What is your Take on Abortion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems quiet obvious, given the vast amount of research, that if republicans really cared to curb the abortion rate they could. Adequate sex education, adequate birth-control, a responsible social welfare system etc would lead to a sharp decline in the abortion rate. If republicans took some of these steps, though, then they wouldn't be able to cry to their conservative christian base about the evils in the world.
Thank goodness for online spell check...i just learned that I do not know how to spell adequate.

Justin24 said:
What is your take on Abortion?

Doctor_with_stethoscope_around_his_neck_18.jpg

"My take? About $350 per.

How's business? It's looking up.
Thanks for asking" :up:

nbcrusader said:

Arguments for 'choice' are usually framed and led by the more compelling rape, incest, life of the mother

No, not usually. Usually they're all about the woman having control of her reproductive system, not strangers having a say in what happens to her body. It's the anti-choice people who like to be generous and allow us to control our bodies in the situations you cite.

martha said:
No, not usually. Usually they're all about the woman having control of her reproductive system, not strangers having a say in what happens to her body. It's the anti-choice people who like to be generous and allow us to control our bodies in the situations you cite.

That's the point. No one ever steps out and declares what they want the choice to do. "Control of body" sounds like a trip to the dentist.

nbcrusader said:

That's the point. No one ever steps out and declares what they want the choice to do. "Control of body" sounds like a trip to the dentist.

What you and your wife do behind your closed doors is your business.

Antony Scalia Justice, Supreme Court , if he had his way, would like you charged with sodomy if you practiced anything besides standard missionary sex.

For the record, I am against what some call abortion on demand, anytime before nine months, as practiced in China.

However early termination, should be an option/ choice.

To say an 8 1/2-month pregnancy is not a viable human is as equally false as saying a fertilized egg is a human being, that at conception - a human being is created.

nbcrusader said:

I think everyone understands what is going on. How we describe things varies to change our response.

i know many women who would ask you to reconsider the question when you have your own womb to think about.

and this is why i don't really enter into the fray in abortion threads. it's fairly abstract for me, so i take an ultra-practical viewpoint -- i'm not concerned whether or not abortion is morally right or wrong, i'm concerned as to whether or not the outlawing of abortion will lead to greater health and social problems. women have always had abortions, women always will have abortions, and i think wanted children do better than unwanted children, and i don't think a woman should have to risk her life to have a baby. i also see a huge difference between a zygote and a breathing, screaming baby. i don't think any woman wants to have an abortion, and i think it is in everyone's best interests to make sure that women are in total control over when they get pregnant -- the best ways to do this are to educate people, give them outstanding health care from cradle to grave, equip young people with information and access to contraception, enable parents to instill their own views on sex and sexuality, empower young women to be in control over how they choose to express physical intimacy in ways other than intercourse, and to teach young men and women to respect each other's physical boundaries and to make good decisions.

This quote is from the post I put up about the Cardinal's view on Condoms and how it is the lesser evil compared to Aids.

"However, he acknowledged that in abortion, there were cases when the life of the mother was at risk where abortion might be considered the "lesser evil."

----Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060421/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_condoms -----statement at bottom of article.

martha said:
I disagree. You have no way of knowing what's going on within a woman's mind and heart when this kind of a decision is looming in her life.

With the ending of a life? Are you suggesting that some are not aware of this aspect of abortion?

Yes, nbc - I believe that some are not aware. I personally understood pro-choice much more at 18 than I have since I was 36. At 18 - I was totally worried about my future and where I was going. My outlook of having a child then was that I would not be able to offer him/her a decent future. Back then, if I was pregnant - I could not see a rosy future for any child that I might have. When I was 36 and pregnant - no matter what - the 3rd child I was carrying would enter this world. At 36, I knew that I'm the same person at different experience levels and different ideas. So I can totally relate to Martha's comment about not knowing what is going on in the heart and mind of a woman when this decision is looming in her life.

The knowledge to which I am referring is the taking of a life. Even with Martha's passionate arguments in favor of choice, it is never "I want the right to end the life of my child".

OH, and Martha:
Will you marry me?
I mean, I'm a girl and I'm already married...but I think you're FAB!! :heart:

I've been lurking on here since this started and you (and Irvine) have said everything I've been thinking.

nbcrusader said:

With the ending of a life? Are you suggesting that some are not aware of this aspect of abortion?

Does taking the morning after pill to prevent a pregnancy, fit your definition?

nbcrusader said:
The knowledge to which I am referring is the taking of a life. Even with Martha's passionate arguments in favor of choice, it is never "I want the right to end the life of my child".

You seem to think that these decisions are made lightly by these women. How do you know that exact thought isn't in the minds and hearts of some of these women? And yet their position is so dire that they still make that choice? You seem to think this is so black and white, so simple. You really do have no idea, do you? And yet you feel so comfortable in your own decisions about the choices of complete strangers. You're more than willing to tell them what they're allowed to do because you think you know better than they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom