What's your God like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
I've been thinking about this for awhile and wasn't sure if I wanted to post it, but I think it could be an interesting thread.

I was inspired by all the talk about the "Passion" and thinking about the huge differences in the portrayals of Christ throughout the years on film.

Tell me what your God is like? Does your religion have one central being which it's based on? Whoever or whatever this being is you worship explain what you think they would be like if they were to take human form today. Describe their personality if you met them in person. A powerful politician or an artist? Bold or passive? Are they funny? What are your thoughts.

This isn't a thread to debate religion, but one of finding out how everyone percieves the one they worship or pray to.

Last edited:
Compassionate

Tolerant

Loving

Charitable

One who does not care what someone claims
but cares more about how we treat others

The only side he is on

Is the side of Love

Just a word of caution BonoVoxSuperstar. I know its just a typo but I know some Muslims might be offended by something saying that they worship Muhammed. Like I said I'm sure you didn't mena to offend, but you probably should correct that.

Give me a bit to think about what words to use to describe my view of God.

I dont have a god but if I did he/she would be consistent - kind, caring, fair and equal and more interfering (sort out Palestine/Israel, N Ireland/Eire etc).

Good idea for a thread-I'm gonna like reading other people's descriptions.

Let's see here...

The God I believe in is loving, caring, and accepts people for who they are. The only people he ever has a problem with are those who hurt and kill their fellow man for no reason. When it comes to the serious issues of the world, he'd have a lot to say, I'm quite sure-he'd definitely be an activist, working to make this world a better place. But since he's not here in human form, he uses other ways to let people know how he feels. He lets everyone find their own way to him, too.

I do think he's got a fun side to him, too, though...kinda has that fun, kindly grandfather quality to him (for some reason, I've always pictured him as an elderly person), has a good sense of humor about certain things, would enjoy all the forms of entertainment that are out there. He'd be an interesting one to talk to, should he ever take human form.

Angela

From what I believe in the Bible:

God is slow to anger.
God is just and merciful and sovereign.
God exists outside of time and space, and yet is ubiquitous.
God is active and works here on earth.
God does speak to us who are willing to listen.
God relates to us (He's not some computer program or aloof supreme being).
God keeps his promises (though it doesn't necessarily turn out the way we'd like).
God never gives up on us.
God is the same, yesterday today and forever.

Now how I relate to God is a whole other issue... between me and Him

Last edited:
Sometimes I think that God is in fact the collective human consciousnesss, which might explain why he/she/it is capable of such great cruelty as well as love.

I don't mean that in a flippant way either, as I certainly do believe in the existence of some higher being... but at the same time I wonder if we are 'it'. They say if you're looking for Jesus you should find him (or shades of him) in the people around you. You certainly won't find him in the sky.

random fact: did you know that the fraction of the universe cosmologists have captured in picture, looks like a form of a human being?

(learned that at UCLA astronomy class in freshman year.)

I imagine a supreme intellectual, who created His universe on strict and unbending scientific laws. One who knew the beauty of free will, while understanding that freedom can bring either goodness or evil, and to predispose us to one or the other would defeat the purpose of free will. I imagine a God who has generally left us on our own, but communicates to us in His own, non-obvious manner. I also imagine that each of us has our own individual lesson to learn in life, and that it is up to us to discover what that lesson is. And in such non-obvious order, I see the beauty and complexity that is God, knowing that what we want is not necessarily for our own good.

Melon

Kieran McConville said:
Sometimes I think that God is in fact the collective human consciousnesss, which might explain why he/she/it is capable of such great cruelty as well as love.

I don't mean that in a flippant way either, as I certainly do believe in the existence of some higher being... but at the same time I wonder if we are 'it'. They say if you're looking for Jesus you should find him (or shades of him) in the people around you. You certainly won't find him in the sky.

I have never seen anyone else express what I have said before. I once wrote a poem about all of us being the body of Christ. And in a sense, if we are part of the body of Christ, then Christ is also in us.

Thanks for sharing your post.

Yesterday I celebrated my daughter's 6th birthday. I am amazed at her love of God. She is so into God and Jesus and the stories in the bible. To me it is absolutely incredible her desire and craving to be like Jesus. I am so proud to have been blessed by this childs presence in my life.

She is colorblind her best friends in school are African American and Hispanic. She does not care about wealth. She collected her toys that she no longer played with, without us asking and brought them to a toy drive at her school. We never pushed her to do so. She said that she felt badly for kids without presents. She is a friend to both boys and girls. She LOVES everyone and is always looking out for children who are left out or in need of a friend. Her teachers have nothing but praise for her.

We have read bible stories to her since she was born. We have taught her to pray. We have not attended church with her until recently, because of the scandal in the church I have not wanted to attend church. I also have been feeling guilty, because she is so religious.

She is my hope for the world. When I think of what God is like, I know when I see my daughter....I am seeing a reflection of what God intended for the world.

My son...hehe....reflects something all together different...:wink:

Last edited:
theSoulfulMofo...really? That's neat. Kinda weird, but neat.

Kieran McConville said:

That makes perfect sense. :yes:. I also liked melon's answer.

And Dread...your daughter sounds like a sweetheart. :cute: :hug: :heart: :).

Angela

Dreadsox said:
Yesterday I celebrated my daughter's 6th birthday. I am amazed at her love of God. She is so into God and Jesus and the stories in the bible. To me it is absolutely incredible her desire and craving to be like Jesus. I am so proud to have been blessed by this childs presence in my life.

She is colorblind her best friends in school are African American and Hispanic. She does not care about wealth. She collected her toys that she no longer played with, without us asking and brought them to a toy drive at her school. We never pushed her to do so. She said that she felt badly for kids without presents. She is a friend to both boys and girls. She LOVES everyone and is always looking out for children who are left out or in need of a friend. Her teachers have nothing but praise for her.

We have read stories to her since she was born. We have taught her to pray. We have not attended church with her until recently, because of the scandal in the church I have not wanted to attend church. I also have been feeling guilty, because she is so religious.

She is my hope for the world. When I think of what God is like, I know when I see my daughter....I am seeing a reflection of what God intended for the world.

My son...hehe....reflects something all together different...:wink:

You are blessed. Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter. You must be a great parent.

Here are my thoughts;

If God were to come down in human form again in the year 2004 this is what I would think Jesus would be.

He'd be a humble rock star. Whenever he walked into a room, whenever he spoke, whenever he moved people would go silent. Not because he demanded it, not because he would do anything to attract attention, but because he had a very quiet charisma about him like that of a baby. He'd walk into a bar and hang out with the blue colar workers who had no place to go to after work and he'd sit and tell jokes with them over a pint. He'd put the homeless and women of the streets up for a night even if it meant his dinner. He'd stop and smell a flower, pet a dog, or talk to infant when walking down the street. Just his smile would brighten anyone's day who happen to cross his path on the sidewalk. He was never in a hurry, never overly aggressive, and never quick to anger. People would be drawn to him not because of his beauty, fame, or money for they wouldn't know who he was and he would be a very average looking modest man, but because he would give a sence of hope just by looking at him if you had an open heart. He wouldn't get involved with politics, he'd be an activist on the streets because he knew that was the only place he could get things to happen. Love would be his only weapon, and he never used judgement or the law. He would mourn the death and destruction of this planet but celebrate the life that is here. And he would always smile when a U2 song played.

Eventually he would make waves and start pissing off many religious people. They wouldn't understand his rebellious ways. He would try and explain but it wouldn't work. They would try everything to get rid of him and eventually they probably would, but he would just hitch a ride to the next town and start making waves again.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You are blessed. Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter. You must be a great parent.

Yes, yes, to be determined...I make many mistakes..hehe

My Son is going to be the death of me!:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Here are my thoughts;

If God were to come down in human form again in the year 2004 this is what I would think Jesus would be.

He'd be a humble rock star. Whenever he walked into a room, whenever he spoke, whenever he moved people would go silent. Not because he demanded it, not because he would do anything to attract attention, but because he had a very quiet charisma about him like that of a baby. He'd walk into a bar and hang out with the blue colar workers who had no place to go to after work and he'd sit and tell jokes with them over a pint. He'd put the homeless and women of the streets up for a night even if it meant his dinner. He'd stop and smell a flower, pet a dog, or talk to infant when walking down the street. Just his smile would brighten anyone's day who happen to cross his path on the sidewalk. He was never in a hurry, never overly aggressive, and never quick to anger. People would be drawn to him not because of his beauty, fame, or money for they wouldn't know who he was and he would be a very average looking modest man, but because he would give a sence of hope just by looking at him if you had an open heart. He wouldn't get involved with politics, he'd be an activist on the streets because he knew that was the only place he could get things to happen. Love would be his only weapon, and he never used judgement or the law. He would mourn the death and destruction of this planet but celebrate the life that is here. And he would always smile when a U2 song played.

Eventually he would make waves and start pissing off many religious people. They wouldn't understand his rebellious ways. He would try and explain but it wouldn't work. They would try everything to get rid of him and eventually they probably would, but he would just hitch a ride to the next town and start making waves again.

He sounds incredibly cool from this description. :).

Angela

"the God I believe in, isn't short of cash, mister!"

seriously, Bono and Michael Franti are my Gods. These two men embody everything that is spiritual to me. Music is my religion, I mean that it is the only thing that I really get passionate about and both Bono and Michael are great humanitarians and peaceful people. When I saw Michael Franti live last year, the only way I could describe the concert was that it was like how I would imagine a religous experience= great music and everyone with the same tolerant consciousness, just magical:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Tell me what your God is like?

I have 2 religions but follow neither. I believe in a 'God', simply for want of a better term. God is good enough for me. I do not believe so much in religion, to me it is far from God and my view of it/him/her.
God, to me, created everything (nothing unique in this I suppose). That is love, hate, anger, passion, ego, compassion, respect, bias, ignorance and knowledge etc. God created all the colours we see, all the forms we can touch and smell, all the emotions we are able to feel. Everything to it's extreme. He allowed us to feel, to touch, to experience. To live. Cliched as it might be, there is a bit of him/Him in everything around us. The good and the bad. It was all created for us to be put here to work through it, to find our own way. I don't think God is an existential being. Not singularly anyway and not seperate from us.

I don't have to imagine how wonderful my God can be I know he is because he encourages me to have a close relationship with him.. he doesnt leave me in the dark as to what is going on around me, he speaks to me from his word the bible, which give me all the answers to get by.. the reason why we get old and die, the reason why there is so much suffering in the world and knowing it will come to an end by his hand.. good advice how to cope with todays problems to rely on him.. to know that in HIS time which is coming very soon there will be no more death or sickness, everyone will live in peace even with the animals no one will ever suffer from starvation or wars anymore that those in the memoria tombs will be resurrected back to live so we will see those we have loved and lost in death again.... I know it will not be achieved through humans but through his Heavenly goverment ruled by his son Jesus...which will put an end to the mess men have made on this planet and destroy the one who started it all satan the devil who is ruling the world and causing most of the problems in it.. which was why Jesus stated his kingdom is no part of the world.. so I know I don't have to rely on earthly goverments to achieve world peace.. so I have no feelings of frustrations that their sad efforts never come to much as hard as they sincerly try. So I have every reason to love my God and I try to do so by telling people how wonderful he is and what he is going to do

Well I guess I find God everyday in different ways , just like I also find my solace in different places , not neccesarily the Church . So to think of him in qualities and charecteristics of human form might be ever changing.

My God is an Awesome God who to steal a line from U2 " Moves in Mysterious Ways"

God reveals Himself to us through His Word. I would describe God with a list of His attributes (all are equally important, so they are listed in no particular order).

Guide
Sovereign
Preserver
Omniscient
Holy
Omnipotent
Savior
Provider
Wise
Righteous
Just
Perfect
Person
Jealous
Glory
Holy
Impartial
Merciful
Creator
Omnipresent
Long-suffering
Incomprehensible
Invisible
Gracious
Father
Immutable
Faithful
Good
Eternal
Love

Does God have a sense of humor? Yes, I see it every day when I look in the mirror.

If Jesus came back in 2004, I don't think he'd be well-received. All-empires-will-fall isn't a very popular message, in any era.

Nor 'feed the hungry'.

I feel confident that if he ever does return, we won't recognise it until it's far too late.

Kieran McConville said:
If Jesus came back in 2004, I don't think he'd be well-received. All-empires-will-fall isn't a very popular message, in any era.

Nor 'feed the hungry'.

I feel confident that if he ever does return, we won't recognise it until it's far too late.

I think you are right, at least in america. We're shutting down anything that doesn't fit the norm. Jesus is much too the rebel for this country.

I would say God is love and trust

enough trust to let us go on our merry or not so merry way

Back
Top Bottom