What song would you have at your funeral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudbugfish

Babyface
A recent survey amongst the biggest undertakers reported that bereaved families preferred pop songs to hymns at funerals.

What song would you have?

Here are the 12 most requested songs:

Goodbye My Lover - James Blunt

I've Had the Time of My Life - Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley

Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler

Candle in the Wind - Elton John

With or Without You - U2

My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion

Tears from Heaven - Eric Clapton

Every Breath You Take - The Police

Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers

Angels - Robbie Williams

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham!

I'm having In My Life by The Beatles.

Something ironic. I cringe at the song selections a lot of people pick, how any would be able to keep a straight face at a serious song i dont know.

I probably wouldn't want any U2 songs. I'd like a few hymns, maybe "Thy Word," some stuff by Michael W. Smith, other CCM artists I suppose.

I have specified in my will that it is mandatory that Kite and Somewhere Over the Rainbow be sung.

lol....morbid subject - but nice just the same.

I have a few choices:

There you'll be - Faith Hill
I know you're there - Barry Manilow
Tears in heaven - Eric Clapton
My Way - Frank Sinatra
You can still be free - Savage Garden

.....on the other hand, it doesn't really matter cos I won't hear them ANYWAY....heehee.

Highway to Hell right after the mass ends, and anytime End of the Line by Traveling Wilburys, I've told two friends just in case:up:

Every Breath You Take - The Police

either it's yet another gross misinterpretation of the song, or someone has quite a sense of humor to have that at their funeral. Ha ha ha, I'll be haunting you forever!

In jest, I've told people I wanted a CD of 30 different live versions of "Where the Streets Have No Name," but that would just be cruel. As it's one of my all-time favorite songs, I'd probably still want it played, but I think I'd like a combination of a lot of my favorite music, secular and sacred. I like the thought of having my funeral service be a celebration of my life, and since I'm such a music nut, I think it makes perfect sense to have my family play music that I loved.

If I died tomorrow, it would probably be a shitload of Bruce Springsteen. :wink:

I'm a little Irish on my mom's side. I know it because it was in the hymnal of both the Methodist and Presbyterian churches I grew up in. :)

I went to a Methodist Church, as a child. With my granny. :wave: Her family was Irish Catholic, but she became Methodist, when she married my grandfather. My grandfather's ancestors were Irish Protestants from Northern Ireland, Belfast.

Be Thou My Vision as performed by Michael Card. Beautiful Irish song.

This is my favorite hymn as well. (That Michael Card album--Starkindler--is his best by a long shot). I really like the version by Eden's Bridge.

I never really thought about what I'd want played at my funeral. Hymn wise--the above mentioned plus maybe "It Is Well With My Soul", "All the Way My Savior Leads Me" or "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." (Not because they are particularly funereal but because they are some of my favorite hymns.

Beyond that--there's this song called "The Gathering" that means a lot to me. I first heard it around the time my grandfather died and it moves me to this day. It's about the resurrection and I always picture seeing my grandpa and my aunt and all the other people that mean so much to me again and I always get a little choked up imagining it.

Would U2 (and Greg Carroll) mind if I borrowed "One Tree Hill?" The live version that they played at the concert I went to in Japan. . .:drool: Beautiful.

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah isn't on the list? But Wham! are? That's so wacky.

I went to a funeral yesterday, the music was a medley of songs played on a piano by a close friend of the deceased. Something like that would work for me.

Kite played as the casket is rolled out
Speed of Life by David Bowie played as pictures of my life come up

We had a thread like this ages, and Beav said Echoes (Pink Floyd), and "fuck you if you want to leave my funeral" and it was the funniest thing I've ever read.

Neil Young's "Down by the River"

:lol:

When I die, I don't want a funeral, cause they generally suck and I don't want to make the people I love sad. So, I want most of my possessions sold, and the proceeds to be spent on a party. I want all of my friends to get drunk, and say "hey, he was a great guy", and celebrate that I had a good life instead of being sad that I'm gone.

That said, I want They Reminisce Over You by Pete Rock & CL Smooth played, and the very last song needs to be A Day in the Life.

This is my favorite hymn as well. (That Michael Card album--Starkindler--is his best by a long shot). I really like the version by Eden's Bridge.

I never really thought about what I'd want played at my funeral. Hymn wise--the above mentioned plus maybe "It Is Well With My Soul", "All the Way My Savior Leads Me" or "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." (Not because they are particularly funereal but because they are some of my favorite hymns.

Beyond that--there's this song called "The Gathering" that means a lot to me. I first heard it around the time my grandfather died and it moves me to this day. It's about the resurrection and I always picture seeing my grandpa and my aunt and all the other people that mean so much to me again and I always get a little choked up imagining it.

I went to Michael Card's Starkindler concert and he signed my cd. I have seen him in concert, twice. He is a wonderful performer. The second time I saw him, he was with Sara Groves and Phil Keaggy. The next time he tours in my area, I want to take my little grand daughter. I think she would enjoy seeing the musicians. She likes to dance and sing.

I also, love the song "The Gathering."

I am to be cremated without funeral or memorial service. People can have a party and play all the mixes I've given them instead.

Interesting topic. I've thought about it a lot. There's only one song and it's been the song for over 20 years. My parents know it. My wife knows it. And I'm sure it will be played when I do eventually die—God willing, a long LONG time from now.

A Sort of Homecoming

Oh dont sorrow, no dont weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home

At my funeral: MLK

My mom is a cabaret singer and recently performed an incredible rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." I want to hold on to the DVD and play it at her funeral.

And a very morbid thread this is, by the way...but fascinating at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom