Which is the most important musical movement of the 20th century??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemon child

Babyface
Help me to get my schoolarship!!I have to write an essay on which, according to my view, its the most important type of music of this century. I have some ideas, but I need a solid argument to make my mind. Ill be glad to take any opinions. Thanks!!

Almost undoubtedly, it has to be jazz.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

You mean like...rock, jazz, blues, etc.?

I'm gonna go with rock, but then I'm just biased.
biggrin.gif

jazz because so many styles came out of it. rap, rock, hip hop, etc all came out of jazz

------------------
He who stands atop the highest mountain can see the farthest

Jazz, without a doubt.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

What about blues?
As BBKing said "its the mother of all forms of music, the fountain". Jazz and rock came out of it. And historically, the blues have marked, not only the liberation of afroamericans from slavery, but also some of the first feminist manifestations in the century.Also it is said that blues music helped black and white people to get together.

are you ppl on acid or what!?! ....of course its COUNTRY! .......KIDDING! don't kill me.

no but really, HELLO! ROCK, BABY, ITS ROCK!
biggrin.gif

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

[This message has been edited by U2002revolution! (edited 04-02-2002).]

As influential as Blues was, Jazz was even more so. Many who say they are influenced by the Blues actually owe more of a debt to Jazz.

Jazz was also not as limited as the blues and expanded out into many, many different areas. Also, unlike the blues, Jazz has continued to morph and change in significant ways.

If it's this century, it's Jazz.

Beyond music, Jazz came to influence culture heavily, especially in America. In particular, the "Jazz Age". The Jazz age gave america a vocabulary and mind set that, with the exception of a a few cluster of years here and there, I don't think we've ever grown out of.

As for rock. Anything rock can give you, Jazz and blues have already given. not to diminish rock and roll(it is what I listen to most). Rock's ideas of self expresion through music all came from the Blues and Jazz.

And while their may be argument forit's influence socially, It's my opinion that it's social shifts(namely the 60's flower Power) were all rooted in the Jazz Age.

Both Jazz and Blues were crucial to the development of rock. However, rock music, by fusing all these influences and making them accessible to the masses, transformed what was an isolated musical movement into a cultural phenomenon. IMHO, of course...

and in my humble opinion, Jazz was cultural phenom, especially in the "Jazz Age".

This argument could go in circles of course, but here's a few things to think about.

Where would the beat poets be without Jazz?

Where would Bob Dylan without the beats?

where would the Beatles be without Dylan?

where would rock be without the Beatles?

Rock before the Beatles's Revolver and Rubber Soul was a whole different animal altogether.

I personally don't think the label Rock is enough fo rthe various forms of music that are placed over. We're talkign about a huge range of differnt types of music.

Jazz, except for some fringes, never splintered the way rock and roll did. It's both a problem and prop for Jazz's continued progression and relevence.

I would say blues, only becasue Rock'n'Roll really did start out being hugely influenced by this style of music- just listen to those 1950s stars like Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Buddy Holly and they are playing the blues, nearly all of Holly's songs were basic 12 bar blues riffs and then listen to early British bands like the Stones and Yardbirds and it is all blues- so yeah I say the blues
smile.gif

Obviously disco without it we wouldn?t have the greatest U2 song of all time "Discotheque"

Back
Top Bottom