Who Here is a Christian? bLinD fAiTh rEbeLs :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:wave: If I had to sumarize my entire faith in just a few statements....

Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, (a) am not my own, (b) but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; (c) who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, (d) and delivered me from all the power of the devil; (e) and so preserves me (f) that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; (g) yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, (h) and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, (i) and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him. (j)

I've spent the last few years studying religion and Scripture, trying to be skeptical and cynical, but I've found nothing that disproves the existence of a God. I feel (not just think, but feel), that there are certain things in life and in creation that logic and science cannot acocunt for. And since logic and science are human methods, obviously they could never be useful tools for proving the existence of or describing the nature of a God. What's left then? Blind faith. :shrug:

well some would argue that to have any faith at all is to promote "blindness".

that's why it's called faith in the first place.

but there's a whole other avenue to this that i really don't want to get into now.

I don't believe in Christianity, but in God. It's just a religion between a lot of others anyway, with its rituals and ceremonies, particular added beliefs to make it supposly different from the others. Why being limited in one view of the world ? Change glasses and you'll see the world is as beautiful, and you'll maybe discover new colors things you never thought existed ;)

Interesting thought. Blind faith is something I don’t understand and honestly something if I could choose I’d want more of. I’m at a weird place right now with faith, I know I believe something but I’m still working out the details and what it means in my life I wrote about it in another thread in the goal is soul. Right now what I hold onto is a quote I read awhile back by Thomas Morton, “if you find God with great ease, perhaps it is not God that you have found”. I sure as heck have not found it easy to have even the small amount of faith that I have, but I have a think that there is something to come of this struggle. I’ve had a friend look at me like I had two heads once when I tried to ask her real questions about her faith, questions like are you sure you really believe in God, how do you know your not just on auto pilot from your childhood, what difference does it make in your life. I never want to be like that, I want to make sure that if I say I believe in this crazy faith that I really do, and if I don’t that I say so and, where I have questions I’m honest about them. Ok so I guess I take back wanting to be able to have blind faith, but I would like to be able to have secure complete faith in God.

vervex said:
I don't believe in Christianity, but in God. It's just a religion between a lot of others anyway, with its rituals and ceremonies, particular added beliefs to make it supposly different from the others. Why being limited in one view of the world ? Change glasses and you'll see the world is as beautiful, and you'll maybe discover new colors things you never thought existed ;)

That was beautiful and very well said.

Thank you.

btw - I'm Jewish......lol.

Blind Faith, as I have always believed, is when someone just claims they are of a certain belief or religion because their environment, either inadvertantly or deliberately forces (or brainwashes) certain ideas into them.

Like, for instance, if you are brought up in a fundamentalist Catholic or fundamentalist Man Utd FC supporting surroundings (eg. all your family is hardcore and one-eyed about a particular religion or organisation or belief), it would almost be impossible for some believers or followers to objectively consider any of the other faiths or clubs.

Blind Faith, as I have always believed, is when someone just claims they are of a certain belief or religion because their environment, either inadvertantly or deliberately forces (or brainwashes) certain ideas into them.

Like, for instance, if you are brought up in a fundamentalist Catholic or fundamentalist Man Utd FC supporting surroundings (eg. all your family is hardcore and one-eyed about a particular religion or organisation or belief), it would almost be impossible for some believers or followers to objectively consider any of the other faiths or clubs.

It can often lead to prejudice and bigotry....

This is just how I have viewed Blind Faith

I can't accept that science can explain the people I love. I can't boil them down to simple chemicals. I believe that is one place where I can find God.

intedomine said:

It can often lead to prejudice and bigotry....

This is just how I have viewed Blind Faith

:eyebrow: So you define blind faith as only when people take on the same faith they grew up in? How would you describe the faith of a nontheist that converts to Christianity? or any other type of convert, like a Buddhist or Muslim?

I don't see how one can be ANY type of Christian...or really belong to any religion believing in a god...without some element of blind faith.

I disagree w/ your interpretation b/c it sounds like you're defining someone blinding belonging to a certain religion or religious denomination, not the individual faith that person holds. Yes, you can definitely "blindly" belong to a certain group, like a lot of my peers will say they are Calvinist Christian Reformed without a true understanding of what that really means, but that's not faith, that's ignorance. Blind faith is believing in a god without any expectation of what humans generally accept as "proof".

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:eyebrow: So you define blind faith as only when people take on the same faith they grew up in? How would you describe the faith of a nontheist that converts to Christianity? or any other type of convert, like a Buddhist or Muslim?

I don't see how one can be ANY type of Christian...or really belong to any religion believing in a god...without some element of blind faith.

I disagree w/ your interpretation b/c it sounds like you're defining someone blinding belonging to a certain religion or religious denomination, not the individual faith that person holds. Yes, you can definitely "blindly" belong to a certain group, like a lot of my peers will say they are Calvinist Christian Reformed without a true understanding of what that really means, but that's not faith, that's ignorance. Blind faith is believing in a god without any expectation of what humans generally accept as "proof".

I agree with you. Someone people simply change religions, that can happen. But intedomine is right when talking about being born and introduced by the parents to a certain religion. Before you have the age to say a complete sentence, you're already baptised and are taught what the religion of your parents is, and you are told it's the right one, to believe in it. It happened to me. My parents weren't religious that much but I had at school religion courses, in the 90s. I've also met a girl. She's what we call here in french "témoin de jéhova". I don't know the translation, excuse me... But she is sure Adam and Eve walked on earth, disregard evolution principles and celebrations like Christmas and her own birthday because they're pagan. Here I'm not criticizing her, but just showing a fact : she was born and educated like that. She had never known nor explored any other religion, and since her parents and maybe family always told her it was true, with or without arguments, she believes blindly in them. Eve met a snake and bit in the apple with Adam. Even that metaphorical story she believes in. That's that I think is sad about blind faith sometimes... Some people are still trapped in total ignorance.

But faith, like you said LivLuv, can be gained later. I embrace Oriental religions more than occidental ones now that I'm older. And I'm glad I have this intellectualy curiosity, or, like I said in a previous post, I'd miss a lot of things :)

:wave: If I had to sumarize my entire faith in just a few statements....

Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, (a) am not my own, (b) but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; (c) who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, (d) and delivered me from all the power of the devil; (e) and so preserves me (f) that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; (g) yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, (h) and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, (i) and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him. (j)

If it's no too personal.....

could you tell me what that means to you? I suppose I am most curious about how you interpret those words.

I believe that because something (in this case the existence of God) is unfalsifiable (cannot be proven false) doesn't mean it's TRUE, I think some people really should understand this. It's like saying 'prove ur not massaging a monkeys balls in front of u now.' 'Umm..how?! There's nothing there!' 'But you can't PROVE your not doing it! Pervert!'
So trying to approve of something of which their is no evidence disproving or working in favour of the act is indeed futile. And it doesn't automatically render the subject in question true obviously, which some people's logic seems to default to in this case.

Ok I briefly read the thread, we're talking about 'blind faith,' something I will never be able to comprehend as I guess reason doesn't come into it. (which '''''GOD'''''' supposedly gave to us, but some people don't utilize effectively)

Iìm a Roman Catholic from Italy (now THAT's coherence!:wink: [I'm joking okay?]).
I wish to share a thought: when I've been to Africa lately I found out how just in our cities and with our technologies we can say that God doesn't exist or anything...if you go out, if you reallly go out in the wildest Nature, you can feel a strenght in Nature, something bigger than you that you cannot explain...
I something think that cities are temple (or castle) made to protect ourselves from what we don't understand...but we at the end shouldn't be scared at all, we belong to the force of Creation,
whatever name you call It...
I call it God,
I call it Jesus,
and I thank Christ for renewing the Alliance between God and us.

Ciao,
Tom

tommyvill said:
Iìm a Roman Catholic from Italy (now THAT's coherence!:wink: [I'm joking okay?]).
I wish to share a thought: when I've been to Africa lately I found out how just in our cities and with our technologies we can say that God doesn't exist or anything...if you go out, if you reallly go out in the wildest Nature, you can feel a strenght in Nature, something bigger than you that you cannot explain...
I something think that cities are temple (or castle) made to protect ourselves from what we don't understand...but we at the end shouldn't be scared at all, we belong to the force of Creation,
whatever name you call It...
I call it God,
I call it Jesus,
and I thank Christ for renewing the Alliance between God and us.

Ciao,
Tom

I completely agree. Like I said in another thread recently, when I was in Africa, swimming in Lake Victoria was by far the farthest from my own "reality" I've ever felt, and the closest to God.

AussieU2fanman said:
I believe that because something (in this case the existence of God) is unfalsifiable (cannot be proven false) doesn't mean it's TRUE, I think some people really should understand this. It's like saying 'prove ur not massaging a monkeys balls in front of u now.' 'Umm..how?! There's nothing there!' 'But you can't PROVE your not doing it! Pervert!'
So trying to approve of something of which their is no evidence disproving or working in favour of the act is indeed futile. And it doesn't automatically render the subject in question true obviously, which some people's logic seems to default to in this case.

I think the problem with this logic, or "login" in general, is that it's an entirely human process. Regardless of whether or not God does exist, if He did, do you really think that humans would have the smarts to prove it based on merely human thought processes? I hope not!

For Honor said:

If it's no too personal.....

could you tell me what that means to you? I suppose I am most curious about how you interpret those words.

Pretty much exactly what it says. Christianity to me = belief in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; the only way to God is through His Grace (not our own choice or actions). Of course, my own personal theology is a LOT more specific, but I offered the Heidelberg Cat. Q&A1 as a very simple summary of how I would describe Christianity to a non-Christian. It's not too personal, ask more if you need clarification...

I think the problem with this logic, or "login" in general, is that it's an entirely human process. Regardless of whether or not God does exist, if He did, do you really think that humans would have the smarts to prove it based on merely human thought processes? I hope not!

Is 'login' a typo? You wrote it perfectly 2 words before, and 'n' is nowhere near 'c' to be typo-worthy.
But yeh that's why I said in the next post it comes to blind faith, usually ignited by tempoary sources of inspiration (ur African experiences etc. etc.) which you interperate as some divine enlightening from 'GOD'. I can understand the types of feelings you're trying to convey with these situations, I've experienced these types of feelings before, but I isolate them to simple (well, extremely complex) neuromatics.

AussieU2fanman said:

Is 'login' a typo? You wrote it perfectly 2 words before, and 'n' is nowhere near 'c' to be typo-worthy.
But yeh that's why I said in the next post it comes to blind faith, usually ignited by tempoary sources of inspiration (ur African experiences etc. etc.) which you interperate as some divine enlightening from 'GOD'. I can understand the types of feelings you're trying to convey with these situations, I've experienced these types of feelings before, but I isolate them to simple (well, extremely complex) neuromatics.

Thanks, yes, I type the word "login" probably 100 times a day at work but I meant "logic". :huh: I need more than 3.5 hrs of sleep before a 9 hr work day.

I don't think you can examine "blind faith" outside of the context of the existence of God. Or rather, it doesn't really make sense to debate the existence of God in the context of blind faith (to me at least). I don't think the original poster's intention was to debate whether not a God exists. I guess my example (Africa) is confusing b/c I didn't mean that as an example of blind faith. I don't think you really can have examples of blind faith, b/c for it to really be "faith" and completely "blind", it's totally up to the individual and isn't based on any feelings or proof of God's existence.

"Blind Faith" can essentially mean two different things:

For a believer, the meaning is captured by Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Faith, by definition, is "blind".

The word can also be used as a slur to dismiss the faith of the believer.

tommyvill said:

There is a lot to your statement here. It is my impression that there are churches in Africa that are much stronger that those in the United States - to the point that the African churches speak of sending missionaries to the US.

nbcrusader said:
"Blind Faith" can essentially mean two different things:

For a believer, the meaning is captured by Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Faith, by definition, is "blind".

The word can also be used as a slur to dismiss the faith of the believer.

To me the difference between faith and blind faith is the means to which we get there.

how is it rebellious to be a christian?

it's easily the world's most successful religion, and richest, and with the enticing promise of eternal life, it seems like an offer one can't refuse, and in the west, particularly in the US, Christians are the most protected, powerful, politically and culturally influential group of believers ever in the history of the world.

Irvine511 said:
how is it rebellious to be a christian?

it's easily the world's most successful religion, and richest, and with the enticing promise of eternal life, it seems like an offer one can't refuse, and in the west, particularly in the US, Christians are the most protected, powerful, politically and culturally influential group of believers ever in the history of the world.

Jesus' teaching was radical at its time as it is today. The simple act of speaking to a Samaritan women blew away all the social norms of the day.

Today, the whole concept of of Grace goes against all of our worldly teachings (we want to earn it!!). A God centered life is not sold to us by the world.

I'm not sure your stereotype of the Christian life holds true as well - otherwise who wouldn't be a Christian?

nbcrusader said:
Jesus' teaching was radical at its time as it is today. The simple act of speaking to a Samaritan women blew away all the social norms of the day.

And, yet, most of His current followers have progressed little since then, due to their literal, essentialist fervor.

Today, the whole concept of of Grace goes against all of our worldly teachings (we want to earn it!!). A God centered life is not sold to us by the world.

The concept of grace owes most of its origins to St. Paul than Jesus. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom