Whats your favortie section of the Paper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
Regular reader?

Steal the paper from the office front desk? What section do you dive for when you get to the office?

International?
National?
Op-Eds?
Editorials?
Letters?
Arts?
Sports?
Real Estate?
Science?
Money and Finance?
Reviews?
Take it all?

U2democrat said:
Lately it's been the metro/national sections I enjoy, mostly to read about state and national politics.

May I ask, what paper do you read?

:der: A political scientist's morning newspaper routine is pretty much akin to the pathetic spectacle of some absurdly over-medicated senior citizen dutifully downing his daily 50 from one of those calendar grid pillboxes. First the mandatory New York Times and Wall Street Journal enema, followed up by a refreshing chaser of Slate or the like if you're the younger, hipper type. Then a brief sortie into one of the major academic "world roundup" databases such as World News Connection or the like. Next, a sweet little speedball of regional interest headlines from whatever your area of specialization is, which for me would mean the Times of India, the Calcutta Telegraph, the Deccan Herald, the cybersavvy Indian Express, maybe the Muslim Milli Gazette, and at last the one I really look forward to, the Chennai Hindu. Then onto a brief but bracing encounter with the Pakistani dailies Dawn and News. Maybe a peek at the Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan or Nepali papers if something really big is happening there. Then finally, flapping my arms and gasping for air, a parting shot of our lovely university paper, so I'll be sure to know about the latest irrelevant fracas between our chancellor and the faculty senate leadership, and which frat parties got busted over the weekend.

And to get me nice and sedated before bedtime, I do skim the metro sections of our local paper--though I'm usually also reading FYM at the same time, so who knows which content gets the upper hand. :angel:

U2democrat said:
Various papers, Washington Post, Richmond Times Dispatch, Hampton Roads Daily Press

Growing up in DC, I was raised on a steady diet of the Washington Post, the greatest newspaper in the world. Nothing else compares.

It's the only paper to single-handedly bring down a presidency, and its covers U.S. politics like no other organization can.

Gotta flash my love fo' the Post... :)

I head straight for the important section of the paper. The comics, damn it!

:wink:

Editorials, national news, comics, advice column, arts and leisure, style--in that approximate order. Then I flip through the other sections to see if something interets me. New York Times Sunday Edition.:up: And sometimes none of it at all.:up:

I read the local and int'l news, but my favourite in any newspaper are the LETTERS TO THE EDITOR because I'm curious about who gives a damn about anything.

foray

foray said:
I read the local and int'l news, but my favourite in any newspaper are the LETTERS TO THE EDITOR because I'm curious about who gives a damn about anything.

foray

And those can be incredibly funny (and sometimes pretty frightening) in small town newspapers. Sometimes I'm absolutely astonished.

Ah yes, letters to the editor. Editors like to act high and principled, but really they love the crazies. It keeps the page full.

I like the classified, used cars first. Then the personals.

Man seeks woman. Never walked on beach, regular income, middle aged paunch, seeks blonde, may be natural brunette, surgical enhancement ok, intelligence optional.

Op-Eds.

on the weekends, the Arts section of the NYT as well as the Week In Review.

though i don't read newspapers on a daily basis. i'm all about the websites.

yolland said:
:der: A political scientist's morning newspaper routine is pretty much akin to the pathetic spectacle of some absurdly over-medicated senior citizen dutifully downing his daily 50 from one of those calendar grid pillboxes. First the mandatory New York Times and Wall Street Journal enema, followed up by a refreshing chaser of Slate or the like if you're the younger, hipper type. Then a brief sortie into one of the major academic "world roundup" databases such as World News Connection or the like. Next, a sweet little speedball of regional interest headlines from whatever your area of specialization is, which for me would mean the Times of India, the Calcutta Telegraph, the Deccan Herald, the cybersavvy Indian Express, maybe the Muslim Milli Gazette, and at last the one I really look forward to, the Chennai Hindu. Then onto a brief but bracing encounter with the Pakistani dailies Dawn and News. Maybe a peek at the Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan or Nepali papers if something really big is happening there. Then finally, flapping my arms and gasping for air, a parting shot of our lovely university paper, so I'll be sure to know about the latest irrelevant fracas between our chancellor and the faculty senate leadership, and which frat parties got busted over the weekend.

And to get me nice and sedated before bedtime, I do skim the metro sections of our local paper--though I'm usually also reading FYM at the same time, so who knows which content gets the upper hand. :angel:

:love:

indra said:

And those can be incredibly funny (and sometimes pretty frightening) in small town newspapers. Sometimes I'm absolutely astonished.

Our paper is so crappy, once I wrote a pretty lengthy one....and they called and said they were going to feature it in the Saturday edition and needed to take my picture :huh: When THEY are featuring MY writing, you know it's got to be a slow news week!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Our paper is so crappy, once I wrote a pretty lengthy one....and they called and said they were going to feature it in the Saturday edition and needed to take my picture :huh: When THEY are featuring MY writing, you know it's got to be a slow news week!
:laugh:

My oldest brother used to write absolutely hysterical fake letters to the Itta Bena paper using various pseudonyms and pretending to be some crotchity old guy ranting about today's worthless youth, or some genteel Southern lady proposing absurdly high-minded public campaigns that would never get off the ground, or some kind of Flannery O'Connoresque eccentric whining about how his freaky pastimes were being disrupted by some alleged new public nuisance or whatever. They printed them all.

Originally posted by Irvine511
:love:
:flirt:

International affairs and op-eds in the Australian. New Scientist cover to cover. Check out about a dozen blogs every day and read full article that seem interesting or relevent.

Back
Top Bottom