What's in a dream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Lately, I have been having very vivid and strange dreams. Most likely this is a result of the fact that I'm under a lot of stress and at a crossroads in my life but also because I'm on some high-powered meds to kill an African illness which was lurking in my system. :huh:

All that to say, for some time I have wondered about the meaning of dreams. If I take the time to analyze some of mine I can see patterns. When I am afraid of the future often I have scary dreams where I am battling unknown foes. Other times I dream of people from my past when I have been thinking about old unresolved problems. But do you think that dreams can have deeper meanings? Forewarn you or guide you? Perhaps re-interpret the past in a new way? Or are they just really fun reality TV?

I'm curious to know your thoughts and ideas on this.

sulawesigirl4 said:
But do you think that dreams can have deeper meanings? Forewarn you or guide you? Perhaps re-interpret the past in a new way?

Yes, and I think dreams are our way of facing things/working things out that our conscious self wants to avoid. I think many dreams are about fears we have. Maybe when things in one's life aren't all that peaceful one's dream life is more active, I don't know..

I had a dream once, right before the U2 Elevation tour, that Bono was chasing me w/ a meat cleaver trying to kill me. It was the weirdest dream I've ever had (other than a witch chasing me :wink: ), I actually woke up in a cold sweat. It was quite vivid, and obvious that it was Bono. What the heck does that one mean? :huh:

I have had prophetic dreams, that is scary when that happens. Like dreaming about someone and seeing them again a few days later. Or about something bad happening to someone and it does..

Once I had a dream that a British Airways plane crashed in my neighbors' backyard, thankfully of course that never happened. Recently I had a dream about a plane, and what I assume were terrorists in the cabin spraying what seemed to be some sort of pepper spray stuff. That was the beginning/ end of the dream, I don't remember anything else.

I think dream analysis is fascinating

My dreams are mostly prophetic.....where I'm actually someone I don't even know with people I have never met and places I have not been. Many of my dreams do come to pass by omens and meanings in the dream.

Sometimes I am in the dream but more as an observer.....windows play a large part in my dreams where I'm looking through the window at a scene.....sometimes it is even a scene similar to Iraq.

Manytimes I wake up from the dream with a pounding headache which soon goes away.

I only had one U2 dream....I was sitting alone in a large empty small stadium and watching them setup for a show.....then I turn my head....and there Bono was seated right next to me.....and now the worst part......I woke up and that was the end of the dream. Good thing he wasn't chasing me with a meat clever....that's a weird one.

:|

I believe dreams are a product of the brain re-sorting the various memories and images that are stored.

Any correlation between a dream and reality is a product of our innate ability to draw connections between facts and events.

I think the more vivid the dream is, the more prophetic it is. I've had dreams that were so vivid, it felt as if it actually happened to me when I woke up. Those dreams came when I needed answers or guidance with some problems or events I was going through. I have a dream book called "10,000 Dreams Interpreted" by Gustavus Hindman Miller, and I use that to interpret my dreams.

So yes, I do believe dreams are prophetic and are trying to tell us something.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
I believe dreams are a product of the brain re-sorting the various memories and images that are stored.

Any correlation between a dream and reality is a product of our innate ability to draw connections between facts and events.

I agree. I think a lot of our dreams are just a random thing pulled out of our memories and put together, think of all the dumb dreams we have that don't make any sense. Sometimes I think that our fears or desires can influence what will be drug up out of our memories, especially if it is something we've been thinking about a lot lately. In my opinion most dreams don't mean anything.

I had this dream and my grandma died, and I woke up feeling the worst I had ever felt in my entire life. I checked the time and it was around 4 30. The next morning we found out she had died...and I told my mum the exact time...it was right.

I have also had otehr experiences...when my pet mouse died, i dreamt it and went down to see if he was ok in the morning. He was dead. Also when my sister dislocated her knee...i didnt know about it and I was limping around with a sore knee for most of the day. The times matched up and all.

When I was little my mum and grandma could never surprise me with present becuase i could always guess what they were...even if they were really left field. It got to the point where they tried not to think about it when I was in the room.

These are only a few of the things that have happened to me. I think sometimes dreams can have messages. Coincidence? Up to you!

I put absolutely no stock at all in dream interpretations, and honestly think they're a bit of a load of shit. The brain is at it's most relaxed when we're asleep and I reckon all we dream of is simply snippets of stuff already stored in there. The brain runs through that all, while we sleep, and sometimes we remember it. You hear people freak out and say "I had a dream about a guy I havn't seen in years! What on earth could it mean?!" Pfft. How about nothing? The brain was simply going through it's archives and he appeared. It doesn't mean you are secretly desiring another man and you are about to cheat on your husband/get fired/fall off a cliff/win lotto/fall in love with the guy you haven't seen in 7 years, etc.

I do think dreams can be entirely strange and they are fascinating to look at though. A teacher recently gave us an assigment on dreams with photography and she began talking about precognition. I remembered one I had when I was about 9 or 10 and the dream involved this white coated dr trying to give me an injection but the needle was copper, square shaped, and coiled. As I protested in my dream and he jabbed me (not sure how with a coiled needle, but anyway lol), mum woke me up at precisely that moment by actually jabbing my arm with my insulin needle. I dont know how I pre-dreamed something which was to match what was occuring beyond my concious knowledge. But either way, these wanky dream interpretation books and sites and so on I reckon are garbage.

I once read somewhere yonks ago an article about dreams and brain function. Our thought processes move at a zillion miles a second (approximately :wink: ) so we can dream of many things in a very short space of time ie when you daydream it might only be a few seconds but you've crammed a whole novel in there.

This guy reckoned because of this if something touches your skin (ie your insulin needle) you have enough time from the touch till you wake up to actually DREAM of a white coated dr jabbing you with a coiled needle. Your brain will work that fast.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense! Cheers, BEG! Actually, I remember having this great debate in an art class of all places yonks ago about well, we were talking about ID, Ego, and Superego and eventually it got onto the whole mind thing and stuff and the teacher was explaining a theory she had about dreams backed up by research done on the brain and it;s ability to process information and it all fits. I much rather this than some airy fairy idea of a giant beetle coming to kill me as a result.

Even though the following passage is about the existing Sengoi tribe in Malaysia, no one really knows if it is accurate or not.

The Senoi (sic) people, who live in the central highlands of Malaysia, are remarkable in that there is no violent crime, armed conflict or mental illness within their boundaries. All because the dream-work which they practice produces such a high level of psychological integration. So what is this wonderful dream-work?

For a start, both adults and children are encouraged to pay great attention to their dreams, and to endeavour to bring conscious control into the dream-word. Thus, if a Senoi boy dreams he meets a hostile animal or person, he is instructed to call on his “dream-helpers” to aid him to kill or subdue the adversary, so that its spirit will become an ally and help him in the future.

If he dreams he is falling, he should not panic but relax and enjoy himself because “falling is the quickest way to get in contact with the spirit world”. Later in life, if he dreams of sexual intercourse, even if it is with someone tabooed in the waking world, he is to continue the dream to orgasm, and then ask the dream-lover for a song to take back. In general, pleasant dreams are continued until the dreamer finds something of beauty which can be brought back for the tribe.

foray

I pay attention to my dreams. Some are nonsense, others profound, even occasionally prophetic. I don't follow any formulaic popular method of interpreting them, though. I think the symbols are very personal and only the dreamer can interpret them. I tend to see others in the dream as aspects of myself and look for things that represent my mind, ego, shadow, fears, etc.

Vitamin B6 can really activate dreams, too.

Hope you feel better soon!

U2democrat said:
I keep having this recurring dream that John Mellencamp and I are superheroes and our duty is to save celebrities in distress...:|

:lmao:

Please save Katie Holmes.

Sherry Darling said:
You still taking methlequine? :D :p

:lol: No, I got off that stuff ages ago. It definitely gave me very vivid, colorful dreams.

I guess what I find interesting about dreams are more in what they tell me about myself. I don't really buy into prophecy or supernatural stuff (although I did have one very spooky experience with a dream that seemed to be phophetic in hindsight) but I am fascinated by what apparently goes on in my unconscious mind. Sometimes I'm afraid to think too much about it for fear it will tell me things about myself that I would rather not know. :ohmy:

Um, like the dream I had the other night involving Jude Law, Irvine, and myself.... *ahem*....nevermind :whistle:

Oh, good.:evil: We've started a sexual fantasy thread.:applaud: :dancing:

I'm not telling, though. I'm a voyeur.:evil:

Last edited:
I've never had sex-related dreams about anybody, famous, non-famous, male, female, whatever. Or, if I have, I don't remember any of them. And I'm 20. I'm wondering if that's normal, 'cause don't most people start having those kinds of dreams when they're teens or something?

I've also never had recurring dreams. I've had dreams in which some of the same people show up time and again, but I've never had the exact same dream over and over. And I've never had prophetic dreams.

I just have odd random dreams about monsters or other various evil things chasing me, and I have had dreams about guys I like, but nothing ever happens between me and them in the dream, and I've had a lot of dreams about watching stuff on TV :huh:.

I personally would be interested to find someone who's good with dream interpretation and hear their take on my dreams. I'd just be curious to see what they'd say.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I've never had sex-related dreams about anybody, famous, non-famous, male, female, whatever. Or, if I have, I don't remember any of them. And I'm 20. I'm wondering if that's normal, 'cause don't most people start having those kinds of dreams when they're teens or something?

Angela

Oh you poor thing...you're missing out!

:drool:sex dreams:drool:

:shifty:

Aha......phallic symbol dreams.....now that's a different story..........no.....I'm not saying who it was.........

:shh:

Back
Top Bottom