What JFK Might Tell Our Leaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
What JFK might tell our leaders

Theodore C. Sorensen is former special counsel to President Kennedy

By Theodore C. Sorensen | May 28, 2005

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...s/2005/05/28/what_jfk_might_tell_our_leaders/

TOMORROW WOULD have been John F. Kennedy's 88th birthday. Were he still alive, I have no doubt that, with his customary idealism and commitment to country, he would still be offering advice to our current leaders in Washington. Based upon his words of more than 40 years ago, he might well offer the following..

To President George W. Bush on Iraq, Iran, and North Korea: ''The United States, as the world knows, will never start a war. This generation of Americans has had enough -- more than enough -- of war." (American University commencement, 1963)

To President Bush on stem cell research: ''For those of us who are not expert ... we must turn, in the last resort, to objective, disinterested scientists who bring a strong sense of public responsibility and public obligation." (National Academy of Sciences, 1961)

To Vice President Dick Cheney on international organizations, alliances, and consultations: ''The United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. We are only 6 percent of the world's population . . . we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind." (University of Washington, 1961)

To Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on terrorism: ''If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." (Inaugural address, 1961)

To United Nations ambassador-designate John Bolton on diplomacy: ''Civility is not a sign of weakness. The United Nations [is] our last best hope in an age where the instruments of war have far outpaced the instruments of peace." (Inaugural address, 1961)

To Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on space: ''We have vowed that we shall not see space filled with weapons of mass destruction, but with instruments of knowledge and understanding. This new ocean must be a sea of peace, [not] a new terrifying theater of war." (Rice University, 1962)

To House Majority Leader Tom Delay on fund-raising: We need ''men of integrity whom neither financial gain nor political ambition could ever divert from the fulfillment of our sacred trust." (Massachusetts farewell, 1961)

To Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist on judges: ''To maintain the constitutional principle, we should support Supreme Court decisions, even when we may not agree with them." (News conference, 1962)

To White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan on negative news media: ''It is never pleasant to be reading things that are not agreeable news, but it is an invaluable arm to the presidency as a check on what is going on . . . [e]ven though we never like it . . . and wish they didn't write it . . . we could not do the job at all in a free society without a very, very active press." (Television interview, 1962)

To pastor-in-chief Pat Robertson on church-state separation: ''I believe in an America where no [clergyman] would tell his parishioners for whom to vote, where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the public acts of our officials, where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference. The presidency must not be the instrument of any one religious group." (Houston ministers, 1960)

To Undersecretary of State for Public Diplomacy Karen Hughes on propaganda: ''The United States is a peaceful nation where our strength and determination are clear, our words need merely to convey conviction not belligerence." (undelivered Dallas speech, 1963)

How I miss his friendship. How our nation misses his wisdom.

:up:

But don't you know it's a different world since 9/11. All earlier wisdom need not apply.:wink:

Very selective quoting without context, especially considering the political decisions by the Kennedy administration in fighting the Cold War.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that if JFK were still living the Democratic party would be completely different than it is today and Bush would never have even been elected.

I HATE Sorenson. Hate him hate him hate him. If there was one person in the administration that I despised it was Sorenson.

Now, Mr. Sorenson.....

Have we forgotten the Bay of Pigs? President Kennedy would not have sponsored an invasion of another country?

Have we forgotten Vietnam.

Have we forgoten that President Kennedy SOLD TURKEY out to get the Cuban Missile Crisis solved, with a back room deal to assure himself that it would appear he stood up to the Soviets?

Have we forgotten that President Kennedy, would not let Martin Luther King into the White House through the front door....And MOST Civil Rights leaders supported Nixon, because Kennedy was too chicken shit to stand up for what was right in the 1960 election.

Shall we continue?

How about illegal deportation of Amrican Citizens? How about using the FBI to spyon the steel industry execs and blackmail them? How about attempted assasinations of foreign leaders?

Shall we continue?

Sorenson....you make me sick....even 13 years after I handled your documents in the Kennedy Library.....and wanted to puke.

Last edited:
Yeah, Kennedy didn't want to do anything about civil rights until the demonstrators put the heat on the Administration. At least that's the way I understand it.

pax said:
Nice post, Mrs. S. :up:

Anyone who ever gets to Boston for U2 or whatever should really visit the Kennedy Library, it's truly a special place.

I know very little about Ted Sorenson but I thought this was a thought provoking piece. Happy Birthday JFK

It is thought provoking. I appreciate you posting it.

Sorenson....is just not my kind of guy based on living in the Kennedy library researching there for a year.

My problem is that the death of the president has whitewashed the truth behind the man.

AS for Sorenson....the man who WROTE a majority of the words that Kennedy spoke as well as Kennedy's award winning book....to take single lines out is sad.

Kennedy was not the angel Sorenson is implying. He was a back deal, old style politician. And the things Sorenson is trying to make a political statement about, are amusing to me, knowing that Kennedy was as guilty as BUsh in a lot of things.

Although JFK was certainly no angel - as we all know - compared to dark figures that call themselves the "Bush Administration" he might as well be a saint. To those still naive souls who think that JFK was murdered by a lone gunman PLEASE think again. For those who are not sure PLEASE search out a documenatry film called "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" - it PROVES BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT THAT THERE WAS INDEED A CONSPIRACY. Guess who's name showed up in Dallas that November day????
A CIA agent named...George Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry Guess who else was in Dallas....

Nixon

And about five other guys that had reason to kill him.

Guess who won his case against the governement that same day....

New Orleans Mob Boss Carlos Marcello....who had been illegally deported without a trial by the Kennedy Administration.

So much of the Men who killed Kennedy has been proven innacurate.

More and more...after watching what happened on 9/11 and after....

the conspiracy was there were enough dots to connect....as with 9/11

so there needed to be a coverup.

Less and less as I get older....do I believe our own gov't did it.

But Gearge Bush Sr. is on my list.

Hunt VS. Liberty Lobby is enough to make me believe that there were more likley rogue agents operating alone.

The number of people allegedly in Dallas the day JFK got shot - most of whom were probably nowhere near it!

I'm more inclined to go with the lone assassin theory at this point, or at most rogue agents.

It just reminds me of the spoof headline in the Onion - "JFK shot by Oswald, CIA, KGB, Mafia...,etc, etc" :wink:

Dreadsox said:

So much of the Men who killed Kennedy has been proven innacurate.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue for I haven't really done enough research, I've seen documentaries claiming both sides, all of which were obviously biased.

That being said isn't proof of innacuracies almost impossible? If you did have the government involved, the power to corrupt the evidence is almost entirely in their hands.

Back
Top Bottom