What is your Take on Abortion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well abortion is a hell of a lot easier for me to go along with considering i dont believe a little blob of cells is a human being. Until the baby can live/breath on its own even fragily (say round 5 months) its technically still part of the woman and therefore her right to say whether she wants it or not.

plus as someone above said, can we get over the fact that people are not using this as a form of contraception, mistakes happen, the pill isnt 100% effective, medication can screw the pills benefits up, the condoms can break, they might do the pull out method and he doesnt pull out quick enough who knows. But the fact is people are going to have sex regardless of the risks, and because humans are humans mistakes will be made, babies will be made, and in many cases, totally unwanted.

I dont know if i personally could have an abortion, but if my boyf of a long time and i got pregnant we would definately keep it, BUT if it was a one night stand, why would i want to have a baby with someone i barely know OR why would i want to give up a child and know i have a child somewhere from a one night stand?! meh, it doesn't work.

dazzlingamy said:
BUT if it was a one night stand, why would i want to have a baby with someone i barely know OR why would i want to give up a child and know i have a child somewhere from a one night stand?! meh, it doesn't work.

But you're if willing to have sex with a person that you barely know don't you then have to willing to accept the consequences of such actions?

i tried to look at abortion from both sides, and im starting to realize im against it.

Irvine511 said:
so it seems to me that exceptions of "rape and/or incest" are really tied into the idea of forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term as a method of puritanical punishment for having sex, since rape and incest are most assuredly not sex (they are sexual crimes).

what such exceptions do is take the focus away from the fetus, and place the focus back on the behavior of the mother unmasking much (not all) of pro-life thought as misogyny in disguise.

Of course. But I think by pushing for a real answer to this question, whether here or in a political debate, the real truth of the anti-choice people will be unmasked.

martha said:

Of course. But I think by pushing for a real answer to this question, whether here or in a political debate, the real truth of the anti-choice people will be unmasked.

i think we also need to remind ourselves that sometimes, even the most virtuous of women get raped.

sluts, however, are always asking for it.

they need to be learned a good lesson. after all, this is why God created not just pregnancy, but STDs, and which is why we need to oppose the HPV vaccine lest it provide an incentive for our young women to fornicate.

(maximum irony intended)

Pro-Lifers don't give a shit about the baby once it's born; especially if the baby is born into poverty.

Bush's Pro-Life Agenda
U.S. MILITARY DEATHS IN IRAQ: 2375
IRAQI CIVILIAN DEATHS (MINIMUM): 34511

blueyedpoet said:
Pro-Lifers don't give a shit about the baby once it's born; especially if the baby is born into poverty.

Bush's Pro-Life Agenda
U.S. MILITARY DEATHS IN IRAQ: 2375
IRAQI CIVILIAN DEATHS (MINIMUM): 34511

That is total Bullshit. How do you know Pro-Lifer dont give a shit, unless it's your own personal experience.

Justin24 said:

That is total Bullshit. How do you know Pro-Lifer dont give a shit, unless it's your own personal experience.

Then where is the federally funded health care for children whose families can't afford it? Where is the federally funded birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place? Where is the legislation preventing pollutants from poisoning children? Where is the legislation allowing adoptions to take place within loving families of all kinds?

These things are continually opposed by the same noisy bunch who thinks that my uterus is under their control.

Justin24 said:

Yes, you're right...those numbers are bullshit. I just pulled them out of my ass. Bush has really given love hugs to nearly 3000 soldiers and at least 30000 Iraqis.

And, Martha is right. The same people who get their panties in a wad about abortion, are the same who oppose helping the poor. They're the ones who bitch about social welfare; they're the ones who want the poor to shoulder the tax burden; they're the ones who refuse to provide an adequote education for the poor; they're the ones who want poor children to go without health care.

I was not talking about the numbers I was talking about your other comments. Do you really think you have people figured out? Have you helped out at a soup kitchen, Brought cloths to the poor in other countries, or help rebuild an orphanage in Mexico that was falling apart?

Justin24 said:
Do you really think you have people figured out?

I don't, but I can make reasonable predictions about their behavior based on past experience and behavior. And most anti-choice people don't support the issues and laws that would give the children they want to "save" a decent life.

blueyedpoet said:

And, Martha is right. The same people who get their panties in a wad about abortion, are the same who oppose helping the poor.

Wrong....

They are opposed to the government taking their money to do it. The majority of of Christians that I know who oppose abortions are generous with their money to charities they choose and generous with their time.

Dreadsox said:

Wrong....

They are opposed to the government taking their money to do it. The majority of of Christians that I know who oppose abortions are generous with their money to charities they choose and generous with their time.

if some of their money goes to needy people

why care who delivers it?

deep said:

if some of their money goes to needy people

why care who delivers it?

I will have to ask them that....

I am going to assume that they believe governement waste gets in the way....

Excellent q.

Justin24 said:
I was not talking about the numbers I was talking about your other comments. Do you really think you have people figured out? Have you helped out at a soup kitchen, Brought cloths to the poor in other countries, or help rebuild an orphanage in Mexico that was falling apart?

Um, yes. I have people figured out. You see, I'm a philosophy major at UCLA. Thus, I'm brilliant.:wink:

Why should I list my volunteer activities? And, what has that got to do with anything? What good will comparing our good deeds do? That's really cool though, if you helped rebuild an orphanage in Mexico.

I'm saying, many of those who claim they support family values and are against abortions, do not favor policies that help out struggling families. I see that as hypocritical. If we helped the poor, chances are there will be less abortions.

Why don't we work towards creating a society that has little use for abortion? Let's create a society where every pregnancy is a wanted pregnancy.

blueyedpoet said:

Why don't we work towards creating a society that has little use for abortion? Let's create a society where every pregnancy is a wanted pregnancy.

Absolutely!!!

And this includes realistic sex ed programs, not this shit that the current admin is trying to push...

Angela Harlem said:
Justin I really hope you realise that no one in here likes abortion. No one flippantly thinks it is just ok. Those who support the choice for abortion realise what it is. They're deciding based on more than a (narrow) look at one aspect of the decision and procedure. This apparent total lack of understanding that the woman who experiences an aborted pregnancy is not affected is just sad. How she is affected is tremendous. Dont ever assume the support for choice advocates feel any different.

:up:Thank you....I personally think it is wrong,although Ive not been put in that postion.I support the freedom of choice for other women though.

corianderstem said:

People often mention women who use abortion as a form of contraception, but ... really? Does anyone know a woman who is so lackadasical about abortion as to shrug and say, "Oops, pregnant again. Time for a trip to the clinic!"

It sounds to me like a pro-life argument against abortion, when really it just doesn't happen. (Or, if it does, is very, very rare.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "some women treat abortion as a form of contraception" sounds an awful lot like saying those who are pro-choice are pro-abortion (i.e., a pretty darned incorrect statement).

Did you read my original post or what, I said "I have a PROBLEM (ie: concern) with SOME (ie: very tinny-winny amount) women using adoption CONSISTENTLY (ie: alot) as a form of contraception"

I'll repeat myself again, i am 100% PRO-CHOICE (ie: PRO-ABORTION)

And for the record, i once knew a woman who had four(4) abortions, cause' she (her own words) "hated condoms,hated the pill (because she forgot to take it all the time,not because she could'nt), thought IUD's and any other insertion was just plain gross". I was also alarmed that she was'nt the only tool in the world who thought that way!(That's WHY i said SOME!!!)

fly so high! said:

And for the record, i once knew a woman who had four(4) abortions, cause' she (her own words) "hated condoms,hated the pill (because she forgot to take it all the time,not because she could'nt), thought IUD's and any other insertion was just plain gross". I was also alarmed that she was'nt the only tool in the world who thought that way!(That's WHY i said SOME!!!)

While her attitude is repugnant, I'm glad she isn't raising kids. :shudder:

fly so high! said:

Did you read my original post or what, I said "I have a PROBLEM (ie: concern) with SOME (ie: very tinny-winny amount) women using adoption CONSISTENTLY (ie: alot) as a form of contraception"

Sounds like we are dancing around the issue of "why" - and I'm not sure it needs to be answered.

Given the number of abortions performed in the US, it far exceeds the potential rape, incest, life of the mother cases that are offered as the generally accepted reasons.

And, in places like Russia, abortion is the primary method of birth control.

fly so high, my post wasn't meant as a criticism directed at you. I'm sorry if you took it that way.

It's just that I've heard that comment often in any discussion about abortion, and I was always curious about it.

nbcrusader said:

Given the number of abortions performed in the US, it far exceeds the potential rape, incest, life of the mother cases that are offered as the generally accepted reasons.

"Generally accepted" by whom? Choice is about choice, not about if the choice meets a total stranger's criteria of acceptable.

nbcrusader said:
And, in places like Russia, abortion is the primary method of birth control.

Because they don't have access to other means of birth control. Give those women access to condoms and the Pill, and you'd lessen the use of abortion as birth control.

martha said:
"Generally accepted" by whom? Choice is about choice, not about if the choice meets a total stranger's criteria of acceptable.

Arguments for 'choice' are usually framed and led by the more compelling rape, incest, life of the mother and not with the statement "I want to kill my baby".

nbcrusader said:

Arguments for 'choice' are usually framed and led by the more compelling rape, incest, life of the mother and not with the statement "I want to kill my baby".

is a zygote a baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom