What's your charity of choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
Some of our favorite celebrities choose charites to fight for. I think it's amazing thing. So if you were a celebrity and you could decide one choice of where your time and money would be spent where would it be and why?

I am a huge Amnesty buff, but there are just so many great charities. I choose Amnesty because it has an excellent track record of putting monies collected back into the work and keeping a low overhead. They are scrupulously nonpartisan and do such amazing work on behalf of persecuted people everywhere, regardless of political affiliation, gender, nationality, religion, and sexual orientation.

I donate to the American Civil Liberties Union and People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals. If I had more money to toss around, I'd donate to Greenpeace as well.

the ACLU is my favorite though. i'd be their celebrity spokeswoman if i were a hugely famous tennis star. :)

Other good ones:

--Alternative Gifts International (gifts of food, medicine, and the like which are sent to areas of the world in crisis--check out their website at www.alternativegifts.org for some cool Christmas ideas)
--Habitat for Humanity
--Catholic Worker
--UNICEF

or your local homeless shelter or soup kitchen. :up:

paxetaurora said:
Oh. I thought you were kidding.

I have given so much to “so-called” charities
Only to find out that something like 10- 15 % goes to the actual needy.

Panhandlers used to really annoy me.
Especially when I’m on a date.

Many years back I was in a club in Hollywood with a buddy who had just got out of prison.
A street-person, homeless man walked through the bar to use the bathroom.
Butch, got up walked across the crowded bar and gave the guy a few bucks.
I asked him, “why did you give money to him?" He said, "why not?"
He gave me something to think about.

Last edited:
The Christian Reformed World Relief Commity (CRWRC) - I'm Christian Reformed so this one is part of my denomination. I'd sort of written it off for years because I hear about it so much since it's based a few miles from my house, but recently my advisor gave me their newest pamphlet which was cool because when you donate money, you pick what it's for. For example, you can buy a goat for $19, or other things like a sack of grain, a buffalo, a bike, a pig, a sheep, a saw, mosquito netting - things that are actually affordable for college students. Also, I like that you can pick a tangible good that you know is practical. Sometimes, if too many people pick the same thing, they will re-allocate the money, but you're not getting cheated.

Here's the site:

CRWRC (there's currently some features on AIDS):
http://www.crwrc.org/

The Gift Catalog:
http://www.crwrc.org/giftcatalog/catalog/index.html

EDIT: Sorry! I didn't read carefully and I thought we were supposed to pick a favorite charity of our own :reject: If I were a celeb, I would also support Amnesty as well as DATA, Oxfam, Pause With A Cause, and Interference's own African Well Fund. :up:

Last edited:
Probably Habitat For Humanity, a little more trustworthy than drunken frats are.

If I was a celebrity and had tons of money to work with, I'd pick any charity that helps abused women. Or start my own and build shelters for them, etc.

I was hoping someone would mention Heifer. I tend towards the organizations that are working on the CAUSES of poverty, rather than just the symptoms. Hence Heifer. :)

Oxfam http://oxfamamerica.org is another great one, espeically, their Make Trade Fair campaign

Jubilee USA--DROP THE DEBT
http://jubileeusa.org

My local DC area Foodbank :)

SD

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Humane Society

:heart: animals :heart:

:up:

I have joined this every year the last several years. I support Meower Power, a local feral cat group. I have also belonged to the National Wildlife Federation because they look after wolves and other wildlife. I don't join PETA because from what I've seen they aren't much for dogs and cats (carnivorous hunters you know:| ) and those are the main animals I want to help.

Last edited:
If I were a celeb, I'd give all kinds of money to Africare. They are an excellent charity, all the money goes to people who need it. They are strictly nonpartisan and have great programs like health care for people who otherwise couldn't get it. If I had the money I could travel to Africa and see their programs at work!

I always give to my local food bank during the library fund drives, like now. We always have overdue books, and they mark off a dollar for each can you give. So I pay it off in cans of food.

It makes me sick to see people throw good stuff out when someone could use it. My brother and his wife were going to take a bunch of good clothes, toys and stuff to the dump and I told them to take it to the Goodwill drop off hut. They said nobody wanted that stuff, I said, you have no idea, some people have nothing. They wouldn't be bothered so I took it to the Goodwill hut myself. I also gave a cell phone they were pitching to the battered womens' shelter, they were asking for phones for victims of domestic violence.

Last edited:
I'm so happy to see my fellow U2 fans to be strong supporters of good causes. Yet, somehow I'm not surprised. I've donated plenty of time and/or money to several causes. Among them:

The Humane Society-I'm all about the furbaby love

The Hunger Task Force-I've donated time, money, and food to this good cause. One of my favorite book stores donates a portion of their customer purchases to the cause of the customer's choice and I chose the Hunger Task Force. I know they do great work. When my friend, Jill, left her abusive husband with two young children, she relied on the Hunger Task Force to help feed her brood.

Camp Heartland-A camp for children with Aids and HIV

The Milwaukee Women's Center-I belong to a school organization that is collecting toys and necessary toiletries to families that leave abusive situations.

And I'm looking into getting involved with a local organization that mentors at risk teenage girls to make positive choices in their lives.

Back
Top Bottom