't have enough sense to be smoking pot.
I would have kept the game and made him have to pass a drug test before handing it over. At 15 you can't threaten anymore, it just won't work in most cases. May as well give him an idea of how he's going to be treated when he get's busted. Which will be worse, of course.

Um, it's not the dad's fault someone was willing to pay 100 times as much for the game!! Personally, I think it was well played! :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I blame the guy who sold the kid the pot.

Yeah, that's right, I went there.

But it wasn't his, it was his friend's (or is it friends', how many pot-smokers were there?) pot. Bunch of miscreants, corrupting his sweet little boy.

They're both to blame. The son was wrong because he shouldn't have been smoking weed. The father was wrong for completely going over-the-top. As an adult, he should've taken the high road and just held off giving him the game until he felt his son had learned his lesson. Instead, he chose to air their dirty laundry in public.
That's great and all that he allegedly sold the game to some loser for 9K, but bottom line, the dad's the real loser. He should've known better, but he didn't. Sounds like dad is the one who could use the joint.

I can't imagine playing Guitar Hero III on pot. You have to have incredible reflexes once you up the difficulty level.

Back
Top Bottom