Where do you primarily get your news from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always have 4 news windows up - Boston Globe for local and sports, BBC for an international angle (sorta), NY Times and Washington Post. I read the Times as a hard copy on week days cause it's available free on campus. I get gossip and meta-media news and entertainment from Gawker. My screen name identifies me as a u2 fan.

Basically Spiegel.de and this forum. :)
I should read more newspapers, especially the Financial Times, but I'm too lazy and that takes so long.

philly.com is my home page (Inquirer and Daily News), and sometimes CNN.com, sometimes here.

New Zealand: Stuff.co.nz and the New Zealand Herald; when I'm actually in New Zealand, I read The Dominion though it's not as good as it used to be. If in the South Island, I pick up The (Christchurch) Press or the Otago Daily Times.

Australia: Primarily SBS, both on TV and their news website. I also read The Age. To hell with anything on news.com.au and its associated newspapers!

International: Along with the aforementioned Kiwi/Aussie sites, I also tend to favour the BBC.

A few newspapers, CNN, occasionally ABC News, MSNBC, I watch FOX occasionally before I have to change the channel in amused disgust, local TV news. Internet

did that dude call you last night too?
"we're conducting a survey, it will only take a few minutes"
took 20 minutes!!!!!!! :angry:

anyway, after most major news network web sites decided to exploit my campus tragedy by plastering scary pictures of the shooter pointing his gun in my face ALL OVER the front page of their stupid web sites, i don't go to those sites anymore.

so i just mainly get my news from bbc, democracy now, and here.

TV- mostly Fox News, but of course I occasionally check all the others

Internet- Fox News, CNN, occasionally Drudge Report for some of the more obscure stories.

CNN, MSNBC, NBC Nightly News, washingtonpost.com, NYtimes.com, as well as various local papers.

How could I forget, I also read BBC and occasionally some of the British papers.

Last edited:
CNN, FOX News, and CBC.

Some people might be amused by that combination.

U2democrat said:
I have to say that I am. At least you get both sides. :shrug:

To be honest, it has mostly to do with the nature of my work in news, coupled with the inherent cynicism that comes with working in this industry over any lengthy period of time.

CNN and FOX News are like two sides of the same coin, in terms of histrionic populist hysteria, so watching both helps me take the pulse of the state of U.S. media today, while CBC is probably my favorite outlet for news altogether--even over BBC. That's not to say that CBC is perfect, but it's more "global" POV suits me more than the tendency for U.S. media to be insular and ignore/overgeneralize about the rest of the world--not to mention that the in-depth, rather lengthy news coverage you get from it vastly surpasses anything that you'd ever get in the U.S.

my main source is probably NPR. and if i ever watch a newscast, it's either BBC or PBS.

online, NYT, WP, LAT are my major newspapers, and i read the little trashy "digest" the WP gives out for free on the Metro every morning, which isn't a bad way to debrief yourself.

online, i also visit a whole bunch of blogs, from Drudge to the Huffington Post to Sullivan to the (terrifying) Malkin to Townhall.com to DailyKos to JuanCole.com to wherever else the links take me.

if i'm watching primetime cable and their personality driven infotainment combat shows, i watch Chris Matthews, Keith Oberman, and Anderson Cooper. i can't be in the same room with Bill O'Reily and/or Sean Hannity for more than :45 seconds or so.

In the mornings its CNN or the Today show, and NY 1 News for the local stuff.

In the afternoon, CNN.

At night, ABC

When I'm online, its the Drudge Report, Yahoo! and here

Almost entirely online. Among major newspapers I read the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and Los Angeles Times daily. I also like the Christian Science Monitor (which is a 'news feature' paper rather than a conventional newspaper), and BBC for the scope of their international coverage (though I generally find their actual articles disappointingly short and shallow). I'm not much interested in blogs, and when I do look at them, usually find the comments more interesting than the actual entries. I pretty much never watch TV news, and while I do like NPR, I don't really have much time to listen to it (or perhaps more correctly, I'd rather read news than hear it, given the choice).

I don't read them regularly, but the Globe and Mail (Toronto), Independent (London), and Age (Melbourne) are among my favorite English-language papers outside the US.

If I'm highly interested in some particular story, I like to look it up on Google News and skim though the queue of articles they have on it--no two articles present the same set of facts, and you never know where the tidbit that suddenly makes some previously puzzling aspect of the story clear to you might pop up.

For professional reasons I also read several of the major Indian and Pakistani papers daily.

Last edited:
I listen to NPR quite a bit and read MSNBC online. As far as TV news, I watch either CNN or MSNBC, but except for Countdown with Keith Olbermann that's mainly only for big breaking news stories like the Minneapolis bridge collapse. There's a couple of political blogs I check out as well. I also read Time and Newsweek sometimes if I'm at the library. (Somehow reading them online isn't the same as actually holding a physical copy).

I simply don't have the stomach to watch Fox News, unless I'm visiting my parents - and even then it's hard for me to stay in the room when they have it on.

(Edited to add I discovered CNN International when I was in Italy and was very impressed. I wish my cable system carried it because it beats the living crap out of regular CNN).

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

and i read the little trashy "digest" the WP gives out for free on the Metro every morning, which isn't a bad way to debrief yourself.

How could I forget, on top of my websites, when I'm not at school and therefore in a city, I read the Metro, which is awful and has an easy sudoku but is a good digest.

When I'm not at school I also get news from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

And this semester I started waking up to BBC World News on the radio. They always have interesting, in depth stories about a current situation and it helps my brain come alive.

Would it be shameful to admitt that my primary source for the latest news is:

Free Your Mind. :reject:

If there's not a thread on it here, chances are I don't know about it.

I read TIME cover to cover each week as well.

We get FoxNews here but I never watch it. My wife watches the version of CNN we get out here (CNN Asia) and I'll glance in on that occasionally. I dont' really watch much TV at all. (Even Survivor I've taken to watching online so I don't have to wait a week and a day for the new episodes to air here).

Printed press - there's a newspaper called "Israeli" that is handed out free at the train stations in Israel - I read that every morning.

TV news - Fox news.....(but you knew that already, right?...lol).

Internet news - MSN and MSN Israel.

I also get news flashes on my mobile phone from Israel channel 2.

So as you can see, I'm a news-a-holic.....heehee.

I watch the local news at least every other night (5-6 or 6:30ish). At work we have a "wall board" which is a huge flat panel TV that displays phone stats, network stats, and outages or emergency info, but in the bottom left corner there is feed from CNN through a cable connection, so I glance at that or a co-worker will say "whoa look!" and everyone will watch or go to cnn.com for more info. If something major is going on, I will check cnn.com or msnbc.com throughout the day. My main sources for actual discussion of news are here in FYM and another forum I frequent.

Back
Top Bottom