What Makes Obama Attractive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
Haha, people are still talking about Hillary's "crying"? Yeah she's a "bitch" too.

Terrell Owens cried far more about Tony Romo.

He's my quarterback, man.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Haha, people are still talking about Hillary's "crying"? Yeah she's a "bitch" too.

and terrell's tears were just as real as hillary's.

and terrell is much more of a bitch than hillary ever had been or ever will be.

that said... i'm not sure if i want the leader of my country breaking down in tears when things get difficult.

that said again, i suppose it worked for dick vermeil.

Does anybody honestly believe that Hillary would be a crybaby if elected President of the US? Have we EVER seen any other evidence of this whatsoever throughout her long and very public career prior to this one relatively insignificant incident? :rolleyes:

joyfulgirl said:
Does anybody honestly believe that Hillary would be a crybaby if elected President of the US? Have we EVER seen any other evidence of this whatsoever throughout her long and very public career prior to this one relatively insignificant incident? :rolleyes:

precisely.

it was because she *did* cry that it became an incident -- that it was so out of character for this woman-of-steel/indestructible political zombie.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I'm still amazed the footage of her barely even tearing up and getting a tad shaky-voiced = OMG TOTAL CRAZYWOMAN BREAKDOWN!!!!! for some people.

corianderstem said:

I'm still amazed the footage of her barely even tearing up and getting a tad shaky-voiced = OMG TOTAL CRAZYWOMAN BREAKDOWN!!!!! for some people.

i thought it was a good moment for her.

it was the first time she seemed different from a cyborg sent back to kill John Connor.

Plenty of Presidents, and plenty of men, have cried under difficult circumstances- and I'm sure plenty have cried far more in private. Crying does not equal weakness, merely humanness/humanity. It's such a non-issue for most people, and it was already discussed previously in this thread or a different one, I've forgotten. When Bush sheds a few tears at least I know he's not an inhuman cyborg. What Hillary or any other candidate does tends to be seen through the prism of what we already think about them.

Last edited:
Are we really still talking about this?

Tears make no difference to me...from anyone male or female.

(As an aside women's tearducts are larger than men's on average, so it makes sense women tend to tear up more.)

corianderstem said:

Same. I'd heard about the incident for days before I saw the film, and it sounded like she'd had some sort of emotional meltdown, the way it was described. When I finally saw the clip of the incident, I was shocked at how underwhelming it was.

I was talking to a friend today whose mother is in NH, in her early 60s. She said that she changed her vote to Hillary at the last minute, along with a couple of her other friends. When he asked her why, she said that they were disgusted by the reaction to Hillary's tears, because they perceived it to be sexist. And that a lot of their vote was a "I remember what you did to us 40 years ago, screw you" stick-it-to-the-establishment sort of vote. Not sure how widespread that kind of voting is, but it was interesting to hear.

anitram said:
I was talking to a friend today whose mother is in NH, in her early 60s. She said that she changed her vote to Hillary at the last minute, along with a couple of her other friends. When he asked her why, she said that they were disgusted by the reaction to Hillary's tears, because they perceived it to be sexist. And that a lot of their vote was a "I remember what you did to us 40 years ago, screw you" stick-it-to-the-establishment sort of vote. Not sure how widespread that kind of voting is, but it was interesting to hear.

:rockon:

VintagePunk said:

Same. I'd heard about the incident for days before I saw the film, and it sounded like she'd had some sort of emotional meltdown, the way it was described. When I finally saw the clip of the incident, I was shocked at how underwhelming it was.

Same here. I even heard it described here as quite possibly the biggest meltdown in modern political times. :lol:

Her eyes got a little moist. Big deal.

Interesting how the media went NUTS over Hillary getting "emotional".

When Obama choked up after Brian Williams showed him the cover of Newsweek in NH, nobody seemed to care except NBC plugging the interview :shrug:

Does this make Obama attractive?

There is this whole business of the new politics. Well I got a taste of the new politics today. We need a new politics where we all love each other. You’ve heard all that. There’s a radio ad up in the northern part of Nevada telling Republicans that they ought to just register as Democrats for a day so they can beat Hillary and go out and be Republicans next week and vote in the primary. Doesn’t sound like the new politics to me.

Today when my daughter and I were wandering through the hotel, and all these culinary workers were mobbing us telling us they didn’t care what the union told them to do, they were gonna caucus for Hillary.

There was a representative of the organization following along behind us going up to everybody who said that, saying 'if you’re not gonna vote for our guy were gonna give you a schedule tomorrow so you can’t be there.' So, is this the new politics? I haven’t seen anything like that in America in 35 years. So I will say it again – is this the change they are talking about?

YES WE CAN!
YES WE CAN!
YES WE CAN!

dilbert-26-01-2002.gif

^ this from a Bush supporter?

"fight 'em there so we don't fight 'em here?"
"with us or against us"
"uniter not a divider"

i could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on.

deep said:
Does this make Obama attractive?

YES WE CAN!
YES WE CAN!
YES WE CAN!

one doesn't need to go too far to find the Clinton campaign doing precisely the same thing.

but at least Obama's wife isn't out sliming Hillary as if she were ... a Republican.

goddammit. if Bill can destroy Gingrich and thwart the Republican party for nearly a decade, who the fuck is this kid to challenge his wife -- 35 years! 35 years! -- and prevent him from a third term!?!?

"Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way
that Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not.
He put us on a fundamentally different path because the country
was ready for it,I think it's fair to say that the Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time there over
the last 10 to 15 years in the sense that they were challenging
conventional wisdom"
-Mitt Romney

err.... I mean Barack Obama

even John Edwards had to remove his head from Obama's ass to call B.S. on that.

Did he say he agreed with the change? No

Did he say they were good ideas? No.

Doris Kearns Goodwin on Meet the Press:
MS. GOODWIN: You know, it's a sad point in our history when a presidential candidate cannot look back over the course of our history and show admiration for a president who did what he said. He didn't really say that he had better ideas, he said that he had transformed the country, created a conservative movement. Now, I can understand why Edwards and Hillary take that point up, but I think what's happening here is that Hillary has a sense of playing to the base, as Edwards was, and the base doesn't like Ronald Reagan. They don't like Bush. But what Obama was trying to say was, if you want a transformative presidency, if you want somebody who is going to be able, as Teddy Roosevelt was, as FDR was, as perhaps John Kennedy was, to inspire and move the country forward, you've got to have those skills that Ronald Reagan had. It's an historical fact! There was nothing wrong with saying that.

That's pretty much how I took it. I didn't see any admiration in Obama's comments, just a clear fact that Reagan did change the trajectory of the country, more than some other Presidents. Now were other Presidents better? Hell yes, but that wasn't what he was talking about.

On Clinton's website, she lists Reagan as one of her favorite Presidents.

Tom Brokaw about Hillary:
she says that Ronald Reagan plays the music beautifully, and she talked about how he balanced the interests of the middle class and took on the Soviets...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom