Who are you planning on voting for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
As an independant voter in the state of Massachusetts, I have the ability to vote in either primary.

In this case, I am convinced that there are two people I may potentially vote for.

Rudy or Obama.

I believe today based on all that I have read that I am going to register to vote in the Democratic primary and vote for Obama.

All of this may change, but I like more and more what I am seeing from Obama.

ANy thoughts?

[Q]To make the government more accountable, Obama said he would post all non-emergency bills online for five days before he signed them into law, allowing Americans a chance to weigh in on the legislation. In addition, he said he would post all meetings between lobbyists and government agencies online.

Obama said he would require Cabinet officials to speak to Americans via national broadband town-hall style meetings to discuss issues at their agencies. He also pledged to issue an executive order that information about the government's operations must be released to those seeking it unless it could harm a protected interest.

Obama cited his record of backing ethics and lobbying reforms, including co-authoring a bill that requires all government spending to be posted online - allowing anyone to do a simple Internet search and find that information. He said that during his time as a state lawmaker he helped to create hospital report cards so that patients could understand the quality of care offered at each hospital.[/Q]

God I love this!

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

I like more and more what I am seeing from Obama.

May I ask why? Seems to me that he has stuck his foot in his mouth multiple times over the last 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck getting him the nomination though. He'll need it.

I plan on electing Rudy Giuliani the next President of the United States. For the most part right now I am a one issue guy- terrorism. Whoever's position on the War on Terror I like best will get my vote. That guy is Rudy. I love his whole "stay on offense" theme.

ETA: If you like Obama for his stances, fine. Just please dont tell me you're going to vote for him because he is black and/or cute and/or a good speaker. That crowd makes me fear the future of politics.

Last edited:
martha said:
Dennis K. The only one with guts enough to support marriage equality.

exactly. i'm tired of gov't sanctioned discrimination. and seriously, if we want some improvement in our economy it is about friggin time we get rid of nafta and wto.

i liked obama before he ran for president. now i don't care much for his policy. i guess now when we have to listen to him discuss his platform i have to actually pay attention instead of drool and look on with starry eyes.

In my state I can't vote in either primary because I'm a registered independent but in the general election, I'm probably going to support Hillary. If I could vote in the Democratic primary I'd vote for Biden. If I had a vote in the Republican primary, I'd vote for Ron Paul.

Overall, I like Biden the most, followed by Hillary Clinton.

Re: Re: Who are you planning on voting for?

2861U2 said:

May I ask why? Seems to me that he has stuck his foot in his mouth multiple times over the last 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck getting him the nomination though. He'll need it.

ETA: If you like Obama for his stances, fine. Just please dont tell me you're going to vote for him because he is black and/or cute and/or a good speaker. That crowd makes me fear the future of politics.

I have a reputation in here for liking someone because of their color.

I like that he has stuck his foot in his mouth. He is new and fresh and has ideas that resonate....change.

And that is important to me at this point.

usprimaries_2007.png

A_Wanderer said:
Ditto, except I include Labor, Greens, Democrats etc.

Ditto, too, though as our vote is forced to 'count', mine is clearly not going anywhere of value - so it becomes a moral vote more than anything. And for this, I am still undecided where my precious one vote is going!

Re: Re: Re: Who are you planning on voting for?

Dreadsox said:

I have a reputation in here for liking someone because of their color.

:lol:

Good to see you back Dread...

I'm still very undecided. Obama is exciting, I lived in Chicago when he was elected and he did some really great fresh things...

I will be casting an absentee ballot for Obama, based on what I've seen at this point. I'm not worried about a lack of foreign policy experience when his team could surround him with the best minds in the country as a president-elect.

Guliani scares the shit out of me, frankly. He entire campaign seems to be based on the fact that people all over America think that their small, shitty suburban communities actually have a chance in hell of being attacked by Al Queida. I am NOT comfortable with his dangerously authoritarian, big-brother mentality that keep cropping up in speeches. If he gets into office, then whoever voted for him deserves all the reductions in civil liberties they get, after all this crap over the last 8 years already failed to get them to wake up.

Too bad Biden doesnt have a prayer. If he actually got the nod, and Rudy wasnt the Republican nominee, I wouldnt almost consider voting for him. I like a few of his positions. :ohmy:

Canadiens1160 said:
I'm not worried about a lack of foreign policy experience when his team could surround him with the best minds in the country as a president-elect.

So it's ok that Obama wants to bomb Pakistan and never ever use nuclear weapons as long as we surround him with people who will talk him out of it? That's waaay too risky. That's not the kind of person I want running the War on Terror.

Rudy is far too authoritarian, as much as I disagree with him I think that Ron Paul would be a good choice.

2861U2 said:

So it's ok that Obama wants to bomb Pakistan and never ever use nuclear weapons as long as we surround him with people who will talk him out of it? That's waaay too risky. That's not the kind of person I want running the War on Terror.

What does this even mean?

What's risky is people who think the only way to end terrorism is killing more people. That's not the way to wipe out terrorism.

Canadiens1160 said:

Guliani scares the shit out of me, frankly. He entire campaign seems to be based on the fact that people all over America think that their small, shitty suburban communities actually have a chance in hell of being attacked by Al Queida. I am NOT comfortable with his dangerously authoritarian, big-brother mentality that keep cropping up in speeches. If he gets into office, then whoever voted for him deserves all the reductions in civil liberties they get, after all this crap over the last 8 years already failed to get them to wake up.

:applaud:

precisely.

i have no idea who i'd vote for, but i am happy to say that i am warming up to HRC, who at this point seems both the likely nominee and the winner.

I'm leaning towards Hillary myself, actually, although I'm rightfully skeptical of all of them. Hillary has impressed me as having the greatest command of the issues, coupled with a good dose of reality. And, if you can imagine it, I came into this campaign quite cynical of her. Still, as I see it, there's lots of time, and I'm going to evaluate all the candidates again later.

Obama has not impressed me at all, as he has struck me as someone that is too naive and inexperienced for the position. He has said far too many things that have made me wonder if he's all there.

Kucinich....well, perhaps this has to do with where I am in my life right now, but he's far too liberal for me--although I hope his steadfast support for gay marriage rubs off onto the rest of the candidates (and looking at how the Democratic Party is more at ease with talking about gay issues is quite a change from 2004 or even 2006). That aside, I'm not a one-issue candidate, and I wouldn't be comfortable with him as our president.

On that note, Kucinich is better than the entire GOP field, who are all a fucking joke. None of them have shown even a cursory example of being in command of the issues, and when they do talk, they come across as crazy. And Giuliani? His decision to pander to the far-right, instead of where he really stands (as a New York-style "Rockefeller Republican") makes me think that he lacks the integrity necessary to be president. And the rest of them? They're either delusional (McCain) or completely insane (the rest of them). God help us all if anyone in the GOP field becomes president!

On Feb 5th, I will be voting in the GOP primary.

I may vote for McCain. I won't vote for Giulliani.

In the November general election, I expect to vote for the Democratic candidate.

And I expect that to be Hillary.

melon said:

Obama has not impressed me at all, as he has struck me as someone that is too naive and inexperienced for the position. He has said far too many things that have made me wonder if he's all there.

"I have a bunch of friends who were state lobbyists. The fact of the matter is ... I played poker with them, so I don't think that lobbyists are evil," said the first-term Illinois senator. "I just think they've got an agenda and you got to be clear about that, and not pretend that they don't."

"Why else are they getting hired and making all this money unless they're actually getting something done?"
So his poker pals are lobbyists.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

HRC, who at this point seems the winner.

I still dont get why people automatically assumes she will win. Every poll I've seen head-to-head with Rudy is very close. A quick sweep of some recent polls show:

Opinion Dynamics Corp: Rudy by 3
Battleground: Rudy by 6
NBC/WSJ: Clinton by 6
Quinnipiac: Clinton by 3
Rasmussen: Rudy by 1

And they are currently tied 43-all in Ohio.

2861U2 said:

I still dont get why people automatically assumes she will win. Every poll I've seen head-to-head with Rudy is very close. A quick sweep of some recent polls show:

Opinion Dynamics Corp: Rudy by 3
Battleground: Rudy by 6
NBC/WSJ: Clinton by 6
Quinnipiac: Clinton by 3
Rasmussen: Rudy by 1

And they are currently tied 43-all in Ohio.

most Americans, especially the Republican base, aren't terribly familiar with Rudy.

*everybody* knows HRC.

but we can agree that it is way, way early.

i'm not saying that HRC is necessarily my choice. i am saying that things are looking good for her right now, and i'm feeling okay with that.

2861U2 said:

:lmao: That's a good one. I haven't heard that one yet.

That entire paragraph of yours was ridiculously incorrect.

as a point of advice: you're not going to get very far unless you can point out why someone is "ridiculously incorrect."

Back
Top Bottom