What Makes Obama Attractive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About a year ago now, I posted excerpts from a couple articles over at Salon.com on the then-hot topic of whether or not Obama is "black enough." One was by Salon columnist Gary Kamiya. Today he published a column endorsing Obama, which after a fashion reprises his earlier piece by discussing how Obama's process of coming to terms with his own identity, as recounted in his autobiography (Dreams From My Father), impressed Kamiya so much with Obama's character and outlook as to convince him to vote for him. I am not personally passing it on as a case for voting for Obama necessarily, but if you enjoyed Kamiya's original piece or are just interested in this topic in general, then you might enjoy this article.

I voted days ago (even though TN is part of tomorrow), and today I finally posted my "Barack and Roll" piece on our main page (please no worries, it's article not editorial).

After Iowa, I went crazy researching him and came to my support quite honestly.

But the appeal is more intangible. It comes with things like this, superficial on one hand and entirely magical on the other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

The Obama Mystery

By David Ignatius
Sunday, February 17, 2008; B07

"Why is the press going so easy on Barack Obama?" asks a prominent Democratic Party strategist, echoing a criticism frequently made by the Clinton campaign. It's a fair question, and now that Obama appears to be the front-runner in terms of his delegate count, he deserves a closer look, especially from people like me who have written positively about him.

The reason to look closely now, quite simply, is to avoid buyer's remorse later.

Obama is a phenomenon in American politics -- a candidate who has ignited an enthusiasm among young people that I haven't seen in decades. He promises a nation in which, as his supporters chant, "race doesn't matter." And for a world that is dangerously alienated from American leadership, he offers a new face that could dispel negative assumptions about America -- and in that sense boost the nation's standing and security.

But these are symbolic qualities. What Obama would actually do as president remains a mystery in too many areas. Before he completes what increasingly looks like a march to the Democratic nomination, Obama needs to clarify more clearly what lies behind the beguiling banner marked "change."

Let's start with Obama's economic policies. Like all the major candidates, he has a Web site brimming with plans and proposals. But it has been hard to tell how these different strands come together. Is Obama a "New Democrat," in the tradition of Bill Clinton, who would look skeptically at traditional welfare programs? Is he a neopopulist, in the style of his former rival John Edwards, who would make job protection and tax equity his top domestic priorities? Or is he a technocrat, whose economic answers wouldn't be all that different from those of Hillary Clinton?

I'm still puzzled about where to locate Obama on this policy map. Until the past few weeks, I would have put him somewhere between "New Democrat" and "technocrat." But as he reaches for votes in big industrial states, Obama has been sounding more like Edwards. He proposed a middle-class tax cut a few months ago that would provide a credit of up to $1,000 per family. That's a big policy change that deserves real debate.

Obama added more Edwardsian flourishes in a speech Wednesday at an auto plant in Wisconsin. He called for a $150 billion program to develop "green collar" jobs and new energy sources. Meanwhile, to fix all the highways and bridges of our automotive society, he proposed a National Infrastructure Reinvestment Bank that would spend $60 billion over 10 years. Obama should be pressed on whether these big programs are affordable for an economy that appears to be in a tailspin.

Foreign policy is the area on which Obama has been longest on rhetoric and shortest on details. I've always liked his line about Iraq, that "we have to be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in." And when I asked Obama last summer what this might mean in practice, he talked about the need for a residual force in and around Iraq and for a gradual, measured pace of troop withdrawals. But in recent months, his tone has suggested a speedier and more decisive departure from Iraq. I fear that Obama is creating public expectations for a quick solution in Iraq that cannot responsibly be achieved.

With any candidate, there's always a question about the quality of his advisers. Hillary comes prepackaged as Clinton II, with a retinue of aides-in-waiting that is at once her strength and disadvantage. Obama's advisers are a mixed group, but I hear some complaints from policy analysts. One of his leading foreign policy gurus, Anthony Lake, was widely criticized as national security adviser in the first Clinton administration. His role does not reassure people who wonder what substance lies behind the "change" mantra.

To understand why Obama needs tougher scrutiny now, we need only recall his political avatar, President John F. Kennedy. Like Obama, JFK had served a relatively short time in the Senate without compiling a significant legislative record. He was young and charismatic, but uncertain in his foreign and domestic policies, and during his first 18 months JFK was often rebuffed at home and abroad. The CIA suckered him into a half-baked invasion of Cuba. And Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev concluded after an initial meeting that Kennedy was so weak and uncertain that he could be pushed around -- a judgment that led to the Cuban missile crisis.

Obama's inexperience is not a fatal flaw, but it's a real issue. He should use the rest of this campaign to give voters a clearer picture of how he would govern -- not in style but in substance.

Where Has He Been?
An interesting comment from this post:

Me and my family used to be the biggest fans of Bill Clinton. Everyone in my community can't stand to see Bill on TV anymore. I'm not sure if its his older age or maybe the lack of sleep lately, but I truly believe his lost his mind. He makes no sense anymore, cares about nothing other than attempting to get his wife elected, plucks words right out of the air while stating nothing, and now even goes against the voices of mass voters...

Bill Clinton is really not he same person I USED to respect and admire!

Sorry, he's exactly the same person you used to (foolishly and myopically) respect and admire. He's the same person he's been his entire political career, going all the way back to the seventies in Arkansas. Anyone who has followed his career, or read non-hagiographic biographies of him knows this. The only thing that's changed is that you've found a new empty vessel into which to pour your emotional political longings, and he's attacked it, so now you see the Bill Clinton that the rest of us have seen all along.

As I've said many times, I don't now, and never have "hated" Bill (or Hillary Rodham) Clinton. I find them far too trivial and unworthy subjects on which to expend such an intense and miserable emotion. I think that I'm in fact far more clinically objective about them than most Democrats have ever seemed to be able to be. The problem is not the "Clinton haters" (most of whom were merely pointing out the reality), but the far too many people who have loved him, far beyond reason, for decades. That was the source of his power.

And now that the scales have fallen from the eyes of many like the commenter above, the end may be very ugly, particularly if they are perceived to have stolen the nomination from Obama (something that they are surely plotting as I write this). Denver may make Chicago in 1968 look like a Sunday-school picnic.

They've never cared about the Democrat Party, other than as a convenient vehicle for the conveyance of their unlimited and insatiable ambition and lust for power, and they've been a disaster for it ever since they hit the national scene. They cost it the Congress for the first time in four decades, and the party couldn't hold on to the White House at the end of their term, at least partly because of the stench of it in the minds of the voters in 2000. Having Bill Clinton campaign for a Democrat has generally been the kiss of death, but because of this irrational love of them, they've managed to keep on doing it.

When it comes to the Clintons, it's always about them, and they always come first, and the national Democrats are finally starting to realize it, sixteen years later. If they'd been smart, and listened to Arkansas Democrats at the time, they could have had the much earlier epiphany, and spared their party a lot of corruption and embarrassment.

Oh, when the end comes, it won't be as bad as the Ceausescus (this is America, after all), but it will certainly be as final. There will be no more comeback kids. If he's still around in a couple decades, I suspect that Bill Clinton will be continuously enraged and deeply envious of the legacy of George W. Bush.

By Rand on February 17, 2008 4:06 PM | Permalink | Comments (20) | TrackBacks (0)
Categories: Political Commentary
Technorati Links | Digg It

Michelle Obama “For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

For the first time in my adult life :huh:

I have said before
that I expect to vote for the Democrat nominee

these Obamas may make me reconsider :no:

I thought that was an odd statement, I assume it was hyperbole and she was just swept up in the excitement of her husband's candidacy, etc. She's an intelligent woman and I'm sure she has been proud of this country before.

deep said:

For the first time in my adult life :huh:

I have said before
that I expect to vote for the Democrat nominee

Come on, Deep, for someone who uses hyperbole, irony, and other extremes to make a point surely you can recognise it when you see it...

Or is this post another post of yours that shouldn't be taken literally?

time.com, a longer and slightly different version of the quote

"What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something — for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I’ve seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it’s made me proud.”

Obama spokesman Bill Burton sends over a statement:

Of course Michelle is proud of her country, which is why she and Barack talk constantly about how their story wouldn't be possible in any other nation on Earth. What she meant is that she's really proud at this moment because for the first time in a long time, thousands of Americans who've never participated in politics before are coming out in record numbers to build a grassroots movement for change.

(CNN) — Tuesday morning seemed to bring the debut of yet another McCain-Obama flap – this time, Cindy McCain and Michelle Obama.

As she introduced her husband John McCain, the likely Republican nominee, at a campaign event, Cindy McCain told the crowd I “am proud of my country. I don’t know about you, if you heard those words earlier — I am very proud of my country.”

The comment seemed to be a response to a remark from Michelle Obama the day before. On Monday, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama told a Wisconsin audience that “For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

After Tuesday’s event, the McCains were asked if the Arizona senator’s wife had been responding to that comment. Cindy McCain did not directly answer the question, responding: “I just wanted to make the statement that I have and always will be proud of my country.”

On Monday, Obama spokesman Bill Burton released a statement in response to the controversy: “Of course Michelle is proud of her country, which is why she and Barack talk constantly about how their story wouldn't be possible in any other nation on Earth.

“What she meant is that she's really proud at this moment because for the first time in a long time, thousands of Americans who've never participated in politics before are coming out in record numbers to build a grassroots movement for change.”

Let's cut Michelle and Barack some slack.

Tonight, Obama will pack the same venue where the Houston Rockets play (and the campaign will have to turn another 5000 away) while Clinton packs a high school in Ohio.

I pray for the moment when she concedes with dignity and grace.

deep said:

As you have reminded me a number of times, you have to remember the Supreme Court. Obama or Clinton would get that right. Your vote is needed.

What makes him attractive? He's DIFFERENT! That's what we need! Sure Hillary is a woman but she's Bill's wife, and part of the same old gang.

I just watched her in an Ohio high school, struggling to keep her campaign alive

He packed an arena and people waited all day to see him.

We want something this poetic and huge, but all the "it's only rhetoric" people have not done their homework.

This is the first black editor of the Harvard Law Review. As Oprah and Toni Morrison reminded us, he's not just smart. He's wise.

Read his website. He has positions, and they are all intelligent and nuanced and entirely within the mainstream of American progressive political thought.

Just a follow up on the mis-guided spin about what Michelle Obama said...I can't sit and watch these forums all day, sorry this is old news but...

I was listening to Thom Hartman on Air America this morning and they are talking about how the quote that Michelle Obama made was TOTALLY taken out of context. Somebody edited the audio of her on YOUTUBE which omits the very important word REALLY
from the "controversial" comment
"For the first time I am ____________ proud of my country"
If you insert the word REALLY it changes the entire statement.

This is what she really said:
"FOR THE FIRST TIME I AM REALLY PROUD OF MY COUNTRY"

On the video you can see her lips move when she says REALLY, it was obviously tampered with.
GEEZ.

Sobs

Jeannieco said:
Just a follow up on the mis-guided spin about what Michelle Obama said...I can't sit and watch these forums all day, sorry this is old news but...

I was listening to Thom Hartman on Air America this morning and they are talking about how the quote that Michelle Obama made was TOTALLY taken out of context. Somebody edited the audio of her on YOUTUBE which omits the very important word REALLY
from the "controversial" comment
"For the first time I am ____________ proud of my country"
If you insert the word REALLY it changes the entire statement.

This is what she really said:
"FOR THE FIRST TIME I AM REALLY PROUD OF MY COUNTRY"

On the video you can see her lips move when she says REALLY, it was obviously tampered with.
GEEZ.

Sobs

She said it twice, though. Only once did she use the word "really."

Irvine511 said:
i can't believe that this is even being talked about.

You are right.. I should have just let it die...I almost didn't post it,
but I can't stand it when this blantant lie is being passed around like it's the truth.
Michelle and Barack are the epitome of the American dream, and ofcourse she loves this country. Good God.

2861U2 said:

She said it twice, though. Only once did she use the word "really."

You're funny, you'll defend Rush and others for racist and sexists remarks saying "they're just words" "he mispoke", etc.

Yet you're getting all high and mighty about the word "really"?

You are as fair and balanced as Fox...

It's ridiculous for sure, but why does it even matter? Should we take into consideration what the spouse might be like as a First Lady or the male equivalent?

Frankly, I'd rather vote for the candidate I prefer, and we get whichever spouse comes along with them.

I'm sure if we dug (and edited *cough*) enough, we could find something :tsk: - worthy about McCain's wife, too.

Back
Top Bottom